Changing a native system symbol?
03-24-2020, 04:05 AM
Changing a native system symbol?
Hi,

Is it possible to change a system symbol? I want to change the native angle symbol to the one shown below. Yes, just for cosmetic reasons. Thanks

[Image: 1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2020, 07:00 AM
RE: Changing a native system symbol?
Hello,

In short, on Prime G2, No...
on Prime G1, might be possible...

To change the symbol, you need to change the character typeface...
The typeface is a file somewhere in the datas that are part of the OS updates..

on G1, if you find the file (look for true type font header), you might be able to change it...
G2 is protected by a digital signature, so it will not be possible there as your change would render the update file invalid...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
03-24-2020, 10:49 PM
(03-24-2020 07:00 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

In short, on Prime G2, No...
on Prime G1, might be possible...

To change the symbol, you need to change the character typeface...
The typeface is a file somewhere in the datas that are part of the OS updates..

on G1, if you find the file (look for true type font header), you might be able to change it...
G2 is protected by a digital signature, so it will not be possible there as your change would render the update file invalid...

Cyrille

Cyrille, could you be more specific please? My calculator is a G1 and I looked at the PRIME_APP.DAT file but not sure if it's the one. It's all coded and I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
03-25-2020, 06:39 AM
hello,

If you look in the .DAT file, you will see at one point " FFTM" which is part of the true type font header... This is the font that needs modification...

First, you will need to extract the data that correspond to said font, edit it, and then put it back in the .dat file... and hope that the new file is smaller than the old one...

It is not an easy task for someone who is not a "hacker" (in the old, good sense of the term)

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
03-25-2020, 03:59 PM
(03-25-2020 06:39 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  hello,

If you look in the .DAT file, you will see at one point " FFTM" which is part of the true type font header... This is the font that needs modification...

First, you will need to extract the data that correspond to said font, edit it, and then put it back in the .dat file... and hope that the new file is smaller than the old one...

It is not an easy task for someone who is not a "hacker" (in the old, good sense of the term)

Cyrille

Aah! - The good old days with hex-editors!
I remember POKEing around with Forth-Assembler Module (HP-71B) etc
- -
VPN
04-03-2020, 02:15 AM
Just reviving this thread. Anyone could help me to do that? I definitely lack the hex-editing skills! Thanks
04-03-2020, 02:59 AM
(04-03-2020 02:15 AM)Dands Wrote:  Just reviving this thread. Anyone could help me to do that? I definitely lack the hex-editing skills! Thanks

Just so you understand, you're asking someone with lots of related skills to spend a LOT of time (many hours) doing tedious work, just so one person can see a different angle symbol for admittedly cosmetic reasons? Really? Good Luck! Smile

--Bob Prosperi
04-03-2020, 03:08 AM
(04-03-2020 02:59 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-03-2020 02:15 AM)Dands Wrote:  Just reviving this thread. Anyone could help me to do that? I definitely lack the hex-editing skills! Thanks

Just so you understand, you're asking someone with lots of related skills to spend a LOT of time (many hours) doing tedious work, just so one person can see a different angle symbol for admittedly cosmetic reasons? Really? Good Luck! Smile

I had no idea that a "LOT" of time was required for this. And I asked for help - not for someone to do it all for me while I wait. Have a great night. Smile
04-03-2020, 07:15 AM
Hello,

What you need to do is to take the emulator, find the font make a copy, change the character that you are interested in using some TTF font editor. Save this font.
You now have 2 versions of the font. try the new one with the emulator to make sure that you have what you want...
Make sure that the new file is smaller or equal in size to the old one...

Now, step 2 is to located the font binary data in the prime G1 binary files. Using a hex editor or some other tool. Once you have located it, replace the data with the data coming from your modified font file.

Download to the calc and hope it works...

If you have already done such things, it should take you a couple of hours. If it is your first time using such tools, it might take a couple of days.

Cyrille

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)