newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
06-15-2022, 03:50 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1497 [official build remains at 1487]
(06-15-2022 03:37 PM)The Shadow Wrote:  The dot at the end of the number means it's not an exact value.

Ahh - got it! I see it doesn't happen with something like 1/4 being 0.25 (not 0.25.)

I also confirmed that the Esc(hold) - On button turns off the calc. Having this ability has allowed me to "clear" the graphical glitch I get sometimes (as shown a few posts back). I was able to turn off the calc, and turn it back on to clear the glitch (sometimes it takes a few tries though)...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2022, 07:32 PM
One more question regarding fonts on the Prime...

The default font is quite large - OK for the stack, but too big for the menus. I have successfully set the menus to Font10A (which is much smaller than the default font size), but setting the stack to this font makes it too small to be usable. Once the default fonts are changed, is there no way to get back to the default font without a reset? The documentation shows Font10A as the largest - but there must be a larger one internally stored that is bigger and used as the default. Does that font have a name that can be used with the ->FNT commands?
06-19-2022, 05:02 AM
(06-15-2022 07:32 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  One more question regarding fonts on the Prime...

The default font is quite large - OK for the stack, but too big for the menus. I have successfully set the menus to Font10A (which is much smaller than the default font size), but setting the stack to this font makes it too small to be usable. Once the default fonts are changed, is there no way to get back to the default font without a reset? The documentation shows Font10A as the largest - but there must be a larger one internally stored that is bigger and used as the default. Does that font have a name that can be used with the ->FNT commands?

Lots of questions:

On the keyboard: Esc-Hold replaced On-hold (so it's not only to turn it off, all the shortcuts to change precision, number formatting, etc. that use On-hold on the 50g will work with Esc-hold on the Prime).
On the Fonts issue: Prime includes 2 additional fonts, 'Font18' and 'Font24', which are the defaults for the menus and the stack respectively. You are completely right, the ideal font for the menus seems to be an intermediate between 'Font10A' and 'Font18', most likely a 14 pixels high font which hasn't been created so far.
06-19-2022, 05:10 AM
(06-14-2022 02:39 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for all the questions lately - and if the dev is busy that's totally OK.

For the Prime G1 implementation of newRPL:
- Is there a way to power off the calc, or do you just have to wait until it powers off automatically?
- Why are decimals values shown with a decimal as the separator, AND at the end of the number on the stack?
- I have experienced a graphics glitch several times since installing it on my Rev C hardware. This happens when it is powered down, and I press the On key to turn it on. The screen will be flickering and dark, and I can't get out of it without poking the reset button on the back. I would try turning it off and back on, but I don't think there is a button for this (see first question). I haven't left it in this condition long enough to see if it powers down automatically. It is still operational when in this state, but the screen looks bad. See this video for example: https://youtube.com/shorts/GPUZUKkSK2U

Thanks

We are well aware of this: it only happens if you turn the display off and back on quickly. The solution is to turn the calc off, wait 2 seconds or more, then turn it back on. We haven't been able to pinpoint the issue but it seems that when you turn off and back on quickly the LCD driver chip starts from a corrupted state. So far the only solution found was to slow down the off/on sequence, but we want newRPL to be instantaneous when you press the On key (unlike the PrimeOS, which will make you wait a short second), so slowing down is NOT a valid solution hence not implemented.
06-20-2022, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the responses!

Glad to know the graphics issue isn't just me...

The additional font names are also helpful. I think I can deal with the smaller font for the menus, but now I at least know what the two names are to reassign them if I mess things up.

Now that I know how to turn off the calc (from the other responses above) - I can at least recover from the graphics glitch without having to reset (and lose all memory).

Do you see the possibility in the future of a version that has persistent memory, but doesn't have the potential to dual boot (all newRPL, all the time)? I put together a KB overlay (key labels only) that accounts for the keys with revised functions, but when I put them on, I can't see the OG labels for the Prime OS functions. I already have a Prime G2 that will always have Prime OS on it, so I am totally OK with a dedicated firmware if there wasn't a risk of losing all items that were stored (settings, variables, programs, etc).

For reference, this is my KB layout. It has a few things that are missing (namely a couple of the functions that require a hold-shift combo), and it reflects the duplicated << >> assignments...

I have printed this on vinyl sticker stock and cut it out with my Cricut, and it works nicely thus far!

Thanks again!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-21-2022, 01:16 PM
(06-20-2022 02:47 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Do you see the possibility in the future of a version that has persistent memory, but doesn't have the potential to dual boot (all newRPL, all the time)? I put together a KB overlay (key labels only) that accounts for the keys with revised functions, but when I put them on, I can't see the OG labels for the Prime OS functions. I already have a Prime G2 that will always have Prime OS on it, so I am totally OK with a dedicated firmware if there wasn't a risk of losing all items that were stored (settings, variables, programs, etc).

I personally always felt the dual boot was necessary in order to convince people to turn their Prime into a newRPL machine, since they wouldn't really lose their precious Prime.
But since the Prime G2 was released, you can have a "better" Prime then use your old G1 for newRPL. The main problem with newRPL not being persistent is not technical, but legal: the HP Prime uses a YAFFS file system for the flash partition, which is released under the GPL license. This means if newRPL wants to read/write to that partition the firmware will become "infected" with the GPL license.
Taking over completely we could of course use a different flash file system with a more compatible licensing.
Right now newRPL can write to the FAT partition mounted as an SD card, so you can use SDARCHIVE and SDRESTORE to achieve persistence across reboots.
06-21-2022, 02:16 PM
(06-21-2022 01:16 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-20-2022 02:47 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Do you see the possibility in the future of a version that has persistent memory, but doesn't have the potential to dual boot (all newRPL, all the time)? I put together a KB overlay (key labels only) that accounts for the keys with revised functions, but when I put them on, I can't see the OG labels for the Prime OS functions. I already have a Prime G2 that will always have Prime OS on it, so I am totally OK with a dedicated firmware if there wasn't a risk of losing all items that were stored (settings, variables, programs, etc).

I personally always felt the dual boot was necessary in order to convince people to turn their Prime into a newRPL machine, since they wouldn't really lose their precious Prime.
But since the Prime G2 was released, you can have a "better" Prime then use your old G1 for newRPL. The main problem with newRPL not being persistent is not technical, but legal: the HP Prime uses a YAFFS file system for the flash partition, which is released under the GPL license. This means if newRPL wants to read/write to that partition the firmware will become "infected" with the GPL license.
Taking over completely we could of course use a different flash file system with a more compatible licensing.
Right now newRPL can write to the FAT partition mounted as an SD card, so you can use SDARCHIVE and SDRESTORE to achieve persistence across reboots.
Thanks for the clarification - I have been getting things set here with those SD commands - but I need to get it all "dialed in" again before doing it again (based on your previous cautions about overusing those for wear reasons).
07-02-2022, 05:27 PM
(06-19-2022 05:10 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-14-2022 02:39 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for all the questions lately - and if the dev is busy that's totally OK.

For the Prime G1 implementation of newRPL:
- Is there a way to power off the calc, or do you just have to wait until it powers off automatically?
- Why are decimals values shown with a decimal as the separator, AND at the end of the number on the stack?
- I have experienced a graphics glitch several times since installing it on my Rev C hardware. This happens when it is powered down, and I press the On key to turn it on. The screen will be flickering and dark, and I can't get out of it without poking the reset button on the back. I would try turning it off and back on, but I don't think there is a button for this (see first question). I haven't left it in this condition long enough to see if it powers down automatically. It is still operational when in this state, but the screen looks bad. See this video for example: https://youtube.com/shorts/GPUZUKkSK2U

Thanks

We are well aware of this: it only happens if you turn the display off and back on quickly. The solution is to turn the calc off, wait 2 seconds or more, then turn it back on. We haven't been able to pinpoint the issue but it seems that when you turn off and back on quickly the LCD driver chip starts from a corrupted state. So far the only solution found was to slow down the off/on sequence, but we want newRPL to be instantaneous when you press the On key (unlike the PrimeOS, which will make you wait a short second), so slowing down is NOT a valid solution hence not implemented.

Just got a Prime G1 rev C, installed newRPL and have the same screen flickering issue as above.
Waiting minutes before restart does not help with mine.
Only fix i found is to reset the calculator that brings me back to HP system and memory lost on newRPL.
Is there any work around that issue ?
07-02-2022, 05:30 PM
(07-02-2022 05:27 PM)Chr Yoko Wrote:  
(06-19-2022 05:10 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  We are well aware of this: it only happens if you turn the display off and back on quickly. The solution is to turn the calc off, wait 2 seconds or more, then turn it back on. We haven't been able to pinpoint the issue but it seems that when you turn off and back on quickly the LCD driver chip starts from a corrupted state. So far the only solution found was to slow down the off/on sequence, but we want newRPL to be instantaneous when you press the On key (unlike the PrimeOS, which will make you wait a short second), so slowing down is NOT a valid solution hence not implemented.

Just got a Prime G1 rev C, installed newRPL and have the same screen flickering issue as above.
Waiting minutes before restart does not help with mine.
Only fix i found is to reset the calculator that brings me back to HP system and memory lost on newRPL.
Is there any work around that issue ?

I find that turning it of by using Esc(hold) + On to turn off, and waiting 5-10 seconds generally works. Sometimes it doesn't, but I just try again, and evenutally I can get it back. I haven't had to reset after the flickering screen since I found the key combo for turning off.
07-03-2022, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2022 06:54 AM by Chr Yoko.)
I tried this many times without any result, i am still stuck into the blinky screen.
Only fix a hard reset using a pin. Other solution is to remove the battery.
Will try to re-install newRPL.

Edit:
1) I re-installed newRPL build 1497 using the newRPL desktop.
=> had an Exception Err:55755555
But no change, always the blinking screen at power "On"
2) I downgraded the Prime firmware to the 2021 04 28 version instead of the latest one from 2021 12
re- "bundled" newRPL 1497 with it and installed it
But no change, always the blinking screen at power "On"

then i played with the "On - Esc" then "On", waiting up to 5 min between Off and On... Still the blinking screen.
The i tried the opposite with fast cycling "off - on" and bingo got a succes after a dozen tries. I can repeat it.

As a conclusion, i would say that the "On" will work only if the calculator is at a certain state while on sleep mode. Just need some luck to catch that "certain state"...

edit 2: I tried to downgrade the Prime firmware to the 2020-01-16 version as i saw into another thread that it was free of some bugs on the Wait function. But that did not fixed my flickering issue at power on. Even worst i believe as i never was able to power on without the flickering after many trials. So i gave up and went back to the latest firmware version from 2021-12.

Actual status is that my Prime G1 with 2021-12 firmware and newRPL rev 1497 is perfectly useable after some quick "ON-OFF" cycling until it gets out of the flickering state.
I can enjoy and discover that great newRPL application now !
Thanks again to the creator(s) of such amazing tool/toy.

PS: I also ordered a cheap HP39GS from Ali to convert it to newRPL too as the used HP-50G market has become un-reasonable at the moment
10-06-2022, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2022 09:04 AM by Klaus.)
Hello, installed the new firmware for HP 50 and newRPL Desktop on Windows PC (Win11). The USB dialog recognizes the HP50 but also tells me that the device is not responding. I upgraded my PC to Win11 a few days ago. Win10 everything perfect. What can I do?
Greetings Klaus
10-10-2022, 02:52 AM
(10-06-2022 02:32 PM)Klaus Wrote:  Hello, installed the new firmware for HP 50 and newRPL Desktop on Windows PC (Win11). The USB dialog recognizes the HP50 but also tells me that the device is not responding. I upgraded my PC to Win11 a few days ago. Win10 everything perfect. What can I do?
Greetings Klaus

I haven't had a chance to test it with Windows 11. Maybe it just needs to be recompiled with newer libraries to run well on Win 11. Unfortunately I don't have any windows 11 machine, my advice would be to try to build it from sources following the wiki. I think if you compile it on your win11 machine with latest Qt5 version it should work better.
01-23-2023, 01:52 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
All firmware targets were upgraded to build 1510. See first post for details.

Not too many changes this time, merely enabling a primitive touch support on HP Prime G1.

Life has kept me away from coding for the project for quite a while. I'm hoping I can get some lines of code in in the next few months, as things settle down and newRPL comes back into active development.

I don't have Windows 11, but as Klaus reported above there could be issues with connectivity. Within the next few months I'll try to run some tests somehow to make sure it all works well.

Thanks to everyone for your patience. Looking for some feedback to define priorities for the next few months.
01-24-2023, 03:47 PM
Hello,

In universities, algorithmic logic is taught with standard languages like python, c#, etc. possibly LISP at most.

I always wanted to teach a course on algorithmic logic with RPL language, but to make this a reality you have to adapt the NEW-RPL GUI to a panel interface with a source code editor and an I/O console.
I think the learning curve would be faster instead of standard languages, also an unknown programming paradigm would be revealed.
01-28-2023, 05:02 AM
(10-06-2022 02:32 PM)Klaus Wrote:  Hello, installed the new firmware for HP 50 and newRPL Desktop on Windows PC (Win11). The USB dialog recognizes the HP50 but also tells me that the device is not responding. I upgraded my PC to Win11 a few days ago. Win10 everything perfect. What can I do?
Greetings Klaus

I know this is an older post, but I just confirmed that I was able to update the firmware from 1487 to 1509 (reported by "VERSION" on the calc) on my Prime G1 using the newRPL desktop on a Windows 11 PC. I plugged directly into the USB port of the laptop (no hub or anything). I thought this was supposed to be 1510?

Anyway, once the upgrade was done, I am no longer able to get the PC to recognize the calculator. So it worked once, and that was it ;-)
01-28-2023, 05:20 AM
(01-28-2023 05:02 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  
Greetings Klaus

I know this is an older post, but I just confirmed that I was able to update the firmware from 1487 to 1509 (reported by "VERSION" on the calc) on my Prime G1 using the newRPL desktop on a Windows 11 PC. I plugged directly into the USB port of the laptop (no hub or anything). I thought this was supposed to be 1510?

Anyway, once the upgrade was done, I am no longer able to get the PC to recognize the calculator. So it worked once, and that was it ;-)

UPDATE:
I ended up resetting the calculator with the button on the back, and went back into newRPL via the On+Symb then Esc commands. I plugged into the PC again, and it was recognized.

However, I have of course lost all my variables/memory (I had been using the Prime firmware for quite a while until just now...

I was checking to see if I did a USB archive backup to the PC, but apparently I didn't. I am pretty sure that I did one on the calc with the SDARCHIVE command, but I don't recall the syntax (or the filename, if there was one) to do the restore. Is there a way to see what I have saved as archive files?
01-29-2023, 01:42 AM
(01-28-2023 05:20 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(01-28-2023 05:02 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  I know this is an older post, but I just confirmed that I was able to update the firmware from 1487 to 1509 (reported by "VERSION" on the calc) on my Prime G1 using the newRPL desktop on a Windows 11 PC. I plugged directly into the USB port of the laptop (no hub or anything). I thought this was supposed to be 1510?

UPDATE:
I ended up resetting the calculator with the button on the back, and went back into newRPL via the On+Symb then Esc commands. I plugged into the PC again, and it was recognized.

However, I have of course lost all my variables/memory (I had been using the Prime firmware for quite a while until just now...

I was checking to see if I did a USB archive backup to the PC, but apparently I didn't. I am pretty sure that I did one on the calc with the SDARCHIVE command, but I don't recall the syntax (or the filename, if there was one) to do the restore. Is there a way to see what I have saved as archive files?

If you can't remember the file name you can do this:
Code:

"/" SDOPENDIR
'HANDLE' STO
This will leave a file handle on the stack (a hex number, will be #3h if you didn't open any other files before) which we are storing into a variable for later use. You'll also see the letters HC show up in the status area, indicating the file system was mounted.
Now you can use that handle to see what files are in the directory:
Code:

HANDLE SDNEXTFILE
You can repeat this until you see the name you are looking for, or get the "END OF FILE" error, indicating you reached the end of the directory, so no more files in there.
Now you close the directory with:
Code:

HANDLE SDCLOSE
01-29-2023, 01:53 AM
(01-28-2023 05:02 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  
Greetings Klaus

If it says 1509 then I likely forgot to rebuild before uploading. Ignore that for now, it is identical, I just had to commit to the repository then rebuild so it picks up the version number automatically.
Regarding Windows 11... since I can't test anything, I googled around and saw some issues with Windows 11 due to overzealous power saving options. Search youtube for Windows 11 not recognizing USB devices and try the fixes they recommend.
01-29-2023, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2023 03:24 AM by spiff72.)
(01-29-2023 01:42 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(01-28-2023 05:20 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  UPDATE:

If you can't remember the file name you can do this:
Code:

"/" SDOPENDIR
'HANDLE' STO
This will leave a file handle on the stack (a hex number, will be #3h if you didn't open any other files before) which we are storing into a variable for later use. You'll also see the letters HC show up in the status area, indicating the file system was mounted.
Now you can use that handle to see what files are in the directory:
Code:

HANDLE SDNEXTFILE
You can repeat this until you see the name you are looking for, or get the "END OF FILE" error, indicating you reached the end of the directory, so no more files in there.
Now you close the directory with:
Code:

HANDLE SDCLOSE
OK - trying to follow the instructions, but I hit a snag on the second character. How do you enter the slash character ( / )?

EDIT: Found it - right-shift and the divide key.

Cycling through now. Is there a way to repeat the:
HANDLE SDNEXTFILE
command other than typing it in over and over?
01-29-2023, 03:47 AM
Ugh - thanks for your help with this...

I figured out my issue with repeating that command over and over. I saved it to a variable/program name, but when trying to execute it I had forgotten to toggle the menu, and I was executing a random math function for the math menu I was in.

Now I am struggling with the syntax of the SDRESTORE command. I found the filename was "BACKUP1".

I have tried:
SDRESTORE BACKUP1
SDRESTORE "BACKUP1"

I also tried the above after opening the SD card with the commands you showed above.

I keep getting error SDRESTORE Error: Ident or Path expected.

Any suggestions? The wiki doesn't have a page for the syntax of this command, but I obviously figured out how to use the SDARCHIVE command many months ago.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)