NORMALD_ICDF (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT)
03-07-2020, 10:52 AM
RE: NORMALD_ICDF (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT)
Where would such a thing go? It doesn't really fit in inference app particularly...? But maybe closest place.

Thoughts?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Yeah, ain't that something that Wes put together?
I'm also having trouble seeing this as a part of the Inference app, for how would one pull up the main menu?

Wes actually created a new toolbox function: one wizard function to rule them all.
Maybe it could just be added there?
Math - Probability - Density - Wizard
03-07-2020, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 08:18 PM by Wes Loewer.)
(03-07-2020 10:52 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Where would such a thing go? It doesn't really fit in inference app particularly...? But maybe closest place.

Thoughts?

What I was originally thinking was not part of an App at all, but just using the same probability distribution commands with no arguments to pop up a UI. The commands are easy enough to get to using the Toolbox key.

The Inference App might be okay. Another option would be to make a new Probability Distribution App with an appropriate visual with Plot. However, I suspect you probably don't want to add more Apps.

(And asking for a Prob Distr App might reduce the chance of someday getting that Diff.Eq. App that I've always longed for. Big Grin )
03-09-2020, 12:37 AM
The issue with popping up a wizard with no arguments in my mind is that it works ok in some situations, but feels quite out of place in general use... Then the expectation is set that every command should have something pop up. And those that don't take arguments as default... Dunno. Feels wanky. Smile

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-09-2020, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2020 03:34 AM by Wes Loewer.)
(03-09-2020 12:37 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The issue with popping up a wizard with no arguments in my mind is that it works ok in some situations, but feels quite out of place in general use... Then the expectation is set that every command should have something pop up. And those that don't take arguments as default... Dunno. Feels wanky. Smile

I see what you mean. I guess since I've seen the 84+ so much in class and it specifically has "stat wizards" that it doesn't seem out of place for me to consider these functions as special exceptions. The 84+ has a mode setting to turn these stat wizards on or off, but that would not be necessary if the "no arguments" method were used. Anybody who didn't want the wizards would simply use arguments. You are right though that you want to keep the bigger design picture in mind.

You certainaly don't want to use the 84 as a model of good design. While I've always appreciated the positive impact the stat wizards had on the students, the 84 does have a bit of a kluge feel to it. (I'm thinking specifically of the use of the Alpha key to do non-alpha tasks like the Alpha-Function key menus, Alpha-Enter to Solve, and now on the 84+CE the Alpha-X|T|θ|n key to get a stacked fraction.) You get the feeling that they've just tacked on one thing after another since the TI-81 until they've gotten to where they are today.
03-09-2020, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2020 06:11 AM by parisse.)
The wizard could be launched from the menu. Toolbox key>Proba>Cumulative or Inverse then select the command opens thew wizard (the wizard would have an option to enter the commandname only).
03-14-2020, 11:38 AM
I like the concept of a new app. I started working on this project early last year but family health problems have prevented me from actually developing it. The app paradigm is wonderful (symbolic, graphic, numeric).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)