Alternative case for the HP-41
01-29-2020, 06:09 PM
Alternative case for the HP-41
I found that my oldest HP-41 case leaves a powdery residue on the calculator. Are there any suitable replacements for it? Preferably one that fits an HP-41 without a card reader.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2020, 06:34 PM
RE: Alternative case for the HP-41
The powdery residue comes from the black lining inside the case. Put the cases into the washing machine and choose a "soft" program. You may even turn the inside out to get better results. That usually solves the problem.
01-29-2020, 07:41 PM
(01-29-2020 06:34 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  The powdery residue comes from the black lining inside the case. Put the cases into the washing machine and choose a "soft" program. You may even turn the inside out to get better results. That usually solves the problem.

Yes, that's how to solve this problem.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2020, 07:46 PM
(01-29-2020 07:41 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(01-29-2020 06:34 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  The powdery residue comes from the black lining inside the case. Put the cases into the washing machine and choose a "soft" program. You may even turn the inside out to get better results. That usually solves the problem.

Yes, that's how to solve this problem.

1 +

An alternate and easier procedure, if you have access to an air compressor with a trigger nozzle, is to just blow it around inside, holding the case upside-down (so the junk falls out). The high pressure stream has enough impact that it definitely loosens all the disintegrated lining stuck along the walls.

Using either method, you may have to repeat the procedure every 6-8 years.

--Bob Prosperi
01-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Go to your local electronics/office supply store (Best Buy, Staples, etc.) and look at the cases for portable hard drives. I have one I got at Best Buy about 5 years ago. The top 1/3 has a zipper, it's lightly padded, and there's a pouch on the front that's perfect for stuffing a few QRGs, overlays, mini notebooks, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2020, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2020 08:46 PM by smp.)
I've found the case for the HP48 is an excellent case for the HP-41 also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard...Swh0BeMLAV

Inexpensively available, as opposed to trying to acquire an original HP-41 case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Zipper-Case-...SwlThcO5yV

smp
01-29-2020, 10:46 PM
(01-29-2020 08:45 PM)smp Wrote:  Inexpensively available, as opposed to trying to acquire an original HP-41 case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Zipper-Case-...SwlThcO5yV

You just have to be patient, and be ready to pounce when you find the right deal. I got an original 41 case in perfect shape for $20 a few weeks ago.

Though the best case for a 41 IMHO is an HP-45 black leather case. It fits perfectly and is much classier than any of the other options. These too are often listed at ridiculous prices, but I just got one in mint condition for $29.

--Bob Prosperi
01-30-2020, 12:01 AM
When I do not use the card reader, I found that the Spice/Spike cases are perfect for the HP-41C, also, they do not degrade like the original case.
01-30-2020, 12:31 AM
(01-30-2020 12:01 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  When I do not use the card reader, I found that the Spice/Spike cases are perfect for the HP-41C, also, they do not degrade like the original case.

Good point, my suggestion above only applies for a 41 w/o card reader.

As for Spice cases, I never tried that before now; nice idea Smile

I found the 41 fits perfectly in the larger/padded style Spice/Spike cases, but not really in the smaller/un-padded style. The latter style is too tight, and also, un-padded, which IMHO is too dangerous for carrying a 41; one drop in that and it will likely cost you post damage.

--Bob Prosperi
01-30-2020, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 06:56 PM by aurelio.)
(01-30-2020 12:31 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 12:01 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  When I do not use the card reader, I found that the Spice/Spike cases are perfect for the HP-41C, also, they do not degrade like the original case.

Good point, my suggestion above only applies for a 41 w/o card reader.

As for Spice cases, I never tried that before now; nice idea Smile

I found the 41 fits perfectly in the larger/padded style Spice/Spike cases, but not really in the smaller/un-padded style. The latter style is too tight, and also, un-padded, which IMHO is too dangerous for carrying a 41; one drop in that and it will likely cost you post damage.
absolutely agree with Sylvain and with Bob, the larger/padded Spice's case fit perfectly and safely for the 41 c/readerless, and better slips into a suitcase/briefcase when you travel
for the cleaning I solved with hand washing and multiple rinse
the problem is when the calculator is affected... when I received time ago from Perù a calculator in very good conditions near mint but full of powdery residue inside and expecially under the display. Worried in opening it just from cleaning pourpose I simply returned the purchase and who knows if some guy was able to reset it to pristine conditions Smile
01-30-2020, 07:03 PM

My 41CLs are in the HP-70 case. The zipper goes nearly down to the bottom of the case and you can easily get out the calculator out without scratches.
01-31-2020, 01:55 AM
Probably worth mentioning that Samson Cables carries their own line of calculator cases for various HP series, including the 41, 48, and Pioneer series. You can find them on their website or on TAS. I have several for the 41's I acquired without cases. They have a decent amount of padding and include a belt loop if you really want to go retro. No engineering student in the 70's was without one!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Lots of good suggestions, many thanks!

(01-31-2020 01:55 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Probably worth mentioning that Samson Cables carries their own line of calculator cases for various HP series, including the 41, 48, and Pioneer series. You can find them on their website or on TAS. I have several for the 41's I acquired without cases. They have a decent amount of padding and include a belt loop if you really want to go retro. No engineering student in the 70's was without one!

That leather field case looks interesting, though it fits the card reader. There is also a case for Woodstock/Nut, but only available in maroon at the moment. Which one did you get?

The comments about other cases made me look in my drawer for my unrestored HP-67 which has a nice well padded case, though it is a bit thick to accompany magnetic cards and quick reference cards. It seems like a good fit for the HP-41, I will borrow that for a while from the HP-67.
02-01-2020, 02:18 AM
(01-31-2020 05:23 PM)hth Wrote:  That leather field case looks interesting, though it fits the card reader. There is also a case for Woodstock/Nut, but only available in maroon at the moment. Which one did you get?

The comments about other cases made me look in my drawer for my unrestored HP-67 which has a nice well padded case, though it is a bit thick to accompany magnetic cards and quick reference cards. It seems like a good fit for the HP-41, I will borrow that for a while from the HP-67.

I have three or four of the Woodstock/Nut cases in both black and maroon. They have a snug but not overly tight fit for a readerless 41. No empty space on sides, top or bottom, so it's almost like holding the calculator itself. +1 for the 67 case too. I received an empty one with a set of other calculators, and the inside pocket is perfect for qrc's and keyboard overlays. A bit bulky, but no worries about dropping the case!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
02-01-2020, 04:03 AM
I used a vacuum with a small nozzle to suck out the black powder.
07-31-2021, 08:51 AM
I ordered my alternative case. I am happy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1053133635/...ve_1&frs=1

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
07-31-2021, 01:55 PM
(07-31-2021 08:51 AM)floppy Wrote:  I ordered my alternative case. I am happy.

Hi, nice case, but maybe just one piece was available Smile
08-01-2021, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2021 04:31 PM by floppy.)
(07-31-2021 01:55 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 08:51 AM)floppy Wrote:  I ordered my alternative case. I am happy.

Hi, nice case, but maybe just one piece was available Smile
Just ask the seller if and when he can sell the same to you.
I will re-order when I need a case.
(I am not the seller).

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
08-01-2021, 11:27 PM
(01-30-2020 07:03 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  

My 41CLs are in the HP-70 case. The zipper goes nearly down to the bottom of the case and you can easily get out the calculator out without scratches.
If you mean the dark brown zipper case with very long zipper, then yes, that case,
which I also found on 45's and 55's , is my favourite case for the HP-41, too.

Of the genuine classic leather cases, the smaller ones are too tight imho.
The calc will fit in, but cannot just be taken out without force.
Maybe the genuine leather cases for the HP-65/67 are easier to use, since they are slightly wider.

As for the original zipper cases for the HP-41:
The first batch, with wide zipper teeth and small, rightangled zipper handle from SCO,
is the one which was shipped with the first years' HP-41C (and maybe early CV's).
Those zipper cases are the ones which generally make trouble related to dissolving inner foam.

Actually even the first batch of zipper cases for the HP-71B has the same problem.

Some time ago I took a bunch of my first batch cases, turned them inside out,
and threw them into the washing machine.
It worked fine, but the action turning them inside out, and then back inside again,
showed additional outside wear not present before that action.
After all, those cases are more than 40 year of age.

However the general solution is to replace the defective zipper with a newer one,
with short or long rounded handle. This may not be possible with 71B cases.

As for the zipper cases for Spice Series calcs:
The ones I had here were all too small for the HP-41.
The 41 will fit, but you have to have to apply too much force just to get the zipper closed.
Prone to damage the zipper and scratch the calc's housing.
There are slight size variations within each case series,
but generally the Spice cases are smaller because the Spices are smaller than an HP-41;-)

For many years, I kept a new HP 200LX, which I picked up in Corvallis,
in an HP zipper case for the HP-67, which was fake-fur padded on the inside.
This is exactly how a back-then worthwhile 200LX had to be stored in my opinion:-)

-- Ray
08-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Call me a heretic but I have found the TI (58-59?) padded cases to be really nice. Yes, no card reader room but they are abundant and usually pretty inexpensive. They have a few variations but there are some well padded and roomy ones.

-B

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)