Finally picked up an HP Prime...
01-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Finally picked up an HP Prime...
I've only been debating about the purchase since before the G2. It's my first new-in-the-box HP since my HP-48SX twenty-five years ago or so.

I've been playing with the emulator, so I had a pretty good sense of what I was getting into.

I admit that I'm not a fan of the "applications" model to how they do things, but I understand why it's organized that way given how people interact with computer-y things these days.

Oddly, the thing I realized I missed most when I opened the package yesterday was having a printed manual. I worked through my dad's HP-65 manual as a kid, then his HP-41CV manual, then my HP-15C, HP-28S, and HP-48SX manuals as I got each of them. I've been a little more lax about the HP-71 I picked up on TAS; I don't know it nearly as well. It seems kind of goofy to hold a nice calculator next to a computer screen showing a PDF of how to use it; I suppose I could go and print the whole thing, but that seems absurd too.

I suspect I'm going to get a lot of use out of the statistics features, though, if nothing else. And man, has the CAS evolved since the HP-48. I'm not that convinced about programming; the example programs kind of make my brain hurt; I was very invested in both RPL and keystroke programming on the HP-41 and my dad's 42 (which now sits on my desk at work).

Anyway, it'll keep me busy until the DM41X I ordered shows up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2020, 10:36 PM
RE: Finally picked up an HP Prime...
I wish HP gave the option for a printed manual. The 48SX 2 part spiral bound manual was awesome!

I guess if a printed manual was available as a foundation, it would have to be supplemented with the option to print material relating to software updates!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)