(HP-65) the Mathematics of Gambling
01-16-2020, 12:57 PM
(HP-65) the Mathematics of Gambling
An extract from the Mathematics of Gambling, Gambling Times, April 1980, pgs. 92-94

Counting With a Computer
  If you have a hard time counting past ten with your shoes on, don't despair- help is on the way. I've designed a program for the HP-65 hand·held computer that will count cards, compute ratios, and adjust the size of bets using Braun's HI-OPT I system.
  That system assigns the following point values to cards as they are used … if you take the complete point count Strategy tables and divide all index values by 2, the results are a satisfactory approximation to the HI-OPT I strategy tables.

To use: enter card, press RTN, R/S. As cards appear, press key A if you see low cards 3, 4, 5, 6 … Press key B when you see middle cards 2, 7, 8, 9 … Press key C for high cards (ten-values) … Press key D for aces that you see … The current number of unseen cards N is … is revised automatically whenever keys A, B, C or D are pressed.
  After each card is counted, the display shows the true count C used for strategy decisions. You can also use C for betting decisions, but it's much better to use B, the true count adjusted to consider the ace count.

Programming the HI-OPT I
fully annotated program listing

BEST!
SlideRule
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2020, 02:47 PM
RE: (HP-65) the Mathematics of Gambling
Ha, card counting with an HP 65, that's great. I'd love to see the reactions if I sat down at a blackjack table, pulled out my 65, and fed in a program card.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)