DM41X
01-12-2020, 03:42 PM
RE: DM41X
(01-12-2020 01:45 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(01-12-2020 06:46 AM)NetMage Wrote:  A bit disappointed the blue shift key color is so far off where the yellow seems spot on.

Far off from what? The HP-41 had no blue shift key. There have been many other HP calculators with blue shift keys, but they did not all use the same blue color. Do you prefer one in particular?

Probably far off from the shade used for the blue characters on the keyboard. The key should match the characters.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2020, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2020 05:34 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(01-12-2020 03:42 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(01-12-2020 01:45 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Far off from what? The HP-41 had no blue shift key. There have been many other HP calculators with blue shift keys, but they did not all use the same blue color. Do you prefer one in particular?

Probably far off from the shade used for the blue characters on the keyboard. The key should match the characters.

Then the yellow key looks equally off shade.
Let's remember these are betas and lately they had to redo the molds. I don't know if this is the latest iteration of the keyboard, but probably it won't be the last one, either.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2020, 01:36 PM
It looks to me like the yellow and blue keys were added in some photo editing software. They have perfect right angles, unlike all the other keys, and there are no yellow tabs visible underneath like on the DM42.

They probably haven't molded the blue and yellow keys yet.
01-13-2020, 02:15 PM
No, that's a real untouched photo. The [shift] (yellow) and [Alpha] (blue) keys are painted with the respective colors to match the shifted function labels and alpha characters.

These keys will not be separate colored keys (as in the 42S) because separate keys lead to manufacturing, assembly and reliability issues, and instead are part of the entire keyboard matrix, just like the other keys. IMHO, this is a tad less "pure" but overall more reliable and provides consistent key feel and action.

--Bob Prosperi
01-13-2020, 03:11 PM
(01-13-2020 02:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  No, that's a real untouched photo. The [shift] (yellow) and [Alpha] (blue) keys are painted with the respective colors to match the shifted function labels and alpha characters.

These keys will not be separate colored keys (as in the 42S) because separate keys lead to manufacturing, assembly and reliability issues, and instead are part of the entire keyboard matrix, just like the other keys. IMHO, this is a tad less "pure" but overall more reliable and provides consistent key feel and action.

I hope that paint is durable! Two main things ruin a device's looks for me: 1. Paint or lettering that chips or rubs off 2. Crevices that attract dirt and are too small to clean properly.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-13-2020, 03:58 PM
(01-13-2020 03:11 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I hope that paint is durable! Two main things ruin a device's looks for me: 1. Paint or lettering that chips or rubs off 2. Crevices that attract dirt and are too small to clean properly.

Me too, but I think some wear on these keys is eventually inevitable, as they are probably the most-used keys on the keyboard. This also depends on the acidity of the oils on users' fingers, some are far worse than others; this was true of the 49g and other machines in the past, where there was widely varying keytop label wear.

I expect there will be tips coming in from users to do things like cover these keys with clear nail polish, etc. to preserve them, but such ideas are risky and could too easily drip inside and affect the domes, etc. We'll just have to wait and see how they hold up.

--Bob Prosperi
01-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Well, I can say there's some very definite wear on the "EXIT" and down arrow paint on my DM42 keyboard.
01-13-2020, 04:21 PM
It's done with a technology similar to that of the 'f' and 'g' keys on the DM1xL/DM41L family of machines and, to be honest, I've seen no wear on mine yet. One of my DM41L units has taken a hell of a beating over time and the 'f' key is still as new.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
01-13-2020, 04:27 PM
(01-13-2020 03:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Me too, but I think some wear on these keys is eventually inevitable, as they are probably the most-used keys on the keyboard. This also depends on the acidity of the oils on users' fingers, some are far worse than others; this was true of the 49g and other machines in the past, where there was widely varying keytop label wear.

I expect there will be tips coming in from users to do things like cover these keys with clear nail polish, etc. to preserve them, but such ideas are risky and could too easily drip inside and affect the domes, etc. We'll just have to wait and see how they hold up.

That's why I miss the double shot injection molded keys HP and TI used to use. Each key had the legend in a different color plastic from the key itself. The legend went all the way through the key and could never wear off. I guess we'll never see those again. Sad

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-13-2020, 05:03 PM
I have a couple of Unicomp keyboards where the key legends are printed on using sublimation printing. Despite more than a decade of daily use, none of the legends have faded in the slightest. It's not injection molding, but it seems to be as durable as they claim.

One downside of the technology is that it only works with dark-on-light legends. Which works great with a keyboard like this, but not with the black keys used on the DM42.
01-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Would also be nice to update the DM42...It has been a very long time since the last firmware update for the DM42
01-14-2020, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 12:40 AM by nlj.)
It's exciting that progress is being made on this calculator.

(01-11-2020 12:51 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Michael sent me a photo of a beta unit this morning:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8006]

Maybe it's just my astigmatism, but it seems to me that the labels are unnecessarily hard to read because the letters are squished too tightly together. Look at "SIZE" for example. The labels on the original 41s are easier to read in part because the letters have a bit of breathing room. There seems to be plenty of room on the DM41X to allow a little bit more inter-character space.

While on the topic of spacing, I wonder why they changed the labels for "CL Σ", "CL x/A", and "LAST x" to "CLΣ", "CLx/A", and "LASTx". They are easier to read in the original form (with the gap), and again there would seem to be room enough. [The same goes for "x=y ?", "x≤y ?", "x>y ?", and "x=0 ?".]

Getting ridiculously nit-picky now, it feels a bit unsatisfactory that "SPACE" is printed below its key whereas every other blue label is printed to the right of its key. The reason for that seems clear: there isn't space for "SPACE". But perhaps the symbol ␣ could be used? Or would that be too inauthentic? Or too obscure?
01-14-2020, 03:14 AM
(01-13-2020 05:03 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I have a couple of Unicomp keyboards where the key legends are printed on using sublimation printing. Despite more than a decade of daily use, none of the legends have faded in the slightest. It's not injection molding, but it seems to be as durable as they claim.

One downside of the technology is that it only works with dark-on-light legends. Which works great with a keyboard like this, but not with the black keys used on the DM42.

I have a few Unicomp keyboards myself. They certainly ARE tough! My kids couldn't kill 'em when they were little.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-14-2020, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 03:21 AM by toml_12953.)
(01-14-2020 12:38 AM)nlj Wrote:  It's exciting that progress is being made on this calculator.

The reason for that seems clear: there isn't space for "SPACE". But perhaps the symbol ␣ could be used? Or would that be too inauthentic? Or too obscure?

It's a sad state of affairs when there's no space for SPACE. I suppose ˽ would work even better. The original had the letters printed right on the bottom face of each key so already this keyboard isn't very authentic that way.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-14-2020, 03:24 AM
Maybe there's still enough room to print 空白 on the right side of the key. Wink
01-22-2020, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 12:59 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
The Beta Programme for the new SwissMicros DM41X calculator is now open! => Discussion Thread & Order Form

I just ordered mine. Smile
01-22-2020, 03:28 AM
(01-22-2020 12:58 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  The Beta Programme for the new SwissMicros DM41X calculator is now open! => Discussion Thread & Order Form

I just ordered mine. Smile

Thank you, Sylvain, I did the same.
01-22-2020, 03:42 AM
(01-22-2020 03:28 AM)brierand Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 12:58 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I just ordered mine. Smile
Thank you, Sylvain, I did the same.
Thanks to Robert Prosperi, one of the alpha testers, he's the one that warned me that the beta was now available.
01-22-2020, 04:37 AM
(01-22-2020 03:42 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(01-22-2020 03:28 AM)brierand Wrote:  Thank you, Sylvain, I did the same.
Thanks to Robert Prosperi, one of the alpha testers, he's the one that warned me that the beta was now available.
Thanks Robert!
01-22-2020, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the tip! Ordered mine. Can't wait!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)