Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
01-08-2020, 03:02 PM
RE: Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
(01-08-2020 02:50 PM)jdavidboyd Wrote:  And does any of this get used anymore? Are you just hoarding, or creating a calculator museum? :-)
This specific bookshelf is part of the collection series and calculators/peripherals are used/tested several times per year.

There are other shelves that are part of the day-to-day/frequent usage like this one:
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_6.jpg]
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_7.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2020, 03:27 PM
(01-08-2020 03:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(01-08-2020 02:50 PM)jdavidboyd Wrote:  And does any of this get used anymore? Are you just hoarding, or creating a calculator museum? :-)
This specific bookshelf is part of the collection series and calculators/peripherals are used/tested several times per year.

There are other shelves that are part of the day-to-day/frequent usage like this one:

You use all those every day? How do you have time to post on the forum? Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-08-2020, 03:33 PM
(01-08-2020 03:27 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(01-08-2020 03:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  This specific bookshelf is part of the collection series and calculators/peripherals are used/tested several times per year.
You use all those every day? How do you have time to post on the forum? Big Grin
It is called sleep deprivation. Big Grin LOL
01-08-2020, 04:55 PM
(01-08-2020 03:33 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(01-08-2020 03:27 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  You use all those every day? How do you have time to post on the forum? Big Grin
It is called sleep deprivation. Big Grin LOL
Uh, what is this "sleep" of which you speak?
01-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Hello Dave!

You are not alone!

My wife took me to a doctor and the diagnostic was C.A.S. - Calculator Acquisition Syndrome!

She then blocked my credit card, but I cheeted, using a friends' card!

Happy new year and more calculators acquisitions!

Cheers
01-08-2020, 06:58 PM
(01-08-2020 03:25 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Hi Dave!

I still have your TI-55 that I won as a door prize you donated at HHC 2018 in San Jose. Please send me your address. Smile
P.S. It has a friend.
Craig, I recently acquired another TI-55. Same story: battery back is shot but some quick rewiring and it's working with a 9V. I may donate that one to the prize table this year also.

Cheers!
Dave
01-08-2020, 07:02 PM
We're going to have to stage an intervention for Sylvain at HHC-2020 Smile Smile
01-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Hello Dave. I'm Eddie and I'm also a Calcoholic. Been one since 6th grade in 1990. There is no cure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2020, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 04:19 PM by BruceH.)
(01-08-2020 12:16 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Warning: Unlike some "Twelve-Step Programs" out there in the Real World, the ones found here at MoHPC actually WORK. But, as they say, they only work if you work them. That's usually done by pressing the R/S key.

I joined Calcoholics Anonymous after becoming obsessed over optimising all my programs. They've put me on a 12-step recovery program but I'm sure I can get it down to 10.

:-)

[Disclaimer: I think I probably heard that from Joe originally. :-) ]
01-13-2020, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 08:21 PM by rprosperi.)
Ba-dump, bump.... Very nice! (to whomever came up with this originally!)

--Bob Prosperi
01-13-2020, 09:42 PM
(01-08-2020 03:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  

[Image: HP_CALC_2019_6.jpg]
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_7.jpg]

Heyhey, rememberes me a bit to my one shelfs Wink But you know that.
01-13-2020, 11:44 PM
(01-13-2020 09:42 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Heyhey, rememberes me a bit to my one shelfs Wink But you know that.
Yes I know that and was tremendously impressed! Smile
01-14-2020, 04:50 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who has shared a photo - I've been able to show my wife and prove that I'm not really a collector.
01-14-2020, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 06:16 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(01-14-2020 04:50 PM)BruceH Wrote:  I'd like to thank everyone who has shared a photo - I've been able to show my wife and prove that I'm not really a collector.

I am running out of uniform shirts and really should do some ironing... But the ironing board is occupied by the calculators from last year or so which still wait to be photographed and catalogued. Note that there is another row of calculators behind the ones you can see on this picture. Maybe I should consider to look for professional help ;-)

Regards
Max

NB: For some reaon my wife stopped complaing about this kind of thing many years ago.

[Image: IMG_0377_1024px.jpg]
01-14-2020, 06:36 PM
It's an interesting behavior.
Why we need so many things (calculators and accessories, manuals, etc)?

Talking for myself: I have two childrens (12 and 14 year old)
I have: two 15C; two 42s; one 41CX
Why? I hope they will study some engeneering course and will need good calculators. Will start with 15C and them go to 42S.
The CX I use it in my engeneering course, nowadays.

Recently I acquired one 41CV and fixed it. May be they will pass through it from 15C to 42S. But was really with intention to fix an sell it and make some money.
Also got one HP-67, as it has a card reader inside and I was always curious about it. It is beating me, but I hope I will win this fight.

Of course I don't have so much money to spend with calculators and accessories, or I could be in the same way: mountains of calculators and related itens.
I really like to see other people to get access to working old calculators and give them the chance to know this part of history. I feel very well when I can do this.

I'm not criticizing no one, as Sylvain has already helped me when I need some special code and he used part of his big collection to get it. But I really feel that I must watch my hobby very seriously contantly.

Cheers,
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
01-14-2020, 08:11 PM
Oh, *MY* Big Grin I'm jealous! Big Grin

My collection is puny. I have 3 HP48GXs, each one with RAM cards for a total of 6 RAM cards. I have some HP48GX ROM cards. I have maybe a dozen manuals and other documentation. I also have two HP42Ss, an HP32SII, maybe 3 HP12Cs, an HP200LX, some other HP devices and other non-HP calculators, PDAs, organizers and such Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
01-14-2020, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty well past the point of no return: 48GX, a couple 48Gs, two 48SXes, 49g, 50g, 65, 80, 25, 10B, 14B, 17BII, 20S x2, 21S, 27S, 32S x2, 32SII, 42S, 19BII, 28C, 10BII, 10BII+, 35S, 30b/WP34S, 9G (for some reason), 11C, 12C x2, 15C, 15C LE, 95LX, 100LX, 200LX, a couple 82240 printers, 41CV with Math/Stat, Advantage, and X Functions... Also a mountain of Casio and TI stuff, and a DM16L, DM41L, and DM42.

I have a 38E coming in the mail tomorrow, more mag cards shortly after, and I just ordered a 41CX. I blame you guys.
01-14-2020, 09:34 PM
(01-14-2020 08:50 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I'm pretty well past the point of no return: 48GX, a couple 48Gs, two 48SXes, 49g, 50g, 65, 80, 25, 10B, 14B, 17BII, 20S x2, 21S, 27S, 32S x2, 32SII, 42S, 19BII, 28C, 10BII, 10BII+, 35S, 30b/WP34S, 9G (for some reason), 11C, 12C x2, 15C, 15C LE, 95LX, 100LX, 200LX, a couple 82240 printers, 41CV with Math/Stat, Advantage, and X Functions... Also a mountain of Casio and TI stuff, and a DM16L, DM41L, and DM42.

I have a 38E coming in the mail tomorrow, more mag cards shortly after, and I just ordered a 41CX. I blame you guys.

Huuuu!!! Well, I don't know if rest to you some money after so many buyings, but at least you have an excellent memory!

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
01-15-2020, 01:18 AM
I will try to answer some of the comment and/or question that have been raised in this thread.

I absolutely do not need any of my calculators to live, actually, between end of 1989 (when I lost my first HP HHC collection) and October 2011 (when I started my second HP HHC collection), I had only two calculators in my possession, an HP-16C and a HP-48SX.

It is only by pure luck (not sure my wife will say the same) that a search on eBay returned a list of items which included an HP-41CV (I think) which intrigued me enough to make another search on HP calculators on which the list of available items returned astounded me.
I then bought a HP-41CV at an outrageous price (I was a eBay newbie with no background on HP HHC prices at the time), then bought a card reader, some magnetic cards, then a thermal printer (82143A) and I thought it was enough.
Soon afterward, I long for more items, a bar code reader, an HP-IL module, a IL cassette drive, a IL thermal printer, an RS-232 interface to communicate with my computers, the X-Functions module, the extended I/O module, the HP-IL Development module and I thought it was enough for awhile.
Soon afterward, ... anyway you got the idea.

It is only after a year or so, that my collector compulsion took me over, I then told myself it is ok to buy the missing HP-41 modules, then the missing solution books, then the missing something HP-41 items.
When I got most of the HP-41 items available, I then started to buy the Voyager series, then the Classic series and so on until I had everything (well almost) that HP and most third party had produced (calculators, peripherals, manuals, books, accessories, pamphlets, etc) on hand-held calculators/computers since 1972.

The interesting thing is that it was never planned, it just happen as my need expanded and nostalgia took hold of me.
Even though my collection is comprehensive, I am a first and foremost a user, I use my stuff daily, for sure not all at the same time but I take care to make a rotation and use at least once a year every HHC that I have in my collection/inventory.
I have also read all the books/manuals that I have, some more than ten times.

I have worked 50h+ (up to 100h) a week for most of my adult life and this hobby is a way for my mind to escape the work related stuff.
This hobby is just the last of a series of hobbies that I have done before, like motorcycling racing, mountain climbing, cavern discovery, etc. ... just less life threatening, although I still do some motorcycling racing every year and having a blast each time. Wink

Sylvain
01-15-2020, 02:51 AM
(01-15-2020 01:18 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  ...
I then bought a ... and a .... and a .... and also an ..... and I thought it was enough.

Been there, thought that... but then I had another thought, and...

(01-15-2020 01:18 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Even though my collection is comprehensive, I am a first and foremost a user, I use my stuff daily, for sure not all at the same time but I take care to make a rotation and use at least once a year every HHC that I have in my collection/inventory.

I call BS! Did you really use your HP OfficeCalc 100, or your HP-6S Solar? Big Grin

Hmmm... idea for a possibly interesting thread - "Which HP Calc that you own have you never used?"

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)