A way to improve the physical screen?
12-07-2019, 01:43 PM
RE: A way to improve the physical screen?
When I think about, it just seems aburd to me: even cheap (and cheaper) mobile phones these days have screens, even touch screens, superior to HP Prime's. Yes, who on earth allowed it to go like this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2019, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 07:47 PM by HP User.)
Joe, I think your suggestions are very good. I think I should just get used to using both color schemes maybe, because I really want to use it as it lies on a table. And maybe I should just forget about the dark scheme all the way.

Offtopic:
I wish HP would make a new calculator taking all the good from their past calculators and removing the bad, greatly improving usability, handiness, and that it would take less button-pressing and less screen-touching to get at results. If they'd give it a modernized dotmatrix high-res screen with a nice and perfectly designed lighting system to light both the screen and button area at will, that would be a killer.
12-07-2019, 11:50 PM
I did some light disassembly of my G2 because I was frustrated I couldn't find any pictures or info on the display on any thread or website. I found out why no one has uploaded a picture of it, it's glued to the shell of the calculator! I really didn't want to accidentally damage the calculator so I didn't pry at the glue very hard.

HP team, could we please have some proper teardown information or pictures? It would really help me understand what I'm getting into! Smile

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2019, 09:52 AM
(12-07-2019 11:50 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  it's glued to the shell of the calculator!

What's glued? The pcb? Or the screen? You could use heat to soften the glue and post pics

My website: erwin.ried.cl
12-08-2019, 03:49 PM
(12-08-2019 09:52 AM)eried Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 11:50 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  it's glued to the shell of the calculator!

What's glued? The pcb? Or the screen? You could use heat to soften the glue and post pics
I'm not completely sure, I think both are glued, the PCB to the screen and the screen to the shell. I still need my calculator for school, and there's no way I can afford to buy another if I break it, so I don't want to start messing with the components. Perhaps I could ask Critor if he's willing to disassemble one of his Primes?

Cemetech | YouTube
12-12-2019, 04:32 AM
The screen is adhered to the chassis on the perimeter with some sort of double-sided adhesive.

The screen is also adhered on the back to a sort of metal plate, on the other side of which is the PCB. Removing the PCB/Screen combo from the chassis takes some doing, but is possible if you're careful. Removing the screen from the PCB takes some more doing, and might be possible, even if you are careful.

The G2 Prime I bought had an infuriating flashing pixel that was distracting so I tried swapping in the screen from my glitching G1 (which had a perfectly fine screen). The swap was successful but very difficult and nerve-wracking. A warranty claim might've been a better way to go, in retrospect. The G2's screen did not survive the separation from the metal plate, but that was the one with the bad pixel anyway.

While I don't recommend swapping screens between G1 and G2, it's doable. Seek other options if possible.
12-12-2019, 08:34 AM
(12-12-2019 04:32 AM)Benjer Wrote:  The screen is adhered to the chassis on the perimeter with some sort of double-sided adhesive.

The screen is also adhered on the back to a sort of metal plate, on the other side of which is the PCB. Removing the PCB/Screen combo from the chassis takes some doing, but is possible if you're careful. Removing the screen from the PCB takes some more doing, and might be possible, even if you are careful.

The G2 Prime I bought had an infuriating flashing pixel that was distracting so I tried swapping in the screen from my glitching G1 (which had a perfectly fine screen). The swap was successful but very difficult and nerve-wracking. A warranty claim might've been a better way to go, in retrospect. The G2's screen did not survive the separation from the metal plate, but that was the one with the bad pixel anyway.

While I don't recommend swapping screens between G1 and G2, it's doable. Seek other options if possible.

No footage of that surgery :/ ?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
12-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the information Benjer! That clears up one question I had, if the displays were compatible with each other. Would you happen to know the manufacturer and the model of the display?
Like eried said, pictures would be welcome! Big Grin

Cemetech | YouTube
12-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any photos, nor did I catch the model number or make of the display. Sorry.
12-14-2019, 12:27 AM
A new HP Prime +
is needed with twice the screen resolution
and enough RAM for full Xcas
Remember to add RPL operating on lists as stacks.
[/u]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)