i Can't post anything
12-07-2019, 01:51 PM
i Can't post anything
this is a post test
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: i Can't post anything
Newly registered users are put on a moderated status so their posts require approval before they show up.

This is the only way to stop the 5-10 spammers each week who are ** obvious ** spammers from clogging up the forum.

A side effect of this is that new users sometimes post and don't see the results immediately (moderators ** do ** have to sleep sometimes) and ask where their post is... which is also on moderated status.

Sorry about that, but the reduction in spam us worth it.
Gene
12-09-2019, 07:53 PM
(12-07-2019 04:07 PM)Gene Wrote:  Newly registered users are put on a moderated status so their posts require approval before they show up.

This is the only way to stop the 5-10 spammers each week who are ** obvious ** spammers from clogging up the forum.

A side effect of this is that new users sometimes post and don't see the results immediately (moderators ** do ** have to sleep sometimes) and ask where their post is... which is also on moderated status.

Gene

When I was "new" it took more than 48 hours for each of the 3 first posts I made to emerge as "validated". Which then led me do send a PM to one of you in the moderator team to completely delete my account. Since it then led to my posts being "released", I stayed.
I do understand that you need to sleep, and that you are in a completely different time zone; but come on - 48 hours + ?
What I would like to express here, is that by spending looong hours before validating new members and posters, you discourage new members more than deflecting spam here.. ??

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-10-2019, 05:41 PM
(12-09-2019 07:53 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 04:07 PM)Gene Wrote:  Newly registered users are put on a moderated status so their posts require approval before they show up.

Gene

When I was "new" it took more than 48 hours for each of the 3 first posts I made to emerge as "validated". Which then led me do send a PM to one of you in the moderator team to completely delete my account. Since it then led to my posts being "released", I stayed.
I do understand that you need to sleep, and that you are in a completely different time zone; but come on - 48 hours + ?
What I would like to express here, is that by spending looong hours before validating new members and posters, you discourage new members more than deflecting spam here.. ??

If you saw the typical amount of spam that a completely unmodified forum with unverified users gets, you might think differently.

Maybe 48+ hours is too long, but the moderators have lives too.

— Ian Abbott
12-10-2019, 06:40 PM
And it probably was that the 3 of us were busy. There was a time I traveled to South Africa this past summer and was out of touch for a week. Things like that happen.

Dave is a moderator (of course) and so is Katie.

Unless we want this forum to become filled with advertisements for little blue pills or ways to get rich quick, then this is a good alternative.

We do what we can do. Over time, the postings become unmoderated. Usually I sign on once or twice a day, sometimes more. Life happens.

If something is obviously spam, we block the email forever and move on.
12-10-2019, 09:39 PM
(12-07-2019 04:07 PM)Gene Wrote:  This is the only way to stop the 5-10 spammers each week who are ** obvious ** spammers from clogging up the forum.

5-10 a week? I have to deal with about 20 a day on the SwissMicros forum!

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
12-11-2019, 03:57 AM
We catch most of them with the security questions. I had to change them all recently because the last set had become known (built into spam script databases I presume) and they were blasting in.

As for people saying "delete my account" when something hasn't gone the way they prefer, yeah we get that a lot. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2019, 03:33 PM
(12-10-2019 09:39 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 04:07 PM)Gene Wrote:  This is the only way to stop the 5-10 spammers each week who are ** obvious ** spammers from clogging up the forum.

5-10 a week? I have to deal with about 20 a day on the SwissMicros forum!
Hmm, that's a lot..
I see on one of the forums in Norway (maybe the .no makes the forum more "anonymous" and thus escapes most of the spams) that it goes in sort of waves. Sometimes it is 60 a day, and then it is weeks between single spam entries.
(12-11-2019 03:57 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  We catch most of them with the security questions. I had to change them all recently because the last set had become known (built into spam script databases I presume) and they were blasting in.

As for people saying "delete my account" when something hasn't gone the way they prefer, yeah we get that a lot. Wink
(My empasis)
Yes, as it is no secret, I was one. And to be honest, I might not have done that today. I was just frustrated that it took so long then.
This forum has some 3.000 more members than the motorcycle-forum in Norway, but there are also 3 times the posts there than here.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
12-11-2019, 06:26 PM
(12-11-2019 03:33 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  This forum has some 3.000 more members than the motorcycle-forum in Norway, but there are also 3 times the posts there than here.

Quality is more important, to me, than quantity.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)