Anyone familiar with this mag card holder?
12-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Anyone familiar with this mag card holder?
Here's an interesting recent find from an HP41 manual collection I picked up on TAS. Tucked in amongst the QRC's and overlays were two of these HP-65 Pocket Instruction Cards. Here are a couple of pictures, back and front sides, with and without magnetic cards.

I've never seen a photo or reference to one of these before, so it was a pleasant surprise to find them. They appear to be a three layer construction, cardstock printed front and back with a thinner spacer layer in between to provide room for inserting a magnetic card. It's likely that adhesive was applied to both sides of the spacer before affixing the outer layers. Note the notch in the card space opening to ease entry of the mag card.

I wish I had more of these because they look like a handy way to keep frequently used cards around and to document your own program cards. Anyone know how common these were "back in the day" when the 65/67/41 card readers were common? I wouldn't mind duplicating a shoebox full of these!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2019, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 09:31 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Anyone familiar with this mag card holder?
Some (10? 20?) of these were included with each new HP-65, at least in the early days of production; one of HP's early catalogs shows them (I'll look for it). I've read that at some point they were no longer included, but coincidentally enough they were still available for purchase as an accessory.

In a more than weird coincidence, I was holding one of these accessory packs about 5 minutes before coming to the Forum just now. The shrink-wrapped package likely came with 20 cards (can't tell for certain as the original seal is broken and it seems like 2 cards are missing) with a small note inserted (in 3+ languages) in front.

Quote:9320-0613

HP-65
Pocket Instruction Card

A Pocket Instruction Card provides two slots for program cards. You can write program user instructions in the space on each side of the card. The cards may be carried in your pocket or, after punching holes in the tops of the cards, they may be carried in a small binder. Then can also be stored easily in a small file box.

They do show up on eBay from time to time, at widely (!) varying prices, from $1/ea to $200 for a full, sealed pack.

--Bob Prosperi
12-05-2019, 11:12 PM
(12-05-2019 09:30 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  In a more than weird coincidence, I was holding one of these accessory packs about 5 minutes before coming to the Forum just now.

Speak of the devil times two, Don S. pointed out a sealed pack of 20 available on TAS for under $1 per card. On their way soon!

Among the bundle of HP41 manuals was an Owner's Handbook and Programming Guide. I already have one, but what was taped into the back page caught my eye. Here, in case you've forgotten, are those all-important support numbers Smile

~Mark

12-09-2019, 11:49 AM
(12-05-2019 08:59 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I've never seen a photo or reference to one of these before

Big Grin Behind the Iron Curtain, here Hungary I have a brand new foiled set and some used of these cards - so there is really strange if you never heard about it in San Jose, CA, USA Wink

Csaba
12-09-2019, 02:13 PM
(12-05-2019 11:12 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Speak of the devil times two, Don S. pointed out a sealed pack of 20 available on TAS for under $1 per card. On their way soon!

Great deal Mark! Yesterday, I saw a new listing of a sealed pkg of these for well over $100, so prices are really all over the place. Maybe a seller was reading this thread... lol

--Bob Prosperi
12-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I could start a separate thread on the psychology of eBay sellers and it would be months before the thread finally petered out!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)