Questions on HP Prime and its features
11-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Questions on HP Prime and its features
I've had the 49g+ for years and love it, but it's starting to fade. Old age. I'm thinking of the Prime. Two features that I must have, and that were on the 49g+, are the Equation Library (which comes with built-in engineering equations and drawings) and Units (that allows you to do unit conversions). Does the Prime come with these? It's not clear from a scan of the User's Manual.

Also, unless I'm missing something, when I'm in HP's website and search for the Prime, it's not available. That also goes for hpshopping.com. It shows several other calculators, but not the Prime (or any other graphing calculators). It seems to be available on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere, but not from HP. How can that be?

Thanks in advance for any info......
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Questions on HP Prime and its features
The Prime is a huge departure from the 49g+. In some areas the Prime is so far ahead of the 49g+ (sheer speed, memory capacity...) but in others, the HP 49/50 family is way ahead of the Prime (the solver and units come straight to mind).

If you are set in your ways with RPN and RPL and make extensive use of the equation library then I would advise you to look for another 49g+ or a 50g second hand on the well-known auction site. I have bought several such units that way and they've all even been cheaper than a new Prime.

If, however, you're not worried about working in a completely different manner then by all means try out the HP Prime. Just bear in mind that the Prime is NOT an RPL machine, it is programmed in a language called HP-PPL, which is similar to Pascal. There is an RPN mode for the Prime but it is really something bolted on as an after-thought and is not really integrated into the system. There is a CAS on the Prime but, unlike the 49/50 family, it is not so well integrated into the working environment. There's a "Home" mode and a "CAS" mode and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Prime is a great machine, especially the latest incarnation of it (G2), but it really is completely different from the 48/49/50 families of calculators. I wouldn't want you to buy one thinking you were going to get an updated, super-fast RPL monster.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
11-29-2019, 05:48 PM
There are programs available here that more or less re-create the equation library and units systems of the 48 series:

SolveSys

Units48

I have not tried them myself but they seem to be well regarded.
11-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I now know I belong in the 48/49/50 family, given my usage. I've found some used ones on the usual sites. I'm shocked at the prices for those listed as new, if they're even truly new. (Amazon has been cited recently for deceptive descriptions.) There's a 49g+ for $230 and a 50g for $500. Neither actually says "new," but that's implied, because the others listed near them are described as used. Assuming that they're actually new, is this because they're not made anymore and sellers want to see what the market will bear?
11-29-2019, 07:37 PM
(11-29-2019 02:01 PM)frontier Wrote:  I've had the 49g+ for years and love it, but it's starting to fade. Old age. I'm thinking of the Prime. Two features that I must have, and that were on the 49g+, are the Equation Library (which comes with built-in engineering equations and drawings) and Units (that allows you to do unit conversions). Does the Prime come with these? It's not clear from a scan of the User's Manual.

I am an old user of the 48/50 series and Tried to switch to Prime but found impossible as for my job I rely upon the units handling of the 48/50.
Another user suggested an app for Prime which allow a similar use of units.
I am not sure if it allows the use of units in equations and with the solver: this feature is the one which keeps me tied to my 50g.
11-30-2019, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2019 10:04 AM by ijabbott.)
(11-29-2019 06:15 PM)frontier Wrote:  Thanks for the replies. I now know I belong in the 48/49/50 family, given my usage. I've found some used ones on the usual sites. I'm shocked at the prices for those listed as new, if they're even truly new. (Amazon has been cited recently for deceptive descriptions.) There's a 49g+ for $230 and a 50g for $500. Neither actually says "new," but that's implied, because the others listed near them are described as used. Assuming that they're actually new, is this because they're not made anymore and sellers want to see what the market will bear?

One option is to use a good quality Android tablet (avoid the cheap and nasties), or a phone with a big screen, and run Emu48 on it. Of course, you don't get the physical feel of the keys (but no unregistered key-strokes either!), but you get a much faster calculator.

— Ian Abbott
11-30-2019, 10:18 AM
(11-30-2019 10:03 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  One option is to use a good quality Android tablet (avoid the cheap and nasties), or a phone with a big screen, and run Emu48 on it. Of course, you don't get the physical feel of the keys (but no unregistered key-strokes either!), but you get a much faster calculator.

Ugh... I don't know about others but the lack of tactile feedback from a physical keyboard is a bit of a deal-breaker for me. The quality of the keyboard action is one of the things that made HP in the first place. It is important.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
11-30-2019, 02:23 PM
(11-30-2019 10:18 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Ugh... I don't know about others but the lack of tactile feedback from a physical keyboard is a bit of a deal-breaker for me. The quality of the keyboard action is one of the things that made HP in the first place. It is important.
If it's that important to you, you could always connect an external keyboard to your device or get a blackberry! Wink

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2019, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Yes, it is important to me, and coincidentally enough, for that and other reasons, I'm a Blackberry junkie. I currently use the Key2 and think it's the best BB phone since they went Android.
12-05-2019, 04:25 PM
(11-30-2019 02:23 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  
(11-30-2019 10:18 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Ugh... I don't know about others but the lack of tactile feedback from a physical keyboard is a bit of a deal-breaker for me. The quality of the keyboard action is one of the things that made HP in the first place. It is important.
If it's that important to you, you could always connect an external keyboard to your device or get a blackberry! Wink

bLACKBERRY?!
aND THAT WOULD WORK (FOR NUMBERS AT LEAT)? hAVE ANYONE TRIED.
- stupid caps key

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)