Arduino IL Drive Sim read good write bad
04-27-2023, 07:04 AM
RE: Arduino IL Drive Sim read good write bad
(04-27-2023 06:51 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Connecting both the ESP and the USB on the same serial lines creates a electrical conflict on the Tx line (towards the PIL-Box IC) - the strongest wins.
I would recommend to insert a e.g. 10k resistor in the Tx line from the USB, so the ESP will take precedence softly, and if not present the USB will still operate.

Thanks for the info J-F!

I never thought of connecting both at the same time, but it might be worth adding some protection in case of!
If I find a good enclosure I would wire so that I had to remove the ESP to use USB, eg. with a switch to allow either.
The switch could enable ESP (and the battery) as well as disabling USB, or vice versa.

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2023, 07:18 AM
(04-27-2023 07:04 AM)ThomasF Wrote:  
(04-27-2023 06:51 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Connecting both the ESP and the USB on the same serial lines creates a electrical conflict on the Tx line (towards the PIL-Box IC) - the strongest wins.
I would recommend to insert a e.g. 10k resistor in the Tx line from the USB, so the ESP will take precedence softly, and if not present the USB will still operate.
I never thought of connecting both at the same time, but it might be worth adding some protection in case of!

A short clarification: the conflict will exist even if no USB cable is attached, since the USB module is powered from your ESP cable and so will attempt to drive the TX line at its idle level.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2023, 04:40 PM
(04-25-2023 05:16 PM)charger73 Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 11:39 AM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  I am planning to build the Arduino version in the coming weeks. Did anyone already try to bring more (virtual) devices in the loop? In my opinion this should be possible with serial Tx and serial Rx by connecting the serial to USB adapter with a host computer running one of the (py)ILPer versions.

Have fun!

Tobie

I am looking forward to have to have some fun with the Arduino IL project, but now struggling to get the sketch through the Arduino compiler. The source in the zipped file "ildrive32" in the earlier post has a remark not to use this version, and does not compile. I suspect an issue with the proper use of files handling. Just to be certain, can you confirm if that source is a correct working version?
For your information I am using an ESP8266 based controller.

Regards, Meindert
06-30-2023, 07:17 AM
(06-29-2023 04:40 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  
(04-25-2023 05:16 PM)charger73 Wrote:  Have fun!

Tobie

I am looking forward to have to have some fun with the Arduino IL project, but now struggling to get the sketch through the Arduino compiler. The source in the zipped file "ildrive32" in the earlier post has a remark not to use this version, and does not compile. I suspect an issue with the proper use of files handling. Just to be certain, can you confirm if that source is a correct working version?
For your information I am using an ESP8266 based controller.

Hello Meindert,

First of all, it's great that you enjoy the project.

The version ildrive32 should be the correct one (it's my latest version).
Simply remove the first line in the source code.

Sorry for my poor support, but I don't use the drive frequently anymore,
and I no longer maintain the software.

Best regards,
Tobie
06-30-2023, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the quick answer Tobie, I will figure it out and share my findings.

Regards, Meindert
09-27-2023, 02:04 AM
Hi All, I finally finished by version of this project. I used a Mega 2560 Pro board because it's more compact, and two microSD card readers, an IL connector recycled from a HP 2225B printer and an old project case I have had for years, but until now I had no use for it. I switch between the two sdcards with a manual slide switch, with the power off. The switch switches two lines, CS and MISO as the card readers don't tri-state MISO.

Cheers,
John
09-27-2023, 05:55 AM
Hello Johnboy,
Congratulations! The drive looks very good.
Well built and compact.
Best regards,
Tobie
09-28-2023, 09:44 AM
Great project !
And with 2SD cards of 1Tb capacity you can have up to 2Tb worth of HP41 programs in the box....
09-28-2023, 12:09 PM
(09-28-2023 09:44 AM)Chr Yoko Wrote:  Great project !
And with 2SD cards of 1Tb capacity you can have up to 2Tb worth of HP41 programs in the box....

I think that's ALL of them, ever, for the 41 which likely has had more programs written for it than any other calculator. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
09-28-2023, 10:40 PM
I used 1GB cards, but even with the total of 2GB that's the equivalent of 15,000 tapes !

Cheers,
John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)