Wireless Dongle Works Better
11-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Wireless Dongle Works Better
I notice that in the Beta software on G2, I can now turn off Prime when the wireless dongle is attached. Thanks, HP! Previously, the user had to unplug the dongle before turning off the Prime or else Shift-Off had no effect.

Transmission speed is still abysmal, though. It looks like a lot of redundancy in data transmission cuts the effective speed quite a bit.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2019, 11:11 AM
RE: Wireless Dongle Works Better
Hmm... no changes should have happened there. If you are connected to a network, no off is allowed. If you are not connected though, it will.

Are you comparing speed from before vs now? No changes should have been made.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-12-2019, 06:23 AM
RE: Wireless Dongle Works Better
Hello,

G2 is faster and more responsive internally, threading is much better... this might be part of it...

As far as speed, here is the geist of things there..

The USB interface limits us to 64Kb/s

The PC acts as the conductor there and will circle through the various devices. Each time it will:
Send a series of packets to a specific calculator (up to 900 bytes worth, which I call a Burst), then flip to receive and wait for an answer, which will be a burst from the calculator.
5 times a second, in between calcs, it will switch to broadcast mode and send an advertizing packet (advertizing the network) and wait for 8ms for an answer to see if a new calc is joining in...
Unfortunately, it takes time for the wireless chip to receive a packet, send it up to the USB module, the USB modules and driver to pick it up send it to the app and the app to process it (latencies), so switches take usually around 4 to 8ms...

This switching/waiting time is what kills the bandwidth. USB limits us to 64Kb/s, but all in all, the top I can get is around 20Kb/s with all the time lost in waiting...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)