Thread Closed 
Why are threads being locked for no reason?
11-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Why are threads being locked for no reason?
It's very disappointing to see threads unceremoniously locked, without even a reason given.

Why were "Plummeting insect numbers threaten collapse of nature" and (go figure) "Planck's Law...fails" locked?

Is this the new norm? If so then what's the point in having a "not remotely HP calculators" section of the forum?
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2019, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 02:19 AM by hth.)
RE: Why are threads being locked for no reason?
I understand why. They touched on climate crisis and climate models, which is all about politics and a sure way to start a flame war, better close in time.
11-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Hello!

(11-07-2019 02:18 AM)hth Wrote:  I understand why. They touched on climate crisis and climate models, which is all about politics and a sure way to start a flame war, better close in time.

No. It is about science. And this forum is about (mainly) scientific calculators. People who like to be engaged in flame wars can - and do - start them about everything. Would the logical consequence be to close threads about everything then?

Personally I am very disappointed about the closure of these threads.

Regards
Max
11-07-2019, 12:13 PM
I also failed to see why these threads got locked.
Not remotely HP calculator forum description say off-topic stuff that might be interesting ...

Why "Planck's Law ... failed ..." thread got locked, but "Is the SUN still shining" is safe ?

Why "Climate Strike" thread not only got locked, but got archived (to where ?)
see https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13719.html
11-07-2019, 05:17 PM
(11-07-2019 11:19 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(11-07-2019 02:18 AM)hth Wrote:  I understand why. They touched on climate crisis and climate models, which is all about politics and a sure way to start a flame war, better close in time.

No. It is about science. And this forum is about (mainly) scientific calculators. People who like to be engaged in flame wars can - and do - start them about everything. Would the logical consequence be to close threads about everything then?

Personally I am very disappointed about the closure of these threads.

Regards
Max

And there you illustrate the reason.

I say that it is about politics (and if I were to take a deeper look, how certain very rich people control the lives of the masses). You say it is about science. That you say I am wrong above does not change my opinion one bit. I think you are looking at the surface and I look down the depth. I think you fail to see the broader picture. You think something else and no matter what I say, you will not change your mind either.

Many forums have rules about not discussing religion and politics. To me, GPL is religion and the claim that human created a climate crisis is politics. So there you have it, we are not going to go anywhere discussing this. It will just escalate and in the end we will end up hating each other.

It was correct to close the threads. See, we cannot even agree about that! Smile
11-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Clearly, this thread too needs to be locked, before… Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
11-07-2019, 08:33 PM
(11-07-2019 07:49 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  Clearly, this thread too needs to be locked, before… Smile

NO IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE LOCKED!! Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-07-2019, 11:17 PM
I agree with hth.

But the ploblem is not the topic, the subject.

The problem is some forums members, that insult whoever dare to disagree with them. If everybody was a gentlemen, we can discuss everything in high level. I supose the majority here can do that, but unfortunately some uneducated people cannot discuss in high level.

That's why climate strike was shut down.

It is better not have some discussion than give a punitive vacation for these poor people.
And I can't understand why Walter was banned forever and it is pity tha Geir isene left for good.
11-08-2019, 07:02 AM
(11-07-2019 11:17 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  The problem is some forums members, that insult whoever dare to disagree with them. If everybody was a gentlemen, we can discuss everything in high level. I supose the majority here can do that, but unfortunately some uneducated people cannot discuss in high level.

Did this happen on « Planck’s law fails » thread?
11-08-2019, 07:12 AM
(11-07-2019 11:17 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  The problem is some forums members, that insult whoever dare to disagree with them.

Are you referring to your assertion that CO2 being essential for plant growth implies that it can't possibly have harmful effects? I'll disagree with that every day of the week and twice on Sundays, and I fail to see how anyone could do otherwise, even if they're not as blunt about it as I was.

Speaking of inappropriate posts, it seems to me that this thread belongs in Forum Issues and Administration.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2019, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 09:22 AM by Csaba Tizedes.)
If everybody became Gentlemen, there is no climate problem (and any other). JFYI, there are people over the world is not educated like the forum members here - but they are build your city, you see them, when you walk in the street. Never forget it, when you discuss anything about those people.

BTW: the CO2 is gasous and if the temperature is higher the solubility of the gases are lower. Maybe there is not the CO2 (or any other gas) causes the climate change, just our climate is change and the CO2 can not solve in the water?!? You have lots of calculator and you are educated as hell, maybe somebody do a rough estimation?!?

I made a short calculation, so if we kill all the whales, the level of oceans will be decrease approx by 0.001mm, so we must to catch the penguins and sea calfs also.

You know that, under the electric lines the corn and wheat grows higher than other parts of the field? No, no need Maxwell equations and electric field theory of biological structures - just go to the fileld at twilight and you can see the birds on the electric lines. And what you think, what those birds do? Yes, that birds are shitting.

The reality is simple, the real problem the human behaviour, the over-education, the people, who think a lot about himself. Always the people the problem.

Csaba
11-08-2019, 11:14 AM
(11-08-2019 08:49 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  The reality is simple, the real problem the human behaviour, the over-education, the people, who think a lot about himself. Always the people the problem.

Csaba

The Earth is in no danger whatsoever. Earth will continue on. A few thousand years after the last human dies, there will be little evidence that we were ever here. :O

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Of course. In defense of AGW denial, not only science and logic, but sanity itself are tossed overboard. Bringing out a lame straw man is just icing on the cake...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2019, 12:13 PM
(11-08-2019 07:12 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 11:17 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  The problem is some forums members, that insult whoever dare to disagree with them.

Are you referring to your assertion that CO2 being essential for plant growth implies that it can't possibly have harmful effects? I'll disagree with that every day of the week and twice on Sundays, and I fail to see how anyone could do otherwise, even if they're not as blunt about it as I was.

Speaking of inappropriate posts, it seems to me that this thread belongs in Forum Issues and Administration.

Yes, CO2 is essential for plants, vegetables and

trees grow. It is scientific. If you don't know or don't want to see, illustrate yourself.

But I will never offend wnyone because of this, as like doing that, I will be like you.

Cheers
11-08-2019, 04:13 PM
(11-07-2019 11:19 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  .......No. It is about science. And this forum is about (mainly) scientific calculators. People who like to be engaged in flame wars can - and do - start them about everything. Would the logical consequence be to close threads about everything then?........

There is some truth to this. I have seen a silly discussion on "what is the more dangerous predator: lions or crocodiles?" turn into people flinging personal insults. Big Grin
11-08-2019, 07:41 PM
(11-08-2019 04:13 PM)Trond Wrote:  
(11-07-2019 11:19 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  .......No. It is about science. And this forum is about (mainly) scientific calculators. People who like to be engaged in flame wars can - and do - start them about everything. Would the logical consequence be to close threads about everything then?........

There is some truth to this. I have seen a silly discussion on "what is the more dangerous predator: lions or crocodiles?" turn into people flinging personal insults. Big Grin
...And neither of them are correct, as the most dangerous predator is Homo Sapiens Wink

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
11-08-2019, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2019 10:43 PM by Dan.)
The fact is neither of the closed threads contain posts that warrant the sanctioning of a forum member, much less the closure of the entire thread.

"Plummeting insect numbers" even has a post from a moderator, who wrote:

"Thanks to all of you who make coming here to read and think a joy."

So what's going on?

(11-08-2019 07:12 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Speaking of inappropriate posts, it seems to me that this thread belongs in Forum Issues and Administration.

Yes my mistake, please move it.
11-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Moderator note: What none of you see are the complaints that come from all sides when people begin objecting to viewpoints expressed in these types of threads. Many people cannot express themselves without emotion or ad hominem arguments.

When that happens the objections/reported posts begin to jump and they all come to those of us who are moderators.

That gets very tiring quickly, especially when it is the same group posting and objecting with great regularity.

Just because you do not think a member should be sanctioned does not mean others are not reporting the posts.

So what to do?

One member has suggested to me that we consider no discussions at all here that are not HP or calculator related. Seems a bit extreme, but ** might ** solve the situation.

I would hope we collectively can discuss anything without resorting to ad hominem insults. It really does not seem all of us can.

So please remember that as a member here you only see part of what happens. Moderators are fallible so please excuse me (or us) when we fail.

We also grow weary and will sometimes close a discussion to reduce the noise. Again, a judgment call, but one we sometimes make.

Search for a post I created a year or more ago on forum behavior. If we could all abide by those types of suggestions, we would all be better off IMO.

Gene
11-09-2019, 12:46 AM
(11-08-2019 10:46 PM)Gene Wrote:  One member has suggested to me that we consider no discussions at all here that are not HP or calculator related. Seems a bit extreme, but ** might ** solve the situation.

doesn't seem extreme at all; there's lots of other space on the internet that seems designed for random noise.

(runs away and puts on hard hat)

thanks Gene Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
11-09-2019, 01:14 AM
There's also the Ignore List option. Reduces the clatter from certain repeat offenders Smile

(ducks & covers)

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)