HP-IL to Arduino bridge
04-06-2016, 05:34 AM
HP-IL to Arduino bridge
After my previous post on an HP-IL bridge to Bluetooth and an HP-IL Display, I have worked on the idea of bridging the HP-IL world to the Arduino world. This extends the HP-IL capabilities to new sensors or devices.
For example the following photo shows a use case similar to the ATC-0010 Relay Actuator:

The other example is using multiple analog gas sensors on a mikroe Arduino board:

The software is based on Jean-Francois Garnier, Christoph Giesselink and Tobie's work. I have just added a new lib for IOs.

This is how it works on the HP-71, suppose you want to work with arduino pin 2:
To turns ON output 2
> OUTPUT :1;"C"
To turns OFF output 2
> OUTPUT :1;"c"
Read input 2
> OUTPUT :1;"2"
> SPOLL (1)

Now suppose you want to turns ON output 7,8 and 9:
> OUTPUT :1;"HIJ"

Now let read an analog signal:
To read analog input A0:
> OUTPUT :1;"."
> SPOLL (1)
To read analog input A1:
> OUTPUT :1;":"
> SPOLL (1)

In the following you have complete list of the commands to used with the HP-IL_GPIO_Relay.ino code:

Pin 0 and 1 are reserved for the PIL-Box uart connection.

All sources are available, I can post them if someone is interested.

Patrick

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2016, 06:12 AM
RE: HP-IL to Arduino bridge
Hi Patrick

Very nice!!

You like to show this, during the next meeting in Allschwil? :-)

Best regards
Tobie
04-07-2016, 06:37 PM
(04-06-2016 05:34 AM)Trancheterriere Wrote:  All sources are available, I can post them if someone is interested.

Patrick

Please do Patrick; though I am personally not yet an Arduino guy, there will surely be interest in this, and it's easier to post it now while all is still fresh.

Thanks for sharing this. This is the first project that makes me want to explore Arduino projects more closely.

--Bob Prosperi
04-07-2016, 07:16 PM
That's great ! So it seems that you have designed a PIL-Box Arduino shield, is there a way to get one?
04-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Tobie, I would love to. But I need to check the WAF.

Bob, here is the code (Ok, It's C++ code from an hardware guy...):

.zip  HP-IL_GPIO_Shield.zip (Size: 14.27 KB / Downloads: 111)
You can even control an SPI interface by toggling the pins directly from the HP-71B.
Suppose your CLK in pin 2 and DATA in pin 3, sending 0x77 would be:
OUTPUT :1;"cdCcDCcDCcDCcdCcDCcDCcDC"

Didier, for the HP-IL shield, I don't want to handle all the logistic. With the agreement of J-F Garnier, I can provide the eagle files and the BOM to any one interested in assembling the board for themselves or for others. The HP-IL to uart converter device that you see on the board is of course coming from J-F.

Patrick
04-08-2016, 06:27 AM
(04-07-2016 09:44 PM)Trancheterriere Wrote:  Didier, for the HP-IL shield, I don't want to handle all the logistic. With the agreement of J-F Garnier, I can provide the eagle files and the BOM to any one interested in assembling the board for themselves or for others. The HP-IL to uart converter device that you see on the board is of course coming from J-F.
Yes I'm interested by the files to get a shield PCB. I already have the parts from J-F (PIL-Box & PIL-IO).
04-08-2016, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 07:49 AM by J-F Garnier.)
(04-07-2016 09:44 PM)Trancheterriere Wrote:  Didier, for the HP-IL shield, I don't want to handle all the logistic. With the agreement of J-F Garnier, I can provide the eagle files and the BOM to any one interested in assembling the board for themselves or for others. The HP-IL to uart converter device that you see on the board is of course coming from J-F.

Nice work, Patrick.

You can provide the eagle file and BOM to any one interested, I have no objection. Your schematic is based on my document here, for which I gave permission for non-commercial use.
I can provide the microcontroler programmed with the latest firmware, note that versions 2.x now use a new microcontroler that doesn't need the external crystal and the two associated capacitors anymore.

A final note: I would prefer the board to be called "HP-IL shield" or "PIL shield" rather than "HP-IL Pil Box". The PIL-Box is ... a box.
BTW, "PIL" comes from the original HP name "Peripheral Interface Loop", before being renamed to "HP-IL".

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2016, 08:38 PM
No problem Jean-François, I have updated the name to "HP-IL shield". To allow users to reuse previous version of your micro-controller, I have not modified the caps and the external crystal.

Didier, please find below the eagle files and gerbers files:

.zip  HP-IL Shield.zip (Size: 98.85 KB / Downloads: 142)

Patrick
04-09-2016, 07:24 AM
(04-08-2016 08:38 PM)Trancheterriere Wrote:  Didier, please find below the eagle files and gerbers files:

Thanks !
09-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Any news about this? Is there someone who wants to build a dozen of this PCBs?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2019, 12:08 AM
RE: HP-IL to Arduino bridge and HP-IL display remake
Did anyone end up having a go at building one of these shields ?

Is all the information needed attached to this thread ? I have the Arduino IL Drive all running nicely and this, and the hp-il display, would make for a nice project. It may also prove too difficult for an amateur like me hence why I am asking is someone has tried it.

Regards

Richard
(09-30-2016 05:07 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Any news about this? Is there someone who wants to build a dozen of this PCBs?
11-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the designing the GPIO-Shield and the Sketch. I managed to get it working with an Arduino Leonardo. There is only one thing that has to be kept in mind, when assembling the PCB: The polarity of the diodes D1 and D2 has to be reversed with regard to the layout. You can see the wrong polarity, when comparing it to the original layout from Jean-François.
Additionally I had to comment out the inclusion of "ildrive.h". The library is missing in the distribution and I can't find a place to download it. But it is not needed for the GPIO-Shield, anyway.
Apart from this everything is working fine.

Best regards
Bernd

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)