HP-41CY re-initialization ROM
12-25-2019, 09:21 PM
RE: HP-41CY re-initialization ROM
(12-24-2019 08:18 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I just received my first 41CY (64K) with -RAMBOX 64b ROM. Smile
Bravo !
If you do PG<> then you should see -RAMBOX 64a , at least it is how it works in Emu41 :-)

Quote:I have the manual for the RAMBox unit but I do not have one for the 41CY in English.
What are the instructions that does what the switches do on the RAMBox ?
Look for "41CY" on the TOS :-)

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2019, 12:42 AM
(12-25-2019 09:21 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Bravo !
Merci! Smile

(12-25-2019 09:21 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  Look for "41CY" on the TOS :-)
I had looked and found the German version of the 41CY manual but not the English version.
Anyway, I did an OCR scan of the manual and with the help of Google Translate, I was able to get the information that I needed.

(12-25-2019 09:21 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  If you do PG<> then you should see -RAMBOX 64a , at least it is how it works in Emu41 :-)
After reading the manual translation, I tried the functions (PG<>, PG10, PG01) to switch the banks.
The result was that CAT2 stopped working correctly.
After that, I tried a Memory Lost and asked the 41CY to clear its QROM, but to no avail.
So, I will need to follow Jürgen procedures to reinstall the whole thing correctly.

I am still searching how to disable QROM pages with the 41CY like it is possible with the RAMBOX & RAMBOX II.
If not, i will experiment with physical modules to see how the system behaves. (bus contention, etc)

Sylvain
Find all posts by this user
12-26-2019, 07:54 PM
(12-26-2019 12:42 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I am still searching how to disable QROM pages with the 41CY like it is possible with the RAMBOX & RAMBOX II.
Short answer: Not possible with the CY.
It's the trade-off for having it all inside instead of mounted externally;-)
The only switches in a CY are the Turbo switch and the write protection switch for page 8,
where the RAM-Box OS resides normally.

To override ill-behaved RAM pages you could try with a couple (better quadruple) of 8K ROM modules,
like the Petroleum or Math/Stat pacs.
However if the calc hangs after trying to switch banks then the best thing
is to wipe out that bank completely, and reinstall using Jürgen's method.

I could also revive your CY easily, but if you have a Clonix,
Jürgen's method may be cheaper, since you can do it yourself;-)

-- Ray
12-27-2019, 06:59 PM
(12-26-2019 07:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  
(12-26-2019 12:42 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I am still searching how to disable QROM pages with the 41CY like it is possible with the RAMBOX & RAMBOX II.
Short answer: Not possible with the CY.
Bummer

(12-26-2019 07:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  It's the trade-off for having it all inside instead of mounted externally;-)
Not happy about it, but I understand. Sad

(12-26-2019 07:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  The only switches in a CY are the Turbo switch and the write protection switch for page 8, where the RAM-Box OS resides normally.
I am seeing only the turbo switch on the side, no page 8 protection switch in view.
I have plugged the ZENROM module in port 2 and tried to erase page 8 with MCED / CLR but it did not worked, so clearly the page 8 is protected somehow.
That smell that I will have to open up the unit.

(12-26-2019 07:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  To override ill-behaved RAM pages you could try with a couple (better quadruple) of 8K ROM modules, like the Petroleum or Math/Stat pacs.
However if the calc hangs after trying to switch banks then the best thing is to wipe out that bank completely, and reinstall using Jürgen's method.
CAT 2 does not completely works but the system is still able to find the functions in the pages FAT.

(12-26-2019 07:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  I could also revive your CY easily, but if you have a Clonix, Jürgen's method may be cheaper, since you can do it yourself;-)
Since I have all Diego's fantastic modules and in multiple copies, that should not be a problem. Wink

Thank you!

Sylvain
12-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Hello Sylvain

Remove the batterys and take a small pin to unprotect the O/S on page 8 with the switch.

[Image: wwrbprotect.png]

Patrik
12-27-2019, 08:04 PM
(12-27-2019 07:32 PM)CY-CL Wrote:  Remove the batterys and take a small pin to unprotect the O/S on page 8 with the switch.
Wow, you really have to know that there is a switch there.
Page 8 has been erased and CAT 2 is now working as expected, time to leave for another family reunion.
Tomorrow, I have to clear the page 8 of the 2nd bank, carefully read Jürgen's instructions and then reinstall -RAMBOX 64a & -RAMBOX 64b ROM's.
Thank you!
Sylvain
12-28-2019, 04:37 PM
I was able to successfully reinitialize my 41CY this morning. Smile
Jürgen's instructions are clear and very easy to follow, his HP-41CY Technical Information gives a great understanding on how the bank switching works on the 41CY, which I didn’t completely understood by reading the Google translation of the German owners manual.
I will order another Clonix-D module from Diego that I will setup with Jürgen's configuration then add it as the initialization module to the 41CY kit.
It also allowed me to discover his HP-41 MCODE Example Project on OSX project, which I was not aware and which I will try in the next few days.
Thank you Jürgen !
Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)