[WP-34S] Firmware v3.x - Does it runs fine on a HP-20B?
05-22-2014, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 09:21 PM by jebem.)
[WP-34S] Firmware v3.x - Does it runs fine on a HP-20B?
I wonder if a HP-20B re-purposed as WP-34S is capable to support the same WP-34S features as when using the HP-30B model?

I would like to have the crystal mod to take advantage of the WP-34S time functions, for instance.

My WP-34S, based on a HP-30B, is dying of keyboard failures. So, it is time to replace it with something more reliable.

I see the prices here in Europe way to high for this HP-30B model, when compared with the HP-20B.
And I can find a HP-20B for half price of a HP-30B. On top of that, the looks are better.
But I wonder about the keyboard quality/issues, as most of what I read about it is that the HP-20B keyboard is not as good as the one found on the HP-30B.
Anyone can share here some real knowledge of keyboard failures on the HP-20B?

Thanks in advance!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 11:10 PM by Jim Horn.)
RE: [WP-34S] Firmware v3.x - Does it runs fine on a HP-20B?
I've been using my HP 20b since receiving it at an HHC around 2008. It was reflashed to become a WP 34S in 2011. And it has had heavy use ever since. I added the quartz crystal well over a year ago and it runs very well indeed.

Compared with my still-stock HP 30b, the 20b keys are noticeably more mushy (no fall-through click action) and has occasionally missed a keypress, though that could be due to inattention on my part. But it has worked and served me very well. The several year old overlay from Eric is holding up very well too.

I could update the '30b to be a WP 34S as well but the '20b is doing so well I'm leaving the '30b well enough alone (in violation of the engineer's dictum of, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"). And, as you say, the black body of the '20b compliments the overlay very well. One other difference is that the '20b has no cover over the display - the LCD glass is directly exposed, making it more susceptible to disaster but being recessed into the calculator it appears to be sufficiently protected. The lack of a case would be a nuisance though I got one as an HHC door prize too.

The '20b has a second class reputation here, it seems, but I've been delighted with mine. My thanks to Cyrille and the rest of the team at HP for making it possible - and certainly to the fantastic WP 34S team as well!
05-23-2014, 11:40 AM
(05-22-2014 11:09 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  I've been using my HP 20b since receiving it at an HHC around 2008. It was reflashed to become a WP 34S in 2011. And it has had heavy use ever since. I added the quartz crystal well over a year ago and it runs very well indeed.

Compared with my still-stock HP 30b, the 20b keys are noticeably more mushy (no fall-through click action) and has occasionally missed a keypress, though that could be due to inattention on my part. But it has worked and served me very well. The several year old overlay from Eric is holding up very well too.

I could update the '30b to be a WP 34S as well but the '20b is doing so well I'm leaving the '30b well enough alone (in violation of the engineer's dictum of, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"). And, as you say, the black body of the '20b compliments the overlay very well. One other difference is that the '20b has no cover over the display - the LCD glass is directly exposed, making it more susceptible to disaster but being recessed into the calculator it appears to be sufficiently protected. The lack of a case would be a nuisance though I got one as an HHC door prize too.

The '20b has a second class reputation here, it seems, but I've been delighted with mine. My thanks to Cyrille and the rest of the team at HP for making it possible - and certainly to the fantastic WP 34S team as well!

Thank you, Jim!
That information is very useful and covers what I was wondering about the HP-20B.

Concerning the need engineers have to "fix" things that are not broken, I am guilty as charged! Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-24-2014, 02:00 PM
(05-23-2014 11:40 AM)jebem Wrote:  Thank you, Jim!
That information is very useful and covers what I was wondering about the HP-20B.

Concerning the need engineers have to "fix" things that are not broken, I am guilty as charged! Smile
Have you checked ebay? After ordering a pre-flashed one w/crystal, I ended up buying 3 30bs off of ebay @ $15(2) and 20(1) USD apiece... They're dirt cheap here, but if you can only get that price from a US seller shipping might make it too expensive... but there must be some sellers in europe...
05-24-2014, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 02:33 PM by walter b.)
RE: [WP-34S] Firmware v3.x - Does it run fine on a HP-20B?
(05-24-2014 02:00 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  ... I ended up buying 3 30bs off of ebay @ $15(2) and 20(1) USD apiece... They're dirt cheap here, but if you can only get that price from a US seller shipping might make it too expensive... but there must be some sellers in europe...

There are some sellers in Europe but they're simply not as cheap as in the usa. We may reach 20 Euros but never 15 usd a piece. HP's export margin must be significant.

d:-/

(BTW: John, do you note the differences in capitalization?)
05-24-2014, 06:21 PM
(05-24-2014 02:00 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 11:40 AM)jebem Wrote:  Thank you, Jim!

Have you checked ebay? After ordering a pre-flashed one w/crystal, I ended up buying 3 30bs off of ebay @ $15(2) and 20(1) USD apiece... They're dirt cheap here, but if you can only get that price from a US seller shipping might make it too expensive... but there must be some sellers in europe...

I just checked TAS UK and DEutchland and the best price would be about 36 Euro + s&h that for Portugal is never less than 10 Euro from UK or Germany.

So, maybe I will buy from TAS U.S.A. as the best price I saw just now was 35 USD inc. s&h. This is a fair price, specially when compared with the high asking prices in Europe. However, our Portuguese Customs are very picky and usually will add about 10 Euro more for import taxes if we get "caught in the act".

And now it is time for the European Champion League final match starting in less than one hour here in Lisbon, between Real Madrid and Atletico de Madrid.
Since two days ago Lisbon district was invaded by Spanish people wearing red or white T-shirts, spending money on huge quantities of beer and fancy food in the best restaurants around, celebrating life!
It is like financial crisis never happened in Iberia!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
(05-24-2014 06:21 PM)jebem Wrote:  It is like financial crisis never happened in Iberia!

Did it?
Certainly not for Real Madrid... :(

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2014, 11:13 PM
(05-24-2014 06:21 PM)jebem Wrote:  I just checked TAS UK and DEutchland and the best price would be about 36 Euro + s&h that for Portugal is never less than 10 Euro from UK or Germany.

You've got mail Smile

Günter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)