I need your opinion to buy an HP48gII, is a good machine?
05-22-2014, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 04:14 PM by Carlos CM (Mexico).)
I need your opinion to buy an HP48gII, is a good machine?
Hi all!

I saw a good deal of HP 48gII (New). $600 MXN ($45 USD)

I need your opinions to decide to buy it.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: I need your opinion to buy an HP48gII, is a good machine?
it's not a bad machine, but for just a little bit more $ (~$75) you can get a new HP-50g, which adds:

Bigger LCD
More RAM
Faster
Better keyboard
USB and serial ports
Updated ROM

If you cannot spend more, and the above items are not important, then yes this is a good machine which has basically the same s/w as the 49g+ and the 50g

--Bob Prosperi
05-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks for your reply Bob! Good analysis of price vs quality.

Best Regards
05-22-2014, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 06:20 PM by jebem.)
(05-22-2014 05:40 PM)Carlos CM (Mexico) Wrote:  Thanks for your reply Bob! Good analysis of price vs quality.

To complement Bob's information:
There are two different versions of the HP-48GII.
The most recent model uses 4 batteries like the 50G and for me the keyboard is as good as the one on the 50G.
The older 48GII models just use 3 batteries and the keyboard is not as good as on the 50G.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-22-2014, 08:14 PM
(05-22-2014 05:26 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  it's not a bad machine, but for just a little bit more $ (~$75) you can get a new HP-50g, which adds:

Bigger LCD
More RAM
Faster
Better keyboard
USB and serial ports
Updated ROM

If you cannot spend more, and the above items are not important, then yes this is a good machine which has basically the same s/w as the 49g+ and the 50g

Well the 48gII in front of me has both, USB and serial Port.

The most important advantage of the 50g over the 48gII beside screen and speed is the SDCARD IMHO, which makes the real difference.

Günter
05-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I just bought an almost-new 50g for $45 USD at amazon.com. It was open-box, the plastic packaging was taped together but looks like a brand new machine, there were a couple of variables in the memory but other than that was unused, with the manual (looks untouched, no wonder he returned the machine!), pouch looks brand new, and the cable was in its original sealed bag.

You could look for a good deal on a used 50g instead of the 48GII, for about the same price you get much more machine. The extra RAM and the SD card are worth it. A lot of people buy the 50g and return it because they don't understand it, so there are good deals out there on machines that are brand new or almost.

Just another option for you to consider.
05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
(05-22-2014 06:19 PM)jebem Wrote:  To complement Bob's information:
There are two different versions of the HP-48GII.
The most recent model uses 4 batteries like the 50G and for me the keyboard is as good as the one on the 50G.
The older 48GII models just use 3 batteries and the keyboard is not as good as on the 50G.

Agree completely, the 4 battery version is a much better Kbd: I was trying to keep things simple...

(05-22-2014 08:14 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Well the 48gII in front of me has both, USB and serial Port.

The most important advantage of the 50g over the 48gII beside screen and speed is the SDCARD IMHO, which makes the real difference.

Günter

The 4-battery version has both port types as well; the orig 48gII had only the USB port IIRC.

And you are sooo right Gunter!! The SD card really is the biggest differentiator and I totally forgot that point (see how often I use the 48gII...)

In any case, as Claudio summarized - Get a 50g!! You will not be sorry and it's almost the same cost, with a bit more work.

--Bob Prosperi
05-22-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't know of the existence of two versions. Thanks so much to all!

Best Regards

User(s) browsing this thread: