Rpl for the prime
08-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Rpl for the prime
This rpl emulator was developed over 2 years ago for diehard hp50 users like myself.
It tries to make the prime into a true rpn and rpl calulator.
To try it out, create an app called rpl. Clear it's main program and used and load the file 'rplinstall2119.txt'

Run this. It will unpack a built in backup and create a working rpl app.

The other two fIles are what exist of documentation.

Have fun..

There are a bunch of posts I did 2 yrs ago with maybe more info.

Attached File(s)
.txt  rplinstallaug2119.txt (Size: 284.46 KB / Downloads: 142)

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2019, 03:17 PM
RE: Rpl for the prime
I hate this forum software. It's worse than the dial up days. Why can't I add more than or attachment?

Attached File(s)
.txt  rplinfo.txt (Size: 18.59 KB / Downloads: 93)

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2019 04:50 PM by toml_12953.)
(08-22-2019 03:14 PM)ji3m Wrote:  The other two fIles are what exist of documentation.

An impressive achievement! But, other two files? I only see rplinfo.txt.

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-22-2019, 05:07 PM
i couldnt figure out to addmore than one attachment. the second file rplinfo.txt is in my own reply.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 05:09 PM
will post late from my phone. not really important for starts.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 06:10 PM
The file attached explains how to install a backup
RPL inclides a command called.backup which save the full user directory and program and note files in a file called BACKUP in the notes directory. If such a file exists when rpl starts it will unpack it.

The main rpl install file contains the backup and simplifies first installation.

Attached File(s)
.txt  installRPL.txt (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 65)

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 08:40 PM
The attached file ainfo.txt shows up when rpl is first installed or whenever a backup is executed.
It is the most documentation available.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Ainfo.txt (Size: 24.93 KB / Downloads: 47)

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 11:43 PM
here is a screenshot of some stuff on rpl stack

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 11:50 PM
one more try eith right file. maybe.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-22-2019, 11:51 PM
this foirum software mzakes me crazy. i cant delete the stupid errors.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-23-2019, 09:39 PM
please be aware that this program makes liberal use of Notes and Programs directories to store auxilliuary programs like x.rpl and x.rppl as well as help files. These directories are common to all prime apps.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-23-2019, 09:43 PM
I would like it to be called Postfix Notation Language (PNL). Polish Notation and its Reverse is not an intuitive name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

PNL (RPL) is really the easiest language in the world, I think it would be an object-oriented RPL, is it possible?
08-23-2019, 10:01 PM
by RPL is implied "reverse polish lisp" which is what rpl is with some sugar syntax. Its a lambda processor.

BTW, the main thing my implementation does is giving the CAS system an i ntegrated programming language without the clumsy clutter of PPL and the oddity of Home and CAS modes.
Uninformity and consistency.

RPL is very object oriented.
The heirarchical variable memory provides inheritance and polymorphisdm.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-24-2019, 02:00 AM
I didn't get a chance to play with your program yet, but I think it's great!
I'm an RPL fan, and any attempt to keep it alive will be celebrated by me (and I know I'm not alone).
Doesn't matter if it was declared obsolete, it's still efficient for number crunching and presents a very cohesive environment.

I thank you for your effort and I hope you keep your app updated for a long time. Cheers!
08-27-2019, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 04:24 PM by pier4r.)
(08-22-2019 11:51 PM)ji3m Wrote:  this foirum software mzakes me crazy. i cant delete the stupid errors.

MyBB is a neat forum, but yes attachment are a bit the old way. You can still upload them somewhere else where it works better for you and then link them here.

One place is hpcalc.org , only you need to wait at most a couple of days until Eric will approve your submission.

See https://www.hpcalc.org/contribute.php

Example of something with screenshots and descriptions updated recently. https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8909

edit: I agree with Claudio "I thank you for your effort and I hope you keep your app updated for a long time." . And when Claudio says this, it is great, given what he has done for the HP calculators.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
08-28-2019, 07:00 AM
I tried to run this but not sure what I'm doing wrong? I get a "stack" view when I use the "Num" key but any input causes the display to vanish.

If I may, I would suggest packaging the entire thing into an app so that users can download it as a single installation. I have some experience in this area and might be able to help with making this easier to use. It is possible I am missing a basic step perhaps?

I have had similar gripes with how the Prime operates and simply want it to be intuitive like the 50g, my effort resulted in a very basic number cruncher https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8963 which helped me feel comfortable doing basic math. I don't have the time to make it a fully featured app, for my needs it has been the go-to app for simple calculations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2019, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2019 09:54 AM by Michael Kathke.)
It would be so great to have a full HP48..50g UI/stack/RPL on the HP Prime. My Prime is a dust collector. I tried it so many times but with my 48SX or my 50g I am always faster. The best feature on a calculator ever is/was RPL "on the go". RPL gives you a efficient way to automate or enhance calcultions on the fly. Having ALL features in one place (shell, stack) is the killer feature of the old HP RPL calculator series. Like Wolfram Alpha or Maple.
For me the App concept is the wrong direction. It is so limited because of it's closed environment. You can do what the App offers you but not more. And after all you need copy and paste between them...

This month I has to bought my son the first programmable calculator for school. TI-nspire CX without CAS was the model we had to choose. Here in germany, as far as I know, teacher prefer TI-nspire.
Against my expectations I was very impressed. Even for me as a very intense HP user since 48SX the first contact to the TI-nspire CX is more intuitive than my Prime. Even without reading any manuals from the TI. I only prefere the prime touch and screen over the TI mouse pointer. But working within the calculating area, with apps, the menues, the PC/Mac App etc. It is so much more advanced on the TI side.

In my opinion HP tried to copy TI. And they build a great hardware (beside the unreadable orange on white keyprint) but lack in the overall usability concept. They have a long way to go with the Prime concept. TI is years ahead.

@HP: And for me as an EE? I dream of a modern 100% stack based, full featured RPL calculator. HP50g functions with 48SX keyboard usability, Prime display, memory and CPU power, SD Card...
08-29-2019, 11:28 AM
(08-29-2019 09:41 AM)Michael Kathke Wrote:  ... I dream of a modern 100% stack based, full featured RPL calculator. HP50g functions with 48SX keyboard usability, Prime display, memory and CPU power, SD Card...

What he said, plus non-crippled Wi-fi and the additional CAS functionality of the Prime.
08-30-2019, 05:00 AM
(08-29-2019 09:41 AM)Michael Kathke Wrote:  ... I dream of a modern 100% stack based, full featured RPL calculator. HP50g functions with 48SX keyboard usability, Prime display, memory and CPU power, SD Card...

I had a dream like that 6 years ago... still not fully featured and no Prime display after 6 years...but hey, it all starts with a dream like that!
09-03-2019, 01:31 PM
(08-29-2019 11:28 AM)John Keith Wrote:  

What he said, plus non-crippled Wi-fi and the additional CAS functionality of the Prime.

This was exactly my intent in developing RPL 4 Prime.
You only need
to load the one file RPLinstall... into a new app program area. Then run it.
VIEW ESC exits RPL, VIEW ENTER reenters it. Or execute app RPL

I had no intention to emulate the details of the 48/50 - There is a very good emulator for that- GO49.

What I did was make a full featured RPN calculator with the same control structures as RPL. The crucial thing about is the object oriented user directory and search. But the CAS on prime is far better than 48.

I am currently working on a new design keyboard graphic for the Prime Android emulator (the graphic can be replaced in the .apk file!!). I do not own a physical prime (I actually bought and returned it since the Emulator on My note 4 is 3 times faster!).
Since it's my main calculator it needs to have a legible keyboard (can't see the letters) and show my RPL overrides vs PRIME home/CAS craziness.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)