Pioneer Repair. Is it worth it?
08-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Pioneer Repair. Is it worth it?
Hi all,
I was recently given an HP 32S and an HP 32SII.

The 32S is very dirty but is working OK, good display and all keys work. I think it will clean up just fine.

The 32SII Is not so good. Only about half the keys work and the ON/Off key is one that does not so I have to remove the batteries just to turn it off. From what I have seen it is fairly easy to remove the back cover without utter destruction. It seems that the keyboard is held to the front cover with about a bajillion plastic rivets. I am wondering what the success rate is for disassembly and cleaning/repairing these is. Do you have any good tips?

I will probably attempt this myself for the learning experience. I have nothing to lose considering the price and that it is not working to begin with. I have a bit of experience repairing classics and HP 67 card readers but these pioneers are a completely different animal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2019, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 08:35 PM by Paul Berger (Canada).)
RE: Pioneer Repair. Is it worth it?
(08-07-2019 05:56 PM)twoweims Wrote:  Hi all,
I was recently given an HP 32S and an HP 32SII.

The 32S is very dirty but is working OK, good display and all keys work. I think it will clean up just fine.

The 32SII Is not so good. Only about half the keys work and the ON/Off key is one that does not so I have to remove the batteries just to turn it off. From what I have seen it is fairly easy to remove the back cover without utter destruction. It seems that the keyboard is held to the front cover with about a bajillion plastic rivets. I am wondering what the success rate is for disassembly and cleaning/repairing these is. Do you have any good tips?

I will probably attempt this myself for the learning experience. I have nothing to lose considering the price and that it is not working to begin with. I have a bit of experience repairing classics and HP 67 card readers but these pioneers are a completely different animal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try pressing down on the front just below the display and see if the keyboard is any better. The connection between the keyboard membranes and the electronics is permissive and held in place by a strip of foam, over time the foam degrades and the keyboard connection get flaky.

This problem is 100% repairable.

Paul.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2019, 10:32 PM
This should help, courtesy of Logan West.

— Ian Abbott
08-08-2019, 01:57 AM
(08-07-2019 10:32 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  This should help, courtesy of Logan West.

Thanks for posting this, I have a 32SII in the repair queue and this will help greatly!

Try CC41!
08-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I disassembled it without breaking anything. I will clean contacts, install new foam and reassemble tonight.
08-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Success!
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't even break anything!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)