WTB HP-55 battery door
08-08-2019, 12:18 AM
WTB HP-55 battery door
I bought a nice HP-55 on TAS. It was supposed to be 100% complete and working.
It is working fine but the battery door latches are broken off.

Does anyone have a spare battery door they would like to sell?

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2019, 01:04 AM
RE: WTB HP-55 battery door
Another option is to buy 3D printed replacement latches, found here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4LTRMC...d=61111328

Although the item purchase is not cheap, it does include 6 pcs., so you can save some for other machines, and/or sell the ones you don't need.

Also, note that the doors/latches for other classics (45,55,80) are the same so you could also use those. The 65 door is different but latches probably compatible, and 70 the same size, etc. but a different color.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2019, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 01:07 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
If you look at the HP Calculator Parts & Services article, you will find a link to the 3D printed battery door latches that Nate Martin has made.

Sylvain

edit: Robert beat me by 2 min. Wink
08-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Just saw this item you may like. It's not 100% original, but it works and it's cheaper:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard...3748886976

--Bob Prosperi
08-17-2019, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 08:36 AM by [kby].)
Don’t forget, though, that the 55 door is green, and all of the repro’s I’ve seen (at least the ready-made ones or parts) are black. 70 is an even odder color.-kby
08-19-2019, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2019 01:50 PM by twoweims.)
I could not bear to spend $45.00 when I have a set of calipers, Fusion 360, and a 3D printer already. Mine are not as pretty but they work great. I have even found some filament that more closely matches the original green color.

04-01-2020, 07:09 PM
I ordered some. Here is the message I sent to the designer:

Your battery latch does not fit an HP-45. The rectangle that holds the foot on an original is 9.5 mm long, yours is 10.3 mm and will not allow the battery door to close. It also does not allow the tab to slide over the "bump". The width is good, 6.35 mm. The photo shows a broken latch, but the size of the rectangle that holds the foot is obvious.

I am assuming you left out the hole for the foot tab intentionally. It should be there. Ever foot I have has the tab strong enough to be insert. If not, I could be held with adhesive.

(08-08-2019 01:04 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Another option is to buy 3D printed replacement latches, found here:

Although the item purchase is not cheap, it does include 6 pcs., so you can save some for other machines, and/or sell the ones you don't need.

Also, note that the doors/latches for other classics (45,55,80) are the same so you could also use those. The 65 door is different but latches probably compatible, and 70 the same size, etc. but a different color.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-02-2020, 12:03 AM
(04-01-2020 07:09 PM)JohnRausch Wrote:  I ordered some. Here is the message I sent to the designer:

Your battery latch does not fit an HP-45. The rectangle that holds the foot on an original is 9.5 mm long, yours is 10.3 mm and will not allow the battery door to close. It also does not allow the tab to slide over the "bump". The width is good, 6.35 mm. The photo shows a broken latch, but the size of the rectangle that holds the foot is obvious.

I am assuming you left out the hole for the foot tab intentionally. It should be there. Ever foot I have has the tab strong enough to be insert. If not, I could be held with adhesive.

(08-08-2019 01:04 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Another option is to buy 3D printed replacement latches, found here:

I was able to get these to work with a bit of trim using an X-Acto knife and sanding/filing.

I'm guessing, but it's possible the slot for the tab wasn't included as that would have notably weakened the small part. Also, most often, the old latches are missing so one usually doesn't have the foot to move to the new latch. Small rubber feet of all sizes are cheaply available on eBay, but you can also just cut some from rubber sheet.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)