Found a great pen to mark HP calculator cards
07-01-2022, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2022 02:24 AM by Xorand.)
Found a great pen to mark HP calculator cards
After recently purchasing a working card reader for my 41CX along with some new and used cards, I was debating what to use to mark my cards. I wanted something non-permanent, so I ended up using a mechanical pencil. Graphite, however, ends up smearing over time and to be honest doesn't erase too easily off of HP's magnetic cards.

On a whim, I tried one of my Pilot Frixion pens. I had purchased a few of these pens to go along with some re-usable notebooks I picked up a year or two ago. The ink dries within a minute or so on the HP cards and doesn't smear. However, the ink wipes off clean when wetted with some water (i just used a wet finger for a test).

I've got a few cards marked with the Frixion pen and will see how they hold up long term, as well as to see if they can still be wiped clean with water after a longer period of time.

[Image: i-bpddZCw-L.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2022, 12:00 AM
RE: Found a great pen to mark 41C/67 cards
Does it work on 65 cards too?

Sorry, early morning attempt at humor :-)

cheers

Tony
07-02-2022, 01:38 AM
(07-02-2022 12:00 AM)teenix Wrote:  Does it work on 65 cards too?

cheers

Tony

Probably so. I forgot the 65 had a card reader as well.

Smile
07-02-2022, 08:36 AM
(07-02-2022 01:38 AM)Xorand Wrote:  
(07-02-2022 12:00 AM)teenix Wrote:  Does it work on 65 cards too?

cheers

Tony

Probably so. I forgot the 65 had a card reader as well.

Smile

Still no clue about 71B and 75C/D...

Tongue

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2022, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2022 09:56 PM by Xorand.)
(07-02-2022 08:36 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(07-02-2022 01:38 AM)Xorand Wrote:  Probably so. I forgot the 65 had a card reader as well.

Smile

Still no clue about 71B and 75C/D...

Tongue

LOL, OK, those, too. I even updated the post title for completeness.
07-27-2022, 07:31 PM
RE: Found a great pen to mark HP calculator cards
(07-01-2022 01:08 AM)Xorand Wrote:  On a whim, I tried one of my Pilot Frixion pens. I had purchased a few of these pens to go along with some re-usable notebooks I picked up a year or two ago. The ink dries within a minute or so on the HP cards and doesn't smear. However, the ink wipes off clean when wetted with some water (i just used a wet finger for a test).

I've got a few cards marked with the Frixion pen and will see how they hold up long term, as well as to see if they can still be wiped clean with water after a longer period of time.

The other nice thing about these pens is they use a bistable invisible ink. Heating the ink up by friction (using the "eraser" at the end of the pen) turns it transparent. Cooling it below -10C for a while turns it visible again!

— Ian Abbott
07-29-2022, 12:28 PM
RE: Found a great pen to mark HP calculator cards
(07-27-2022 07:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  The other nice thing about these pens is they use a bistable invisible ink. Heating the ink up by friction (using the "eraser" at the end of the pen) turns it transparent. Cooling it below -10C for a while turns it visible again!

Interesting. I knew about the friction part "erasing" the ink. Didn't realize it would come back by freezing it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)