HHC 2019 wish list
07-10-2019, 09:49 PM
HHC 2019 wish list
Maybe this has been tried before.

What would you like to see at HHC 2019? What presentation topic would you love to see? What prize table item do you long to find. What would you like to buy or swap?

A vendor selling G2 primes? DM42s? 41CLs? WP34s's
A tutorial on HPPPL?
How to repair an HP67?
etc. etc.

With any luck, this thread will inspire people to buy/sell/trade/present things that others will find interesting.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2019, 09:53 PM
RE: HHC 2019 wish list
Participation (with paid conference fee) via SKYPE?

SlideRule
07-10-2019, 10:26 PM
A few years ago we held the HHC meeting at Fort Collins, Colorado. On Monday after the meeting weekend we visited NIST and NOA in Boulder, Colorado. The NIST folks mentioned that they had a meeting room and they could stream the video of the meeting on the Internet. Unfortunately, holding an HHC at NIST would be expensive!!

Namir
07-11-2019, 05:54 AM
Hello,

The NIST/NOA visit were WONDERFULL!!!!!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
07-11-2019, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2019 09:44 PM by [kby].)
(07-10-2019 09:53 PM)SlideRule Wrote:  Participation (with paid conference fee) via SKYPE?

SlideRule

Having NOT been to HHC, but to other conferences, this sounds like a good idea at first, but, upon further reflection, doesn't seem worth the effort:

Much of the synergy of going to a conference coms from direct interactions, which is really hard to do on-line in a group setting. All of the following actions are not feasible remotely:

1. Direct buying/selling/negotiation (not auctions)
2. Spontaneous sharing/connection of information
3. Tours to related off-site facilities/events
4. Exhibit-hall events/interactions with vendors
5. Better opportunity for singular focus while attending the event (not distracted by work/family/etc.)
6. Q&A at sessions where the presentation itself provokes the question (questions known ahead of time could be submitted on-line and might even get better answers as the speaker could research the topic ahead of time)

All that can really be shared is the presentations, and that goal could be accomplished by just video recording of the presentations. If there are parallel sessions, that's probably desirable anyway in case an attendee's chosen sections overlap in time, as it allows everyone to see all of the sessions.
07-12-2019, 06:01 PM
(07-11-2019 09:42 PM)[kby] Wrote:  If there are parallel sessions, that's probably desirable anyway in case an attendee's chosen sections overlap in time, as it allows everyone to see all of the sessions.

The "dual-track" conference approach was attempted only a few times ('79, '81, '96) with the most-recent one being 1996 in Anaheim, California. I was always paranoid about missing the best presentation of the conference by being at the "wrong session". That nightmare came true in Corvallis in 1981 when I presented PPC ROM routines while missing HP's Bill Egbert present the first info on the "future" HP-calculator processor, the "Saturn". Uggh!

Jake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)