Prime G2 available in USA
07-03-2019, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2019 12:33 AM by rprosperi.)
Prime G2 available in USA
The Prime G2 is available in BestBuy stores, presumably throughout US. BestBuy also still has inventory of the prior model (h/w Ver. C, also called V2) at a reduced price.

My unit has S/N 9CJ916xxxx, so made in April of this year in the "9CJ" factory, undoubtedly in China. It came in the same light grey and blue bubble style pkg. seen before now.

Included in the pkg:
  • Prime G2 device with slide cover
  • HP warranty statement foldout in 17 languages
  • Getting started foldout (showing almost nothing) but in the same 17 languages
  • A single sheet noting the rubber cap on the USB cord should only be used w/supplied adapter
  • USB cable (w/rubber 'safety shield' attached)
  • Unit-toUnit cable
  • Power block
  • USA plug for power block
  • No Manual of any kind

My Prime had enough power for initial setup (date, time, etc.) but was nearly empty after that. As received, my Prime had this configuration:
  • Software Version: 2.0.0.13865 (2018 08 02)
  • Hardware Version: D
  • CAS Version: 1.4.9
  • Serial Number: 9J916xxxx
  • Operating System: V2.060.650

After charging, I'll update to latest f/w and add additional comments as needed.

Update: Updated quickly using the ConnKit with no hiccups or drama.

My G2 also works great with a wireless dongle and though that seemed like a gimmick, it is actually very handy to not have to track down or manage cables.

One odd thing I noticed is you cannot turn the G2 off if it is currently connected to the CK; [shift] [off] does nothing at all. This is odd because it's different from having the USB cable connected (where it shuts-off just fine) but also because it doesn't seem to be documented.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2019, 09:18 PM
RE: Prime G2 available in USA
Today I went to my local Best Buy store: no luck.
07-04-2019, 08:03 PM
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-prime-ha...Id=6348951 might be the new one as the other unit shows up at a lower price and marked for “clearance.”
07-04-2019, 08:16 PM
(07-04-2019 08:03 PM)WillMarchant Wrote:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-prime-ha...Id=6348951 might be the new one as the other unit shows up at a lower price and marked for “clearance.”

This is indeed the G2. Note "Model:2AP18AA#ABA" near the top of the listing.

It seems the prior models are being sold (at BB) for $119.

--Bob Prosperi
07-05-2019, 01:23 AM
(07-04-2019 08:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-prime-ha...Id=6348951

Might be worth monitoring BB for a while. I remember a few years back reading a post here one morning that they were dumping their remaining HP50g stock for under $50. Bought one. Later that day, posters were complaining that there were no more left Smile

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
(07-05-2019 01:23 AM)mfleming Wrote:  
(07-04-2019 08:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-prime-ha...Id=6348951

Might be worth monitoring BB for a while. I remember a few years back reading a post here one morning that they were dumping their remaining HP50g stock for under $50. Bought one. Later that day, posters were complaining that there were no more left Smile

~Mark

Don't temp me! I've decided, about 11 times, that I don't need a Prime V2; I have a V1 from the initial sales in 2013 and now the G2, and there is no reason to want a V2. Even if there is a fire sale. Really.

But I just know someday I'll regret it...

--Bob Prosperi
07-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Best Buy in Portland, OR has the G2 in stock and I bought one on Friday. Works fine, has the 2018 8 02 build. Keyboard is easier to read than the original which I bought when they first came out.

Today tried to register it but neither the product number nor the serial number were recognized. I sent a letter to HP in Palo Alto with all the relevant information and asked them to forward it to whatever department handles product registration.

Support site for the Prime has the same old documentation from 2017 and earlier.

I'll try inputting some integrals that "clog" the original prime and see what happens.
07-06-2019, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2019 11:29 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Thank you for the notice, Bob. I'll have to scan the Best Buys near me. Is it worth shelling out the $150 for the G2 over the G1?

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2019, 08:03 AM
(07-05-2019 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Don't temp me! I've decided, about 11 times, that I don't need a Prime V2; I have a V1 from the initial sales in 2013 and now the G2, and there is no reason to want a V2. Even if there is a fire sale. Really.

You've got to scratch that itch, even if just for the sake of completeness of the collection!

Unless I'm mistaken, the sequence of releases was:

* Rev. A with pale markings
* Rev. C with pale markings
* Rev. C with darker, actually readable, markings
* Rev. D (G2)

If I'm correct then the only one I'm missing now is the second one, Rev. C with pale keys.
07-07-2019, 03:51 PM
(07-07-2019 08:03 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  You've got to scratch that itch, even if just for the sake of completeness of the collection!

Unless I'm mistaken, the sequence of releases was:

* Rev. A with pale markings
* Rev. C with pale markings
* Rev. C with darker, actually readable, markings
* Rev. D (G2)

If I'm correct then the only one I'm missing now is the second one, Rev. C with pale keys.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what's are the differences between HW Rev A and Rev C? Is it "just" the wireless connectivity?
07-07-2019, 04:55 PM
(07-07-2019 03:51 PM)rrpalma Wrote:  Please pardon my ignorance, but what's are the differences between HW Rev A and Rev C? Is it "just" the wireless connectivity?

According to the Wikipedia page, the differences are wireless connectivity, USB unit-to-unit communication, and StreamSmart 410 compatibility. And of course, the keyboard printing changed to use darker shades of orange and blue part way along the Rev C production lifetime.

— Ian Abbott
07-07-2019, 05:16 PM
(07-07-2019 03:51 PM)rrpalma Wrote:  Please pardon my ignorance, but what's are the differences between HW Rev A and Rev C? Is it "just" the wireless connectivity?

For a detailed view of the differences between Hardware Version A with light keys and Hardware Version C with light keys, see this video HP Prime A vs C. The youtube video is in French, but it is easy to follow and see the differences from the pictures. The video also shows how you can determine which model you have using the "About" in the Help menu.
07-07-2019, 06:49 PM
(07-07-2019 04:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  

According to the Wikipedia page, the differences are wireless connectivity, USB unit-to-unit communication, and StreamSmart 410 compatibility. And of course, the keyboard printing changed to use darker shades of orange and blue part way along the Rev C production lifetime.

(07-07-2019 05:16 PM)Gene222 Wrote:  

For a detailed view of the differences between Hardware Version A with light keys and Hardware Version C with light keys, see this video HP Prime A vs C. The youtube video is in French, but it is easy to follow and see the differences from the pictures. The video also shows how you can determine which model you have using the "About" in the Help menu.

Thank you very much Gene & Ian!
07-13-2019, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2019 05:19 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Quick first impressions of the G2:

Easy to update to the latest firmware

As lightweight of G1

Keys feel good to touch

I'm hoping that the screen is scratch resistant. I may buy a screen protector for it.

G2 does increase calculating and drawing speed, not that G1 was ever a slouch to begin with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2019, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2019 07:37 AM by grsbanks.)
(07-13-2019 05:17 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  G2 does increase calculating and drawing speed, not that G1 was ever a slouch to begin with.

Calculating speed is multiplied by around 3, which is amazing for a machine with a CPU that's only 30% faster than its predecessor. Better RAM and a better O/S make all the difference!

Try this on the G1 and G2: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11402.html
07-14-2019, 05:16 PM
(07-03-2019 04:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One odd thing I noticed is you cannot turn the G2 off if it is currently connected to the CK; [shift] [off] does nothing at all. This is odd because it's different from having the USB cable connected (where it shuts-off just fine) but also because it doesn't seem to be documented.

I asked about that a few weeks ago. The reason for it is that the wireless setup is for schools and HP doesn't want students to be able to shut off the calculator in mid-transfer or something. If you'll notice, wireless transfers take quite a bit longer than wired ones and students might think their calc is locked up and try to turn it off.

I still have quite a few wireless dongles available free except for the price of shipping from the USA. If you don't have the base antenna, you'll need two. One to connect to the PC and one to the calculator.

Tom L
Cui bono?
07-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Hi Tom,

If you don't mind me asking, how much would it be to send two of those dongles to me in Brazil?

-Victor
07-24-2019, 07:32 PM
(07-05-2019 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-05-2019 01:23 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Might be worth monitoring BB for a while. I remember a few years back reading a post here one morning that they were dumping their remaining HP50g stock for under $50. Bought one. Later that day, posters were complaining that there were no more left Smile

~Mark

Don't temp me! I've decided, about 11 times, that I don't need a Prime V2; I have a V1 from the initial sales in 2013 and now the G2, and there is no reason to want a V2. Even if there is a fire sale. Really.

And today BB online has the V2 model for $90
07-24-2019, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2019 09:28 PM by rprosperi.)
(07-24-2019 07:32 PM)ctrclckws Wrote:  
(07-05-2019 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Don't temp me! I've decided, about 11 times, that I don't need a Prime V2; I have a V1 from the initial sales in 2013 and now the G2, and there is no reason to want a V2. Even if there is a fire sale. Really.

And today BB online has the V2 model for $90

Please allow me to modify my position, just a bit.

There are early V2 units with the original low-contrast shifted key colors, and also later units with the much-improved higher-contrast shifted key colors, though both carry the same Model number, g8x92aa#aba.

That said, there is no reason to want an early V2.

And now BB has new late V2 units for $90 and I just saw one (V1, too bad) on eBay starting auction at $30. Since these are even more aggressive (IMHO) than the aforementioned fire sale, it appears the G2 is already pushing down the price of older units, so the odds that there could eventually be a V2 in my future are changing...

Another point of view: from a collecting perspective, there are actually 4 HP Prime models to collect: Original, V2-Early, V2-Late, and G2. But only sick, disturbed OCD minds look at things this way...

--Bob Prosperi
07-25-2019, 01:00 AM
(07-24-2019 09:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Another point of view: from a collecting perspective, there are actually 4 HP Prime models to collect: Original, V2-Early, V2-Late, and G2. But only sick, disturbed OCD minds look at things this way...

I'm very, very sick and disturbed :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)