My HP Prime G2 review.
01-21-2020, 09:44 AM
RE: My HP Prime G2 review.
Thank you for your efforts to make a high detailed review, of the Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2020, 01:30 AM
Haha hopefully we wont have to wait too long for the G3. Big Grin
Thanks for all your support guys! I really appreciate it!

I decided to try and make the wall of text a bit more interesting so I tried to add some images to it. Unfortunately this forum limits the amount of images to only 10 so I'm linking my Cemetech post where I can post all the images I want: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15835

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Thank you very much for your excellent review.

One additional thing tat might be important is the quality of the link to a PC and the quality of the software on the PC delivered by HP and TI. If I compare the HP Prime and the TI-nspire CX II CAS concerning this aspect I come to the following conclusion:
HP prime is much better for exchanging data. If I have data on my PC e.g. in Excel it is easy to bring that data to the prime and vice versa using the spreadsheet application on the prime (PC or calculator). It seems to me that this task is much more difficult with the TI-nspire. On the other hand the HP prime makes a 1:1 copy of the calculator on the PC whereas using the TI-nspire-Software on the PC you can switch to computer mode where the resolution is much better. This is relevant if you want to put a function graph in a paper. I would not like to take the one from the HP prime where the resolution is poor. The graphs in the computer mode of the PC-software of the TI-nspire is much smoother and has a much higher resolution. Attached you will find an example to demonstrate this.

Best

Raimund

Attached File(s)
.docx  Beispiel.docx (Size: 138.52 KB / Downloads: 31)
01-28-2020, 03:39 PM
(01-24-2020 10:01 PM)rawi Wrote:  ... HP prime is much better for exchanging data (than TI-nspire - added by chromos). ... Attached you will find an example to demonstrate this.

I don't want to be nitpicker, but it would be better if your attached example was in .jpeg or at least in .pdf format, instead of some proprietary one. Data exchange between people is equally important as it is with calculator and PC. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
01-28-2020, 04:24 PM
(01-28-2020 03:39 PM)chromos Wrote:  I don't want to be nitpicker, but it would be better if your attached example was in .jpeg or at least in .pdf format, instead of some proprietary one.

I don't want to be a nitpicker either, but though docx files are MS Word files, they can be opened by open-source programs (Open Office, Libre Office, etc.). PDF is also a proprietary format (Adobe) but both are de facto standards for file interchange online.
01-28-2020, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 09:48 PM by ijabbott.)
(01-28-2020 04:24 PM)John Keith Wrote:  
(01-28-2020 03:39 PM)chromos Wrote:  I don't want to be nitpicker, but it would be better if your attached example was in .jpeg or at least in .pdf format, instead of some proprietary one.

I don't want to be a nitpicker either, but though docx files are MS Word files, they can be opened by open-source programs (Open Office, Libre Office, etc.). PDF is also a proprietary format (Adobe) but both are de facto standards for file interchange online.

I don't want to be a nitpicker either, but both PDF and Office Open XML (docx) formats are described by ISO standards.

EDIT: Corrected Open Office XML to Office Open XML (not to be confused with OpenOffice.org XML, which isn't an ISO standard, or Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument), which is an ISO standard).

— Ian Abbott
01-29-2020, 12:55 AM
Heh, are we really arguing about file types? [Image: icon_rolleyes.gif]

Anyways, those are some interesting points rawi, I haven't tried to send spread sheets to my Prime nor have I used the Nspire software yet so I couldn't reliably write about them right now. I'll be sure to keep it in mind though!

Cemetech | YouTube
01-29-2020, 06:34 AM
Hello,

Spread sheet data exchange is something often done in the education system where a teacher will use Excel to prepare data for a science or statistic lesson. He then wants to transfer said data or formula to the calculator to use in the classroom.

We spent a LOT of time trying to get copy and paste working form Excel to the con kit view of the spreadsheet. and you can, within limit, do proper copy and paste from one to the other (or from excel to the prime emulator spreadsheet)...

If you do a "normal" copy from excel to the calc, you get the values.
If you turn off the "show result" check mark (or whatever it's called) in Excel so that the formulas show, then you can also copy/paste the formulas to the calculator.

You can, in return, copy from the calc spreadsheet to excel so that you can use the calc awsome calculating capacities (such as the CAS) to create spreadsheets data there and copy them to excel.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
01-29-2020, 08:13 PM
(01-29-2020 06:34 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

We spent a LOT of time trying to get copy and paste working form Excel to the con kit view of the spreadsheet. and you can, within limit, do proper copy and paste from one to the other (or from excel to the prime emulator spreadsheet)...

If you do a "normal" copy from excel to the calc, you get the values.
If you turn off the "show result" check mark (or whatever it's called) in Excel so that the formulas show, then you can also copy/paste the formulas to the calculator.

You can, in return, copy from the calc spreadsheet to excel so that you can use the calc awsome calculating capacities (such as the CAS) to create spreadsheets data there and copy them to excel.

Cyrille

Your time was well spent, sir. One of my favorite features of the Prime!
01-30-2020, 05:39 AM
Wow, as usual, I had no idea you put so much effort into this! I foresee me needing this feature in the near future since I'm going to be using Excel a lot soon. Thanks for the info Cyrille! You guys always manage to surprise me with something amazing. Smile

Cemetech | YouTube
11-20-2020, 09:46 PM
This is a great review, very thorough and detailed. One thing it missed though is compatibility. While I have had HP calculators since HP 32E and from there thorugh 11C, 28S, 48G, 49GX, 50G and some emulators, it´s clear to me that HP RPN programming is somehow common through the previous models until this. I really like all the features available on this model ( particularly G2), but not being able to run RPN programs really challenges this model as it requires to rewrite mostly all the old school programs. Nice if you like to challenge your brain again, particularly if you are not a computer programmer but rather an electromechanical engineer as I am. Besides that, great post and thanks for sharing it. Cheers !
11-21-2020, 09:02 AM
(11-20-2020 09:46 PM)FMoon Wrote:  One thing it missed though is compatibility. While I have had HP calculators since HP 32E and from there thorough 11C, 28S, 48G, 49GX, 50G and some emulators, it's clear to me that HP RPN programming is somehow common through the previous models until this. I really like all the features available on this model (particularly G2), but not being able to run RPN programs really challenges this model as it requires to rewrite mostly all the old school programs.

This is certainly one of the weak points of the model, a fact that is related to the actual target group, namely schoolchildren and students. The calculator was designed as a teaching aid from the start, and engineers and scientists were not necessarily seen as potential buyers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)