WP 43S
06-11-2019, 09:53 PM
RE: WP 43S
The plan is to have a DM42 style keyboard printed -- no overlay.

Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the explanation Pauli. A real printed keyboard would be very nice. If we can get the order quantity up, it might even be reasonably priced.
06-11-2019, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2019 10:17 PM by ijabbott.)
(06-11-2019 03:49 PM)Leviset Wrote:  Pauli,
In the early 90s I was an IT Testing Team Leader for a large IT Shop.
I’d be more than welcome to ‘test’ the WP43S if that’s a help, as there are many more qualified Forum members than me to help with the coding! (I was a Systems Analyst/Programmer from 1979-90 (as a freelance contractor) then an IT Testing Team Leader (mainly on Tandem non/stop Mainframes and IBM 3090) between 1990-1992 and finally the running of Worldwide Computer & Network Live Operations between 1992-2004.
So I’ve not coded commercially since 1990 but have kept my ‘hands in use’ for my own projects although mainly using high level development tools like Microsoft Access, FileMaker Pro & Mathematica with a smattering of Python.
I’m assuming you only have a part built WS43S and are using an emulator of the WS43S to try out your source code?

As a very minor contributor to the project (mostly getting GNU make to play nice), I can tell you that the emulator is currently the platform of choice for development and testing of the code. It is written in C, and the emulator uses GTK+ 3 libraries for the graphical interface.

Quote:Whatever system your emulator runs in, I do have Windows 8.1/10, OSX, Linux, iOS and Raspberry Pi environment setups at home.
I’ve also owned the WP34S for a few years.
Dennis

The project is hosted on GitLab (not GitHub), with the master repository at https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s. The emulator can be built for 64-bit versions of Windows, Linux, and OSX, so a Raspberry Pi would probably need some tweaks to the Makefile (except maybe a Raspberry Pi 3).

It can use GNU make for building (which is what I use) but it can also be built in the Code::Blocks IDE.

I have successfully built it on both Linux and Windows, using an MSYS2/MinGW-w64 development environment for Windows. I guess you could also use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) on Windows 10, although I haven't tried it. You need various development libraries installed - mainly the GTK+-3.0 libraries (for the GUI interface) and the FreeType 2 libraries (to generate the embedded raster font bitmaps). Half the battle is setting up the build environment, especially on Windows!

— Ian Abbott
07-03-2019, 07:18 PM
(06-11-2019 09:53 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The plan is to have a DM42 style keyboard printed -- no overlay.

Pauli

Has anyone created a signup list for those interested in buying a WP-43 printed keyboard? If such a list exists you may add my name to that list. The more people who participate the lower the price will be per buyer.
Also if a cost analysis has been done on the estimated cost of such a keyboard, I would be interested in that info as well. The main reason I bought my DM-42 was to eventually convert it into a WP-43S calculator. I really love the platform. It has all of the missing elements that we dreamed of for the WP-34S. I may be interested in helping out with coding on the WP-43S project. I contributed substantially to the HP-15C Simulator by Torsten Manz. I improved the gamma function, and the hyperbolic trig functions for that calculator and helped with more than 100 bug fixes.
If I can be of help, just let me know where to get started.
07-03-2019, 08:43 PM
(07-03-2019 07:18 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  If I can be of help, just let me know where to get started.

Most of the WP43S discussion takes place on the SwissMicros forum, including by several of the developers. Probably best to post such a question there, it will likely get read sooner.

Nice work on Torsten's simulator, thanks for contributing to that; the new version with DM15 interface is excellent.

--Bob Prosperi
07-15-2019, 12:59 PM
(04-29-2019 09:41 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Any assistance would be beneficial.
Pauli

Hi Pauli!

I'm very interested to contribute but in such a big project I need to be guided.
My free time varies, my hardware equipment is poor (old Linux PCs) and my experience in building a calculator is restricted to some "toys" (see SCOTT, ScArY and ARC on github.com/zooxo).

If you are interested anyway - please post me what to do next.

Regards
deetee
07-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Hi 43s community, have you ever considered the option to us Qt QML instead of Gtk?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)