Poll: What entry mode do you use on the Prime?
Textbook
Algebraic
RPN
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What entry mode do you use the most?
04-18-2019, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2019 05:35 PM by Tugdual.)
What entry mode do you use the most?
Just curious...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2019, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2019 02:12 PM by compsystems.)
RE: What entry mode do you use?
The algebraic word is not very explicit, the input of expressions in "algebraic" mode can be either linearly / 1D (beginning of the computational syntax) or Two-dimensional/2D emulating the true notation of the mathematics books also called prettyprint.

The linear notation and prettyprint many call it infix notation, which is not always true, for example 5! the factorial operator is postfix, the operators ABS, CEIL and FLOOR are in notation exofix
|-6.5|, ⌈-5.3⌉, ⌊-2.9⌋

In summary I would say standard notation (1D / 2D) and RPN

1: Standard
Linear input (1D): (a + b) ^ 2
Two-dimensional input (math textbook): (a + b) ²

2: RPN: a b + 2 ^

All the above talking about the entry of expressions in the history view, even the hpprime in the programming view is encoded linearly "algebraic", the only calculator that is encoded in two-dimensional notation is the TInspire

Notice in the following image that the variables SOL1 and SOL2 have mathematical expressions in 2D
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Currently the GIAC / Xcas engine supports python syntax in standard mode, please add this entry mode in the survey

PHP Code:
#cas
def legendre_nevalX="" ):

local pxxpurge(x)

px := 1/(2^n*n!)*diff((x^2-1)^n,x,n)
    if 
getType(evalX)=="NUM" or getType(evalX)=="EXPR" or getType(evalX)=="VAR":

px:=subst(px,x=evalX)

elif getType(evalX)=="STR" and evalX=="list":

px:=e2r(px)   
    return 
px;
#end 

legendre_(2),legendre_(2,y),legendre_(2,"list"),legendre_(2,10),legendre_(2,cos(t)) [enter]

1/8*(12*x^2-4), 1/8*(12*y^2-4), poly1[3/2,0,-1/2],2 99/2, 1/8*(12*cos(t)^2-4) // the above output is written in linear notation

Finally I dream of a 100% entry mode in RPN, the teacher Bernard Parisse informs that it is difficult but I think it is not impossible that it can be encoded in some day in XCAS in RPN mode =)

https://xcas.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/foru...=19&t=2313
04-18-2019, 04:58 PM
You might get more replies if you change the question to "Which entry mode do you use the most?" I use all three, depending on what I'm doing, so I can't answer the poll as currently stated.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2019, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2019 10:22 AM by JMB.)
(04-18-2019 01:26 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The algebraic word is not very explicit, ...
In the HP Pime parlance, "Algebraic" is very explicit. Just read the explanation of the different entry types in the user manual (page 20):

● Textbook—An expression is entered in much the same way as if you were
writing it on paper (with some arguments above or below others). In other words,
your entry could be two-dimensional.

● Algebraic—An expression is entered on a single line. Your entry is always one-dimensional.

● RPN—Reverse Polish Notation. The arguments of the expression are entered
first followed by the operator. The entry of an operator automatically evaluates
what has already been entered.

Josep Mollera. HP PRIME, HW: C, SW: 2.1.14730 (2023 04 13).
04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
RE: What entry mode do you use the most?
(04-18-2019 04:58 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  You might get more replies if you change the question to "Which entry mode do you use the most?" I use all three, depending on what I'm doing, so I can't answer the poll as currently stated.

I updated the title, not sure I can update the poll...
04-18-2019, 05:38 PM
RE: What entry mode do you use the most?
(04-18-2019 01:26 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The algebraic word is not very explicit

I refer to the home settings of the Prime.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)