Low-usage HP-42S for sale
04-17-2019, 11:19 PM
Low-usage HP-42S for sale
Hi,

I have a very low usage time 1987 HP-42S I would like to sell. I bought it back in the day thinking I was going to get one work assignment and ended up getting another
and I have barely used it. I've changed the batteries twice, the second time just a few weeks ago and the calculator operates normally as far as I can tell.

The case is the original, as is the User's Manual. All got moved around several times
over the past 30 years and the case and manual show a small amount of wear and tear, but I would define all three items as being in excellent condition.

I am perfectly willing to have all by three items examined by an acceptable third party for validity and condition.

Currently on E-Bay, used 42-S's are being offered from $150.00 up to $400.00. Based on this, I am asking $500.00, subject to negotiation and any third-party authentication.

My first calculator was an HP-21 back in 1977 so I know about HP calculator quality and I wanted this community to have the first shot at it. The simple fact is I have no need for it and I would like to sell the 42-S to someone who will use it. It's been sitting around for 30 years and it wants to be used.

Thanks for your time,
Larry Evilsizer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2019, 07:52 PM
RE: Low-usage HP-42S for sale
Hello,

The SN of the calculator is 2921S33480 as shown in the attached jpg.
I'm trying to find someone to make a video of the unit running the self-tests.

If I'm successful with the video, is there somewhere I can upload it to?

Thanks for your time,
Larry Evilsizer

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-29-2019, 07:22 AM
(04-28-2019 07:52 PM)LarryEvilsizer729 Wrote:  If I'm successful with the video, is there somewhere I can upload it to?

YouTube?

You just need a Google account.
04-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Sorry, I just have to ask...

As you have posted, there are many 42S machines on eBay, with ASKING prices that range up to $400, but actual prices paid don't exceed ~$250.

So:

1. Why would you presume the asking price here should be higher than on eBay? Folks looking here are typically better informed and eBay offers quality guarantees, easy payment options, refunds if not satisfied, etc.?

2. Why would you expect someone here would pay more than folks pay on eBay?

Most often, folks that list items here rather than eBay (or similar sites) are more concerned that their items find a loving home rather than a maximum price, but not always. I've no problem with your listing, you're fully welcome to do as you please, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

--Bob Prosperi
04-29-2019, 06:06 PM
(04-29-2019 01:43 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Sorry, I just have to ask...

As you have posted, there are many 42S machines on eBay, with ASKING prices that range up to $400, but actual prices paid don't exceed ~$250.

I agree with Bob, the asking price of $500 is much too high (even you make me a rich man when I could sell all my stuff for that high prices). $500 would be a areasonable price for a brand new HP42 in SEALED box.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2019, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2019 01:44 PM by burkhard.)
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Certainly ask whatever you think it's worth, but in the last year and a half I have picked up up two really nice 42S machines off everyone's favorite auction site (the US domain) for far less.
Both were excellent condition, very very close to perfect and included cases. One, the earlier design with flush display and ROM A, was $95.00. The second was the later design with recessed display and ROM C. It came with the manuals (almost perfect condition) and was $135. No boxes or packing material came with either, though.

So, really nice ones (and mine could each be in a museum) do come up in the $100-$150 range if people are patient. I can't imagine somebody paying $500 unless he is a very serious collector and it's new-in-sealed box. Or maybe if George Lucas *needs* one quick as a prop in one of his movies. It also does seem that the prices of these haven't really continued to climb over time. Like a lot of hobbies, the old users are (literally) dying off and there are fewer "young kids" entering -- they have all been raised on on graphing algebraic TI's in the USA and those or something similar elsewhere. Or are just more focused on PC-based tools.

But, hey give it a shot if you like. Keep in mind, at that asking price, you are certainly going to need some really clear well-lit high-res pictures of the whole unit, not just the serial number. I think those are a lot more important than a video.
04-30-2019, 05:13 PM
Um, the serial number shown starts with 2821S but the earliest recorded serial number on MoHPC for the 42S is 2832. My The Calculators of Hewlett Packard poster says the 42S was produced from 10/88 to 5/95. I can't seem to find my copy of A Guide to HP Handheld Calculators and Computers to verify the production dates. Could someone check their copy?

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
04-30-2019, 05:35 PM
What do you think? the MoHPC website is the holy grail? The serial number published does not match with the reality, not for the HP-41CV and HP-41CX and for some others like e.g. for the HP-42S. And… the S/N section is not updated since a loooooong time.

C = 1916
CV = 2103
CX = 2329

(04-30-2019 05:13 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Um, the serial number shown starts with 2821S but the earliest recorded serial number on MoHPC for the 42S is 2832. My The Calculators of Hewlett Packard poster says the 42S was produced from 10/88 to 5/95. I can't seem to find my copy of A Guide to HP Handheld Calculators and Computers to verify the production dates. Could someone check their copy?

~Mark
04-30-2019, 05:37 PM
(04-30-2019 05:13 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Um, the serial number shown starts with 2821S but the earliest recorded serial number on MoHPC for the 42S is 2832. My The Calculators of Hewlett Packard poster says the 42S was produced from 10/88 to 5/95. I can't seem to find my copy of A Guide to HP Handheld Calculators and Computers to verify the production dates. Could someone check their copy?

~Mark

Well, I have an ID02702...
So 5/95 is a little conservative: once guarantees and exchange units were a reality. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-30-2019, 05:47 PM
$500 for a brand new HP42 in SEALED Box?

If someone has a brand new HP-42S for sale in this NOS condition. I'm the buyer. I'm waiting for offers. Thanks!

(04-29-2019 06:06 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I agree with Bob, the asking price of $500 is much too high (even you make me a rich man when I could sell all my stuff for that high prices). $500 would be a areasonable price for a brand new HP42 in SEALED box.
04-30-2019, 05:49 PM
(04-30-2019 05:47 PM)CY-CL Wrote:  $500 for a brand new HP42 in SEALED Box?

If someone has a brand new HP-42S for sale in this NOS condition. I'm the buyer. I'm waiting for offers. Thanks!

(04-29-2019 06:06 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I agree with Bob, the asking price of $500 is much too high (even you make me a rich man when I could sell all my stuff for that high prices). $500 would be a areasonable price for a brand new HP42 in SEALED box.

I have a 27S in this condition.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-30-2019, 07:54 PM
I want to apologize for not getting back to you earlier. I over-did-it around the house early last week and managed to bang up one of my 65-year old knees.

I've ordered a camcorder which should be here by the weekend and I will get something up when it arrives

I appreciate your comments. In my defense, I would like to point out I did google something similar to "new hp42-s calculators" and got pretty much the same result as googling "used hp42-s calculators". I have to admit I've learned a lot about the 42-s calculator by reading your comments.

My primary objection to selling any valuable tech tool on E-Bay is I don't know who is buying it and what their objectives are. My understanding is terrorist and criminal organizations use E-Bay to obtain items such as calculators and I don't to contribute to that.

I have almost never used the calculator and probably never will, so it is one of my assets I've chosen to liquidate to fund a career change.

Anybody who feels $500 is too much is more than welcome to make a counter-offer.

Thanks for your time,
Larry Evilsizer
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Hi,

First, I want to apologize for offending anybody. That was never my attention.

During my "take it easy" period I spent a lot of time online googling the hp42-s and I now understand how special you view it. I also understand how my offer could have been seen as callous - again, I'm sorry - it was not intended to be so.

I also want to state I am withdrawing my sale offer.

My degree is in electrical engineering but I have spent my entire career in software development. One of my new career paths is robotics and it recently struck me how useful the calculator would be in an electronics lab. I've played around with the unit since it's reactivation and it's been a lot of fun, especially the programming. It's kinda like using my HP-21 back in college again. So, I think I'll hold on to my 30-year old baby.

Again, I'm sorry for getting off to a bad start, and who knows, in the future I may want to join your community.

Larry Evilsizer
05-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Larry,

I can't speak for everyone here, but it's unlikely anyone here was offended, so no need to apologize. I started some feedback just to point out that most folks that hang out here are pretty aware of market prices, and you're far more likely to find someone willing to pay over-market in almost every other marketplace.

So, no harm listing it too high, it has the side effect of making everyone with a nice 42S feel better about what they're worth Big Grin.

But your story has the best possible outcome - you've decided to keep it and get re-acquainted. Enjoy your 42s!

Here are a couple sites/posts you should find interesting:

https://archived.hpcalc.org/hp42s/

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/articles.cgi?read=266

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...ead=102091

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...D98mUT0ko5

--Bob Prosperi
05-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Bob,

Thanks for your note and suggestions.

Larry Evilsizer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)