Electrical Engineering - Solving System of Equations on Polar Form
04-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Electrical Engineering - Solving System of Equations on Polar Form
Hi friends, I'm studying electrical engineering, and I'm having a super hard time figuring out how to solve systems of equations using polar coordinates.

Attached is one example of how to solve using systems and determinants, but in both ways, it does not work on polar coordinates... Is there any other way to do that?

The basic idea is to identify the loops and then create each equation and the calculator will solve to find each current for me...

Thanks a lot, friends!

[Image: 3c9YQ1r]
[Image: 5K0pvLt]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2019, 01:49 PM
RE: Electrical Engineering - Solving System of Equations on Polar Form
You need to convert them from polar to rectangular.

For example using polar_point().
04-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Look up:
EE_Library and EE_ Analysis

EE_Analysis has 2x2 and 3x3 Complex Solver

and Mesh Analysis for 2 loop and 3 loop.

The Solver app does not use Complex Numbers.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11312.html
04-15-2019, 03:27 PM
I'm also an electrical engineering student. The best way to solve on HP is using the array system. Make the answers about the matrix. is solving by mesh?
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Hello

I'm not sure what you mean by
"Make the answers about the matrix. is solving by mesh? "

1- Did you find an answer to your problem by using Matrix?
2- Or are you still looking for a way to solve your problem
by using Matrix method?

Bernard
04-22-2022, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2022 05:09 PM by mhuth1776.)
I just joined this forum so sorry for the very late reply. I hope this helps people in the future. The easiest way to solve the resulting complex matrices after you have set up the equations is to enter an augmented matrix - so you will have an n x (n+1) matrix. I set my calculator to RPN (why else have an HP calculator 8-), complex format (a,b). This latter settings make copy paste from the stack work. Set your angle to degrees.

Now you can enter the matrix - <shift><5> gets the brackets on the input line. You can now enter the complex numbers for each column in either polar or rectangular format, whichever you have for each entry. Rectangular is entered in () as (R,X) for example. For the first row you can just enter a , between the columns and a new column is added automatically. Make sure you move outside the parentheses if you have just entered a rectangular format number. The polar values can just be entered as modulus <shift> <x> angle, without parentheses.

Once you have all the columns entered in the first row move your cursor to the ± symbol at the end and enter +. This creates a new row with the positions for next entries being obvious from the template. You can move to the next entry with the cursor keys, or by tapping the entry position, or by using a , as before.

Once the n x (n+1) matrix is completed, hit enter, and the matrix will be placed on the stack. Now hit the toolbox and under math->matrix find the RREF function and execute it. Voila, you have your answer in the +1 column, and the remainder of the matrix is I(n) (Identity).

It takes much longer to describe than to execute. I worked this out for my daughter who is taking circuits this year at the university.
05-03-2022, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2022 06:11 PM by BERNARD MICHAUD.)
Use Matrices to solve LINEAR SYSTEM EQUATIONS any size Real or Complex, on HP Prime.

1- MAKEMAT(0,2,3)>M1. (0 creates a matrix of zero's, 2 creates 2 Rows and 3 creates 3 columns)

2- Shift [Matrix 4]

3- Select M1 and enter the matrix below. X + Y = Z

3+4*i 5-6*i 8+15*i
4-2*i 7+8*i 12+18*i

4- Press the HOME key.

5- Type RREF(M1)

6- Your answer is now in the Home screen in column 3, in Rectangular form.

7- Press [Shift] [< X ] and your answer is again in column 3 but in Polar form.

This process can perform matrices for any size, Real or Complex and very useful in Engineering.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)