Replacement for HP97 card reader ribbon
04-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Replacement for HP97 card reader ribbon
Dear friends,

is there any proper replacement for the connecting ribbon of the HP97 card reader? If there is, where can be obtained?

Can you confirm if this ribbon does not power the card reader (just for data?)...I understand this is done directly to the motor by a couple of wires.

Thanks and kind regards!!

Ignacio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2019, 11:37 AM
RE: Replacement for HP97 card reader ribbon
(04-05-2019 09:27 AM)isanchez Wrote:  Dear friends,

is there any proper replacement for the connecting ribbon of the HP97 card reader? If there is, where can be obtained?

Can you confirm if this ribbon does not power the card reader (just for data?)...I understand this is done directly to the motor by a couple of wires.

Thanks and kind regards!!

Ignacio

Do a search for FFC (Flat Flex Cables) 2.54mm (0.1") 13 way. Outlets such a Digikey, Mouser Ebay etc. Not sure of length but around 75mm. If you cannot get 13 way, get larger and trim to size.

Yes the ribbon cable carries all of the card reader signals, including switches and power.

cheers

Tony
04-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Just as a side note, I have found that using one of the 97's mag cards cut to the width of the flat cable does a nice job helping to remove/insert the cable into the header with out damage. To remove the cable I simply push the card into the header and it releases the cable. Use the reverse procedure to insert the cable.
04-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your help:

got it from here: https://www.ebay.es/itm/FFC-A-B-16-Pin-2...2749.l2649

It is 16 pins, but it can be easily cut and downloaded to 13.

Very communicative and they can make cheaper SC from Germany

Just to close the issue.

Regards

Ignacio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)