april 2019. Some forum stats
04-01-2019, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2019 06:51 PM by pier4r.)
april 2019. Some forum stats
I was interested to see which topics were mostly viewed in the forum, since MyBB is pretty neat and offers several way of sorting forum sections. In general I always liked phpBB, MyBB (and vBullettin)

Also from the HP prime section we have a question that was viewed more than how to exit the vim editor (also vim >>>>>> emacs).
3 million views. Awesome, hopefully it won't attract spam.

From the General Forum I like that some threads are highly viewed as they are everygreen.
Example:
- Your first handheld
- What is the best BASIC pocket computer
- most common calculator in the forum?

There are also others that are great for reference and recreational problem solving.

In the not quite calculators but related the newRPL shows how people are interested in it, with half a million views on one early topic here. Without counting the 100k on the subsequent ones.

From not remotely hp calculators we have also a nice thread but with a lot less views than the others.
What was your first programming language?

Any other relatively visited thread (say, over 10k views) that you would like to mention? Aside from the fact that the entire forum is a great historical record of the community.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2019, 12:40 PM
RE: april 2019. Some forum stats
I am happy that this forum is continuing to be an interest to the public, quick nice to see! Here's to many, many, many more years of the MoHPC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2019, 10:07 PM
(04-01-2019 06:48 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Also from the HP prime section we have a question that was viewed more than how to exit the vim editor (also vim >>>>>> emacs).
3 million views. Awesome, hopefully it won't attract spam.

I'm pretty sure that was from a bot gone haywire. There is no logical reason why that would have been read an order of magnitude more than any other post.

Sadly, assuming traffic here is similar to traffic on my site, I suspect a lot of these "views" are actually search engine crawlers (like Google) refreshing their indexes. It would be more interesting to see view counts of actual humans if only MyBB would exclude known crawler user agents from the counts.
04-10-2019, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 11:03 AM by Thomas Okken.)
(04-08-2019 10:07 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Sadly, assuming traffic here is similar to traffic on my site, I suspect a lot of these "views" are actually search engine crawlers (like Google) refreshing their indexes. It would be more interesting to see view counts of actual humans if only MyBB would exclude known crawler user agents from the counts.

Right now, on the main forum index page, I see this:

Quote:Who's Online [Complete List]
215 users active in the past 15 minutes (7 members, 1 of whom is invisible, and 204 guests).
Bing, Google, Alexa Internet, Baidu, cjmcc, franco51, Jaco@cocoon-creations.com, Leviset, Sylvain Cote, Thomas Okken

MyBB clearly recognizes the search engine crawlers. Shouldn't that mean that it is also smart enough to exclude them from the view count? (Not a rhetorical question, I really don't know.)
04-12-2019, 12:14 PM
I don't think crawlers produce that much of traffic. I think mostly are humans. I open dozens of tabs and go through them. Then there is refresh and so on.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)