[VA] SRC#005- April, 1st Mean Minichallenge
04-13-2019, 11:33 AM
RE: [VA] SRC#005- April, 1st Mean Minichallenge
Hello Valentin,
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words. I will give Tier 2 of S&SMC#24 a try.

(04-13-2019 12:08 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  The trick of computing the Geometric Mean by adding logarithms and then a final exponential is perfectly Ok for strictly positive datasets, as in this case, and the precision lost amounts to but a few ulps in the worst case, so it's perfectly acceptable as well.

You're right it works only for positive data sets. I didn't notice this.

Best regards
Bernd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2019, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 06:54 AM by Mike (Austria).)
Thanks Valentin for this inspiring minichallenge. I particularly enjoy math riddles when they involve little-known facts about well-known mathematics. This one definitely fits this description particularly well - the fact that the various means are discrete members of a continuous family had escaped my attention so far (for decades - embarrassingly enough :-) ).

Since there have been no solutions for RPL, let me share my take on this. It should work for any version of RPL starting with the HP48G(X).

1. RPL function GM for the Generalized Mean function \(G_p(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^p)^{1/p}\).

Code:
«
  @  {list} real  →  real
  @      {x_i} p  →  gm(x,p)

OVER SIZE → x p n     @ n is size(x)
  «
    x                   @ prepare x on stack
    IF p 0 == THEN      @ geometric mean
      ΠLIST             @ prod(x_i)
      n                 @ prepare exponent on stack
    ELSE                @ general case
      p ^ ΣLIST n /     @ sum(x_i^p) / n
      p
    END
    XROOT               @ % ^(1/p) or % ^(1/n)
  »
»
'GM' STO
Size: 106.5 bytes.
Exponent \(p = k-2\)
Usage: put list {\(x_i\)} and exponent \(p\) on stack, invoke GM.
I like the terseness of this function.

2. Test: four standard means

Code:
{ 4 1 20.19 } 'X' STO       @ save list
X -1 GM ->  2.30852787042   @ harmonic
X  0 GM ->  4.32247115133   @ geometric
X  1 GM ->  8.39666666667   @ arithmetic
X  2 GM -> 11.8972840038    @ quadratic

3. Solving for \(k=p+2\) such that \(G_p(x_i)=\pi\)

Auxiliary function G: for list {\(x_i\)} and exponent \(p\) in global variables X and P, return GM(x,p)-\(\pi\)

Rationale: the HP48 solver expects all parameters and the unknown to be solved for (\(p\) in this case) in global variables.

Code:
« X P GM π - »
'G' STO

Find zero of G
Code:
'G' RCL   @ recall G to stack
'P'       @ variable to solve for
0         @ initial guess
ROOT      @ solve
2 +       @ p -> k
-> 1.55425243274

4. Bonus: Code for Generalized f-Mean \(G_f(x)=f^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\right)\)

A further step in generalizing the mean is by replacing the \(p\)-th power of \(x_i\) by applying an arbitrary continuous strictly monotonic function and taking its inverse after computing the sum and dividing by \(n\). Not very surprising, the geometric mean results from using \(f(x)={\rm ln}(x)\) the natural logarithm. Btw, the requirement that all \(x_i\) be positive is actually not a restriction because the geometric mean is defined for positive arguments only in the first place.

Since in general the inverse of \(f\) cannot be assumed to be known analytically, we first define an auxiliary function FINV, which, given \(f, y\), and an estimate \(e\), will return an approximation of \(x=f^{-1}(y)\) by numerically solving \(f(x)=y\) for the unknown \(x\).

Code:
«
  @ function real real → real
  @ f y estimate → x such that f(x)=y

→ f y e
  «
    « tX f EVAL y - »   @ find zero of this function
    'tX'                @ temporary global variable to solve for
    e                   @ initial estimate
    ROOT
    { tX } PURGE        @ eliminate tX
  »
»
'FINV' STO

This is essentially the inverse function solver on page 2-54 of the HP48G Advanced User's Manual (AUM). I had initially hoped to use a compiled local variable (this is a local variable whose name starts with a backarrow ←) because the AUM promises that this can be used whenever a called function expects a global variable - but ROOT does not let me do this, thus the clumsy { tX } PURGE at the end.

With this complexity hidden away, it becomes straightforward to implement the generalized \(f\)-Mean function GFM:

Code:
«
  @  {list} function  →  real
  @          {x_i} f  →  gfm(x,f)

OVER SIZE → x f n     @ n is size(x)
  «
    f                   @ prepare f: will be used by FINV
    x f EVAL            @ f(x)
    ΣLIST n /           @ sum(f(x_i)) / n
    x 1 GET             @ first element as initial guess
                        @ now on stack: f sum(%)/n e
    FINV                @ f^(-1)
  »
»
'GFM' STO

Why pick one of the original list elements to estimate the solution: we make no assumptions about the domain of \(f\). As long as the user supplies a list of valid elements, any of them is suitable as the starting point for the ROOT solver of the HP48, which is quite robust. This is cheaper than e.g. taking the arithmetic mean as an estimate or bracketing the solution by searching the minimum and maximum of {\(x_i\)}.

Examples:
Code:
X « INV » GFM -> 2.30852787043
X « LN » GFM  -> 4.32247115132
X « » GFM     -> 8.39666666667   @ empty program = identity function
X « SQ » GFM  -> 11.8972840038
X « EXP » GFM -> 19.091387809    @ smooth maximum approximation

Up to the occasional 1ULP numerical error, above results are reproduced. The last example is closely related to the LogSumExp function, which is one of the Smooth Maximum Approximations used in optimization problems.

I hope all this makes sense. Setting up these functions was fun - thanks for giving me an excuse to learn and play with stuff i'd otherwise never have looked at again. Despite RPL's deficiencies (such as handling many trivial cases incorrectly), I like the expressive power and abstraction / object orientation of this language.

P.S. This is my first post in the new forum. While I stumbled upon a nice description how to include math, I could not find a way to use a [pre] tag. So I had to reluctantly adorn my programs with code tags lest all formatting be lost. I'd gladly replace these by a better solution.
04-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Addendum: for stack-only purists, here comes a 63.5 bytes two-liner implementation GMS which does the same as above GM in slightly less time:
Code:
« DUP { DUP2 ^ ΣLIST ROT SIZE / SWAP }
  { DROP DUP ΠLIST SWAP SIZE } IFTE XROOT »
Now this looks like a candidate for Wlodek's one minute marvels collection, doesn't it?
04-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Hi, Mike:

(04-15-2019 09:29 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Thanks Valentin for this inspiring minichallenge. I particularly enjoy math riddles when they involve little-known facts about well-known mathematics. This one definitely fits this description particularly well - the fact that the various means are discrete members of a continuous family had escaped my attention so far (for decades - embarrassingly enough :-) ).

You're welcome, thanks to you for your interest and awesome posts on this minichallenge. And I agree with you, I'm also enthralled when I find an interesting piece of mathematics that happens to be new to me, so my goal has always been to post the kind of articles and challenges that I myself would like to read and solve.

Quote:Since there have been no solutions for RPL, let me share my take on this. It should work for any version of RPL starting with the HP48G(X).

Great ! I always welcome RPL solutions, they tend to be a little on the cryptic side but yours qualifies as an exception, pretty clear code made even clearer by your generous assortment of comments.

Quote:I like the terseness of this function.

Terse it is, and the results are of course correct.

Quote:A further step in generalizing the mean is by replacing the \(p\)-th power of \(x_i\) by applying an arbitrary continuous strictly monotonic function and taking its inverse after computing the sum and dividing by \(n\).

Yes, it's an interesting way of generalizing it further. Nice addition to the subject matter.

Quote:Why pick one of the original list elements to estimate the solution: we make no assumptions about the domain of \(f\). [...] This is cheaper than e.g. taking the arithmetic mean as an estimate or bracketing the solution by searching the minimum and maximum of {\(x_i\)}.

Cheaper or not, I would've used the minimum/maximum as they're immediately available without search using the available matrix functions and they certainly bracket the solution perfectly. Not to say that your method isn't perfectly adequate, of course.

Quote:I hope all this makes sense. Setting up these functions was fun - thanks for giving me an excuse to learn and play with stuff i'd otherwise never have looked at again. Despite RPL's deficiencies (such as handling many trivial cases incorrectly), I like the expressive power and abstraction / object orientation of this language.

I'm glad you enjoyed it all and thanks again for your extensive, very interesting post (from which I also learned interesting things) and for your time, much appreciated. Oh, and welcome to the new forum, for a very first post you did really great ! ... Smile

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2019, 02:02 PM
(04-16-2019 07:23 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Addendum: for stack-only purists, here comes a 63.5 bytes two-liner implementation GMS which does the same as above GM in slightly less time:
Code:
Now this looks like a candidate for Wlodek's one minute marvels collection, doesn't it?

I kinda miss to understand the "two-liner" thing.
04-24-2019, 06:54 PM
(04-22-2019 02:02 PM)RMollov Wrote:  
(04-16-2019 07:23 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  Addendum: for stack-only purists, here comes a 63.5 bytes two-liner implementation GMS which does the same as above GM in slightly less time:
Code:

I kinda miss to understand the "two-liner" thing.

I was just trying to be silly by applying a meaningless metric to a piece of free-from code. No harm meant! Smile
04-24-2019, 08:54 PM
Hi Valentin,

(04-21-2019 08:38 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  You're welcome, thanks to you for your interest and awesome posts on this minichallenge. And I agree with you, I'm also enthralled when I find an interesting piece of mathematics that happens to be new to me, so my goal has always been to post the kind of articles and challenges that I myself would like to read and solve.
[...]
I'm glad you enjoyed it all and thanks again for your extensive, very interesting post (from which I also learned interesting things) and for your time, much appreciated. Oh, and welcome to the new forum, for a very first post you did really great!

Wow, thanks for your appreciation!

Quote:
Quote:Why pick one of the original list elements to estimate the solution: we make no assumptions about the domain of \(f\). [...] This is cheaper than e.g. taking the arithmetic mean as an estimate or bracketing the solution by searching the minimum and maximum of {\(x_i\)}.

Cheaper or not, I would've used the minimum/maximum as they're immediately available without search using the available matrix functions and they certainly bracket the solution perfectly. [...]

OK. Replacing in GFM the
Code:
x 1 GET
section by
Code:
x « MIN » STREAM
x « MAX » STREAM
2 →LIST
supplies the required brackets to FINV, no other changes needed. This is all I came up with for the HP48GX. It seems, however, you have something more advanced in mind.

BTW, I unsystematically benchmarked both versions (GFM = original version, GFBM = bracketing version), using Emu48 on Android (authentic speed) to compute the generalized \(exp\) mean of a 100 element uniform random list 'V100':
Code:
1 RDZ             @ seed RAND
1 100 START
RAND
NEXT              @ 100 RANDs on stack
100 →LIST         @ convert to list
'V100' STO
Using an instrumented function counting the number of calls
Code:
0 'C' STO
V100
« 1 'C' STO+ EXP »
GFM   @ or GFBM respectively
shows indeed that bracketing reduces the number of function calls from 11 (12 with a different seed) to 8.

On the other hand, timing the original EXP function using an anonymous timing routine from hpcalc,
Code:
V100
« EXP »
« GFM »  @ or GFBM
XTGS
yields 3.055_s for GFM and 4.439_s for GFBM. Well, probably not too bad a trade of speed for reliability.

Best wishes, Mike
04-25-2019, 12:05 PM
(04-24-2019 06:54 PM)Mike (Austria) Wrote:  I was just trying to be silly by applying a meaningless metric to a piece of free-from code. No harm meant! Smile
Thanks Mike, I really got puzzled by the thing, interesting link - now it makes sense (in a way) Smile

Cheers,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)