Question regarding new SST down arrow function ...
03-27-2019, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 01:13 PM by zeno333.)
Question regarding new SST down arrow function ...
In the new 2.1 Free42, the notes mention the SST "down arror" function...I do not see that selection in the Catalogue anywhere, where is it found?..The other 2 new SST ones are there, but not the SSD with the down arrow...Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2019, 01:25 PM
RE: Question regarding new SST down arrow function ...
Quote:Added SST↓ (Step Into), which is just an alias for SST. This allows creating a row in the CUSTOM menu with SST↓, SST→, and SST↑, like in typical high-level language debuggers.

It's a different way of spelling SST, just like RDN is a different way of spelling R↓.
The reason for adding that alias is right there in the release note.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2019, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 01:31 PM by zeno333.)
(03-27-2019 01:25 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
Quote:Added SST↓ (Step Into), which is just an alias for SST. This allows creating a row in the CUSTOM menu with SST↓, SST→, and SST↑, like in typical high-level language debuggers.

It's a different way of spelling SST, just like RDN is a different way of spelling R↓.
The reason for adding that alias is right there in the release note.

Yes but I can not find the function selection anywhere...How does one select SST down arrow?? What is it called in the "function" menu options? How does one select "SST down arrow"? Where does one find that new alias?
03-27-2019, 01:44 PM
"SST↓" is just an alias (meaning another way of saying the same thing as) for the normal SST. So there is no new SST↓ function, it is just SST. The down-arrow is added in the alias to clarify the distinction between the old (traditional) SST and the new Step-Out and Step-Over functions.

--Bob Prosperi
03-27-2019, 01:46 PM
It is an alias. A different name for an existing function. It doesn't have a separate entry in the FCN menu, just as you don't have separate entries for, say, N! and FACT.
Since it's just an alias for SST, you just press the same key you always do for SST. The only reason for this alias is that you can put Step Into, Step Over, and Step Out in the CUSTOM menu side by side, with easy to recognize menu labels. Which is what I tried to hint at in the release note.
03-27-2019, 01:48 PM
(03-27-2019 01:44 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  "SST↓" is just an alias (meaning another way of saying the same thing as) for the normal SST. So there is no new SST↓ function, it is just SST. The down-arrow is added in the alias to clarify the distinction between the old (traditional) SST and the new Step-Out and Step-Over functions.

So the CUSTOM menue that is mentioned, would just show SST and not SST down arrow?...It speaks of SST down arrow though regarding the custom mention possibility...bit confused...Seems to imply there would be a possible function alias in the CUSTOM menus, but your saying that is not the case,m that it would be just saying SST???
03-27-2019, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 01:55 PM by zeno333.)
(03-27-2019 01:46 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  It is an alias. A different name for an existing function. It doesn't have a separate entry in the FCN menu, just as you don't have separate entries for, say, N! and FACT.
Since it's just an alias for SST, you just press the same key you always do for SST. The only reason for this alias is that you can put Step Into, Step Over, and Step Out in the CUSTOM menu side by side, with easy to recognize menu labels. Which is what I tried to hint at in the release note.

Yes, but that is what I can not find, how does one get to that "menu label", that you speak of?....What menu label are you referring to??...Is it SST or something else?....I see no menu label other than SST...What new menu label are you referring to??? Is this alias anywhere to be selected in any way?...I do not see this 'alias" anywhere...Yes, I see SST, but that is all?....When you refer to the 'alias", what exactly is being referred to?....
03-27-2019, 01:52 PM
I give up.
03-27-2019, 01:59 PM
(03-27-2019 01:52 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I give up.

When you say..."This allows creating a row in the CUSTOM menu with SST↓, SST→, and SST↑,". what exactly will the custom menu look like?...Will it show SST, SST→, and SST↑?...I see no other options than the menu showing just SST for SST↓...That is my question...
03-27-2019, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 02:12 PM by zeno333.)
(03-27-2019 01:52 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  
(03-27-2019 01:46 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  It is an alias. A different name for an existing function. It doesn't have a separate entry in the FCN menu, just as you don't have separate entries for, say, N! and FACT.

Yes, but that is what I can not find, how does one get to that "menu label", that you speak of?....What menu label are you referring to??...Is it SST or something else?....I see no menu label other than SST...What new menu label are you referring to??? Is this alias anywhere to be selected in any way?...I do not see this 'alias" anywhere...Yes, I see SST, but that is all?....When you refer to the 'alias", what exactly is being referred to?....

What easy to recognize menu label are you referring to?....I see only 2 of them, I only see a label for SST, I see no label for SST with a down arrow?...what easy recognised label are you refering to???
03-27-2019, 02:07 PM
If there is only the SST function labeled in the FNC listing, then what is the alias that you are referring to?...If there is no way to see it, what is it and where is it?...
03-27-2019, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 02:29 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
(03-27-2019 01:52 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I give up.

zeno333 may be insisting a bit too much on this topic with numerous posts, but in fact I think he has a valid point.

As far as I understand the intent of SST↓, it is to be able to show the SST command in the CUSTOM menu with a down arrow to go visually with the new SST→, and SST↑ commands.
However looking to the source code, SST↓ seems to be only defined in the hp41_synonyms table where you have aliases enabling to import text files with the HP41 command names.

I don’t see how this can be used to populate the CUSTOM menu with the SST↓ alias, but I may be missing something obvious here.

EDIT: yes, I was missing the obvious... you just need to spell it to add SST↓ in the CUSTOM menu by going to Alpha mode after Shift Assign ...
03-27-2019, 02:28 PM
[Shift] [1] [ENTER] [LN] [1/x] [LN] [1/x] [LN] [√x] [▼] [1/x] [√x] [ENTER] [Σ+]
03-27-2019, 02:35 PM
(03-27-2019 02:28 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  [Shift] [1] [ENTER] [LN] [1/x] [LN] [1/x] [LN] [√x] [▼] [1/x] [√x] [ENTER] [Σ+]

Thanks...It would have been much easier to tell us the "alias" needs to be spelled out in that way to assign to a custom menu..That would have avoided all my questions and my being confused etc..
03-27-2019, 02:47 PM
You didn't know about spelling out names? And you're blaming me for that? SMH
03-28-2019, 07:44 AM
(03-27-2019 02:47 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  You didn't know about spelling out names? And you're blaming me for that? SMH

And now for the usual plea on Swissmicros' forum to update the firmware ASAP...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
03-31-2019, 02:24 AM
(03-27-2019 02:47 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  You didn't know about spelling out names? And you're blaming me for that? SMH

To be fair, the concept of typing out commands is unusual for someone who knows the 42S, but not the 41. Are there any native 42S commands that aren't in 《CATALOG》《FCN》that must be typed out (except for 41 compatibility ones?)
03-31-2019, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 01:29 PM by Thomas Okken.)
(03-31-2019 02:24 AM)budmur Wrote:  

To be fair, the concept of typing out commands is unusual for someone who knows the 42S, but not the 41. Are there any native 42S commands that aren't in 《CATALOG》《FCN》that must be typed out (except for 41 compatibility ones?)

Fair enough, good point. I guess it wouldn't hurt to clarify that somewhere.
(UPDATE: New FAQ entry.)

But the answer to your question is yes: [MIN], [MAX], and [FIND]. (The brackets are not meant to indicate that these are keystrokes, as per the usual convention; rather, they are part of the command names.) They are not just missing from the FCN catalog but from the manual as well. Big Grin

N.B. The reason that SST↓ is not in the FCN catalog is that it isn't a function in its own right, but merely an alternate spelling of SST, and the FCN catalog only lists functions by their primary spellings. One could argue that an exception should be made in this case, but because of the way the FCN catalog is built, that is not as easy as one might think. Not to mention inelegant, but that's just me, I guess.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)