emu48 now for android-OS
03-02-2019, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2022 02:23 PM by compsystems.)
emu48 now for android-OS
Hello, many thanks to Régis Cosnier for emu48 for Android

For a long time we wait for the port of emu48 for android-os, since droid48 (has more than a million downloads) is not based on emu48 and the droid48 is not fully developed, while emu48 of Christoph Gießelink has been developing for 24 years. Just missing a web version of emu48

Emu48 PC version 1.64 (1997..2021]

https://hp.giesselink.com/emu48.htm

Emu48 Android-OS version 2.5 [2022)

https://github.com/dgis/emu48android
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: emu48 now for android-OS
Awesome! Droid48 never really worked for me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2019, 05:54 PM
WOW!

What a great news! Really thanks to to author and the one that ported it to Android!

Just a minor issue, on Android 7.1 the calculator does not return after selecting settings in the menu.

Perhaps we can expect emu71 and emu42? Lets cross our fingers!

Thanks again!

Cheers

JL
03-02-2019, 07:23 PM
...only for Android 5 or higher... Sad

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50
03-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Impressive, thanks !
But super slow... Compared to go48/go49 which are super fast... Any plan for optimisation ?

And above all, any plan for emu42 port ? That would be awesome, given the fact that go27s/go17bii don't allow import of formulas, whereas emu42 does !
03-03-2019, 05:57 PM
@Compsystems
¡Muchas gracias Jaime por la información!
Thanks for sharing.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
03-04-2019, 06:23 PM
I'll have to try out Emu48. At first glance, it looks quite impressive.

... and I'm saying this as the author of the companion app to Droid48 called Droid48 Reader (no, I didn't write Droid48 itself).
03-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Until now I found only already known bugs (e.g. pixel shift in the display). And we need some layouts that are more suited for the aspect ratio of common phones. I could do the graphics, but the KML description looks rather cumbersome to edit. Are there any good tutorials and tools?
03-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Are you the author of emu42 and emu48? Do you do the uploads to hpcalc.org?
03-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Awesome, can I use rom files used in Windows in this version? I have some Rom cards I would love to run on my phone and tablet.
03-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Régis and I have been in regular email contact, with me doing a lot of testing of Emu48 for Android, and he already has a version 1.1 released (which I will probably post to my site later today, but it's already available in Google Play) that fixes a number of issues from 1.0, and since then he's also finally tracked down and fixed one of the screen corruption bugs (noticeable when scrolling text up) that has affected the 80-line screen (49g+/50g) emulation since the beginning of Emu48+. I'll be sure to include that in the next release of Emu48+, which I will release after Emu48 is next updated.

I am also working a high-resolution version of my "Eric's Real 50g" skin that is optimized for the highest resolution phones of today, with a better aspect ratio and a resolution of 1440x2700. I hope to have that done by the end of this week, as the emulator looks a lot nicer with that than my existing "Large" size skins, which are only about 437x940 in the most appropriate arrangement. I'm doing all testing on a Galaxy S7, but if someone with an S8/S9 or S10 wants to test it over the next few days to verify it works well on those screen sizes, please email me and I'll send you a copy to test.

Sadly there are no good tutorials or tools for editing KML files, but Christoph's documentation (https://www.hpcalc.org/details/3654) covers everything you need to know. I have some code that I've written that helps me automate some of the calculations for offsets of the buttons to speed up the development of new KML scripts, but nothing is in publicly-usable form.
03-07-2019, 03:05 AM
(03-03-2019 07:57 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Impressive, thanks !
But super slow... Compared to go48/go49 which are super fast... Any plan for optimisation ?

And above all, any plan for emu42 port ? That would be awesome, given the fact that go27s/go17bii don't allow import of formulas, whereas emu42 does !

I find it interesting that you call it super slow. It is significantly faster than the real calculator, so if you find go48/go49 to be faster, perhaps he has a more efficient implementation of the emulator, but Emu48 is hardly slow by any means. Maybe you have inadvertently set it to Authentic Calculator Speed?

I did some quick benchmarks, and comparing Emu48 for Windows on my PC (an Intel Core i7-4790K at 4 GHz, which despite being some years old still has very competitive single core performance) with Emu48 for Android on my phone (a three-year-old Galaxy S7 with a Snapdragon 820 chip), I found my PC was only twice as fast as my phone, meaning the Android port seems to have no significant slowdown compared to the PC version. Honestly I expected the phone to be even slower here!
03-07-2019, 07:49 AM
(03-07-2019 03:05 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(03-03-2019 07:57 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Impressive, thanks !

I find it interesting that you call it super slow. It is significantly faster than the real calculator, so if you find go48/go49 to be faster, perhaps he has a more efficient implementation of the emulator, but Emu48 is hardly slow by any means. Maybe you have inadvertently set it to Authentic Calculator Speed?

I did some quick benchmarks, and comparing Emu48 for Windows on my PC (an Intel Core i7-4790K at 4 GHz, which despite being some years old still has very competitive single core performance) with Emu48 for Android on my phone (a three-year-old Galaxy S7 with a Snapdragon 820 chip), I found my PC was only twice as fast as my phone, meaning the Android port seems to have no significant slowdown compared to the PC version. Honestly I expected the phone to be even slower here!

I tested it on my Samsung Galaxy s8 which is quite a fast phone.

Actually it is sometimes super slow and sometimes super fast (no, I haven't set the authentic calculator speed toggle). It seems that when the state has been saved and reloaded, the calculator is fast, but when you start a new doc, it is slow. Very strange.

Actually this is for the 48SX (which I had as a student). The 50G seems to be always fast. Any idea ?

Also, I would like:
-The LCD to be identical to the original. Here it seems that some rounding happens in the zooming which makes the LCD a bit blur...
-Haptic feedback on keys.

Thanks and cheers
03-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Many thanks on the excellent Androidisation of emu48.

For the first time a functioning emulator for 40G on Android!

Brilliant!
03-07-2019, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2019 10:58 PM by compsystems.)
(03-04-2019 08:49 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Sadly there are no good tutorials or tools for editing KML files, but Christoph's documentation (https://www.hpcalc.org/details/3654) covers everything you need to know. I have some code that I've written that helps me automate some of the calculations for offsets of the buttons to speed up the development of new KML scripts, but nothing is in publicly-usable form.

Enthusiasts are required to develop a skin editor, in the beginning you must load an image and when you mark a rectangle on a button, it must generate a text file, where it shows the coordinates and area of the button.

Support software
https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi...33963.html

[Image: 7-300x243.png]
03-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Finally took it for a spin today. Overall, it is great and I really like it.

However, I do have some feedback for the app. Would that feedback be better posted here, via the email listed on the Android App Store, or via the web form on the the web site?
03-25-2019, 09:25 AM
(03-02-2019 04:27 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello, many thanks to Régis Cosnier for emu48 for Android
Installed on an Honor 7x (Android 8).
Works nicely as long as i don't try to open a state file from Emu48 for Windows.
In this case the emulator hangs and i have to kill it.
It happens regardless the model emulated
03-27-2019, 05:16 PM
(03-25-2019 09:25 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 04:27 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello, many thanks to Régis Cosnier for emu48 for Android
Installed on an Honor 7x (Android 8).
Works nicely as long as i don't try to open a state file from Emu48 for Windows.
In this case the emulator hangs and i have to kill it.
It happens regardless the model emulated

I recognized the same problem and meanwhile I think I know why. I fetched a state file from Andriod Emu48 1.2 and loaded this file into Emu48 v1.61 and debugged the loading process. The problem seem to be at

Code:

.\app\src\main\cpp\win32-layer.h

#ifndef __OBJC__
typedef signed char BOOL;   // deliberately same type as defined in objc
#endif

on MS-Windows BOOL is a 4 byte definition

Code:

typedef int BOOL;

and so the Chipset structure in the state file is wrong.
03-31-2019, 10:26 AM
Nice work!

Look : https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

Imagine Saturn emu in JS like that, it rocks!
04-01-2019, 01:17 PM
(03-27-2019 05:16 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  and so the Chipset structure in the state file is wrong.
So, is there any workaround?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)