Massive pile of HP-9100 programs and docs
02-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Massive pile of HP-9100 programs and docs
At HHC 2017, I agreed, perhaps foolishly, to scan a massive pile of HP-9100 documentation. Perhaps Gene had let it be known that I was a soft touch for scanning old documents.

Anyway, I finished this morning. I scanned everything except a perfect bound 9100 owner's manual that I couldn't bear to razor apart. Still trying to come up with a non-destructive way to scan that.

But there's LOTS of other stuff-- 185MB of OCR'd PDF documents. Now, I did the best I could, but some scans will be marginal because, you know, the yellowed, crispy paper dates from the 1960s. Still, I'd say upwards of 95% of the scans are completely readable and usable.

Some programs and documents are incomplete because, well, they were incomplete when I got them. But I scanned everything, and it's all here for those who own and play with 9100s or just want a more complete old HP document collection.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esux5chthhbts1...s.zip?dl=0
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
RE: Massive pile of HP-9100 programs and docs
(02-07-2019 05:10 PM)dramsey Wrote:  At HHC 2017, I agreed, perhaps foolishly, to scan a massive pile of HP-9100 documentation. Perhaps Gene had let it be known that I was a soft touch for scanning old documents.

Anyway, I finished this morning....

Thanks very Dave, a huge job nicely done!

A potential issue for some users is several (6-10?) documents include the "<" and/or ">" characters in the filename, and this is not an allowable filename character in many systems (e.g. Windows) as they could be interpreted as redirection symbols. The old version of Winzip I use complained about them, but I'd guess newer versions are less sensitive. I'm not sure exactly which other systems can and cannot handle them, but it's probably best to change them so all files can be used anywhere. It appears there is no problem on MacOS Smile

--Bob Prosperi
02-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Well, thank you very much for all this work. From a very cursory and quick view, scans look of very high quality, and there's a great amount of material.
Thanks again for preserving all of this.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Thanks a lot!

Added to a future update of the torrent here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html , with link to this topic.

PS: dropbox had several connection errors on my side, the good wget helped. Did anyone else encounter similar problems?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
02-07-2019, 11:28 PM
(02-07-2019 05:10 PM)dramsey Wrote:  At HHC 2017, I agreed, perhaps foolishly, to scan a massive pile of HP-9100 documentation. Perhaps Gene had let it be known that I was a soft touch for scanning old documents.

Gene: Moi' ? :-) ty
02-08-2019, 04:59 AM
(02-07-2019 07:33 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  A potential issue for some users is several (6-10?) documents include the "<" and/or ">" characters in the filename, and this is not an allowable filename character in many systems (e.g. Windows) as they could be interpreted as redirection symbols.

Really? I'll have to check that. I'll re-upload a fixed zip in the next day or so.
02-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Great work, much appreciated!

No problem here with Dropbox download or unzipping (with 7-Zip) into a Windows 7 environment. "Forbidden" symbols seemed to render with "_" .

I was recently in touch with Ivar Larson (Marketing/Application Engineer) who wrote the introduction to the 9100A Program Library. He had a few health issues over the summer but is now feeling better and sounds good.

Thanks again!

Jack
http://www.computerarium.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)