Quiz!
05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Quiz!
When Bill Hewlett and David Packard were building the HP corp in that Palo Alto garage, what handhelds were they using?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 08:36 PM
RE: Quiz!
A hammer and a screwdriver.

Dave
05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I guess that only the big corporations could afford a "computer" in the 30's and 40's, meaning IBM machines, so my guess is: the slide ruler.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-03-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 09:08 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(05-03-2014 08:32 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  When Bill Hewlett and David Packard were building the HP corp in that Palo Alto garage, what handhelds were they using?

We understand that you want to get rid of that Junior before member ASAP, but... could you please limit the number of daily questions? Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I have to agree with Dave and jebum. Hand tools, a drill press and a slide rule. In fact you can even see the slide rule on the right side of the third photo on the MoHPC "The HP Garage" site at:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/garage/garage.htm

Since Massimo Gnerucci posted his opinion, I'll post mine. John, I am enjoying your posts (and most posts by other people here) because they are engaging, they make me think and cause me to research deeper into areas I may not have looked at otherwise.
Post away, John. Post away.
05-03-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm with Massimo. I wanted to post something about it, but I complained about the last frenzy already and this is not something personal. Some people don't realise that this forum fills slowly because it's a quality forum, you don't throw one liner threads just because you feel like it. That buries good/interesting threads, a lot of them slip under the radar unanswered. One every once in a while maybe it's OK, but 5-8, come on... I suggested enforcing a daily limit: in other forums multiple consecutive "unnecessary threads" are not tolerated, because common sense.

I'm not interested in a forum with blocks of threads made by bored people looking for conversation that don't bother with reading what's already posted. That kills it.
05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
(05-03-2014 10:23 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  In fact you can even see the slide rule on the right side of the third photo on the MoHPC "The HP Garage" site at:

It seems to be a PICKETT & ECKEL slide rule of the 40's, maybe the model 2
05-04-2014, 01:01 PM
(05-04-2014 12:54 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 10:23 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  In fact you can even see the slide rule on the right side of the third photo on the MoHPC "The HP Garage" site at:

It seems to be a PICKETT & ECKEL slide rule of the 40's, maybe the model 2

There's another slide rule in the second-last picture. I don't know what model is.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)