Linux and HP Prime
01-26-2019, 09:57 PM
RE: Linux and HP Prime
I want to mention that I'm very interested in running the VC and the connectivity kit on Linux, because it is my work OS. I usually only install final releases, though, no beta versions, and hope a stable version will be out some day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Attempts to move toward more GNU/Linux support would certainly be appreciated, and I'd be willing to play around with a test build a little bit. I too overlooked this news, probably in part because I'm generally terrible about overlooking things despite my best efforts anyway Smile, but also because I've been so busy with other projects that I tend to skim through things on this forum very quickly. But maybe it's also just that apparently there wasn't a whole lot of noise about the fact that there was a Linux build. To be fair, the post linked above does mention “Linux” in the title, but it also looks so much like the standard-fare general-platform beta software threads I often see that I just didn't happen to notice the addition.
03-26-2019, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2019 08:11 PM by Lode.)
(01-24-2019 01:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Welllllll.... the linux tech preview I put out last Nov got about 3 people sending in any comments about it. Nobody seemed to want it.

Hi,

It's amazing that you put it out! If this is the HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator preview for Linux, there is unfortunately an issue with it, and it's the fault of AppImage which was supposed to work everywhere, but guess what, they made a bug.

This issue here prevents me from running it:
https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate/issues/85

And they say the solution should be to recreate it with the latest AppImage version as far as I understand. Something about the way some package related to fonts (libfontconfig) is included.

Is it an option to fix this?

Also, can this virtual calculator communicate to a real one with USB in Linux?

Thanks Smile
03-28-2019, 08:38 AM
(03-26-2019 07:58 PM)Lode Wrote:  Also, can this virtual calculator communicate to a real one with USB in Linux?

That's the job of the ConnKit, not the Virtual Prime. The Virtual Prime and a real, physical Prime can both communicate with the ConnKit and you can transfer data between them that way.
03-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Hello,

I also overlooked the linux tech preview.
Now I downloaded the Appimage but I can not start it, it says that the 60 days trial period is gone...

Is it possible to reactivate it somehow so that I can test it?
I also use only linux and every time I need the virtual calculator to save a screenshot or the CnnKit I have to switch to a windows machine.
By the way are there plans to have a linux Appimage for the ConnKit ?

Thank you very much for the answer and for the effort done for the linux users

reto
02-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Running the Prime Connectivity Kit on Linux is not impossible.
I followed, unsuccessfully, the instructions for installing libhpcalcs.
With the installation of libhidapi-hidraw0 / libhidapi-libusb0 the HPPCK started to connect to my Prime.

As a reference I'm running:

Ubuntu! 8.04.4 LTS
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1); with the variable WINEARCH = win32 and set to "Windows 7"
dotnet40 (winetricks)
vcrun2015 (winetricks)
wine-mono-4.9.4

HP Connectivity Kit (2020 1 16)
Prime hardware version C / firmware 2020 01 16

/etc/udev/rules.d/82-hp-prime.rules file with:

# HP Prime Calculator
SUBSYSTEM == "usb", ATTRS {idVendor} == "03f0", ATTRS {idProduct} == "1541", MODE = "0664"
KERNEL == "hidraw *", ATTRS {idVendor} == "03f0", ATTRS {idProduct} == "1541", MODE = "0664"

according to the output (prime connected):

~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 012: ID 03f0: 1541 Hewlett-Packard

It is important that the Linux and Wine environments share the same TEMP directory.
In my case I resolved with:
ln -s / tmp ~ / temp

I don't know if there is a smarter way to do this or if all these libraries are really needed.

Even with a lot of instabilities and without some features, I'm not having any problems transferring content.
The ~ $ dmesg output reports some I / 0 errors, so I don't exclude any danger of damage to the calculator in these operations!
There must be a possibility to make adjustments, but I believe they are beyond my abilities.

Gianfranco

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-25-2020, 03:13 AM
(01-24-2019 01:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Welllllll.... the linux tech preview I put out last Nov got about 3 people sending in any comments about it. Nobody seemed to want it.

Took us a while to find it. Thank you! Having some issue with it tho.
Cory
04-02-2020, 03:06 PM
(02-24-2020 09:46 PM)gfbci Wrote:  Running the Prime Connectivity Kit on Linux is not impossible.
I followed, unsuccessfully, the instructions for installing libhpcalcs.
With the installation of libhidapi-hidraw0 / libhidapi-libusb0 the HPPCK started to connect to my Prime.

As a reference I'm running:

Ubuntu! 8.04.4 LTS
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1); with the variable WINEARCH = win32 and set to "Windows 7"
dotnet40 (winetricks)
vcrun2015 (winetricks)
wine-mono-4.9.4

HP Connectivity Kit (2020 1 16)
Prime hardware version C / firmware 2020 01 16

/etc/udev/rules.d/82-hp-prime.rules file with:

# HP Prime Calculator
SUBSYSTEM == "usb", ATTRS {idVendor} == "03f0", ATTRS {idProduct} == "1541", MODE = "0664"
KERNEL == "hidraw *", ATTRS {idVendor} == "03f0", ATTRS {idProduct} == "1541", MODE = "0664"

according to the output (prime connected):

~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 012: ID 03f0: 1541 Hewlett-Packard

It is important that the Linux and Wine environments share the same TEMP directory.
In my case I resolved with:
ln -s / tmp ~ / temp

I don't know if there is a smarter way to do this or if all these libraries are really needed.

Even with a lot of instabilities and without some features, I'm not having any problems transferring content.
The ~ $ dmesg output reports some I / 0 errors, so I don't exclude any danger of damage to the calculator in these operations!
There must be a possibility to make adjustments, but I believe they are beyond my abilities.

Gianfranco

Hi, I'm very interested in your results!
I attempted to use in in wine (ARCH and Mint 19.3) and in VirtualBox with windows 7 sadly with no success.
No HP prime and no virtual caculator are seen.

Maybe the HP prime revisione
04-02-2020, 04:51 PM
(04-02-2020 03:06 PM)lucamini Wrote:  Hi, I'm very interested in your results!
I attempted to use in in wine (ARCH and Mint 19.3) and in VirtualBox with windows 7 sadly with no success.
No HP prime and no virtual caculator are seen.

Maybe the HP prime revisione

On my system in order for the Windows version of CK to see the virtual Prime, I had to run the Windows version of the virtual Prime as well. WINE handled both.

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-02-2020, 07:34 PM
(04-02-2020 04:51 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  On my system in order for the Windows version of CK to see the virtual Prime, I had to run the Windows version of the virtual Prime as well. WINE handled both.

Are you able to see and handle the physical Prime?

thanks,
Luca
04-02-2020, 11:49 PM
(04-02-2020 07:34 PM)lucamini Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 04:51 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  On my system in order for the Windows version of CK to see the virtual Prime, I had to run the Windows version of the virtual Prime as well. WINE handled both.

Are you able to see and handle the physical Prime?

thanks,
Luca

Not so far. Sad

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-05-2020, 01:57 PM
The advances I have made so far have been the result of trial and error but I risk some recommendations, even without knowing exactly what the mechanisms involved are.
Make sure the package libhidapi-hidraw0 has been installed and that the physical Prime is being identified correctly by the Linux kernel.
My output of the command "lsusb -v" include:
====
Bus 001 Device 014: ID 03f0:1541 Hewlett-Packard
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
idProduct 0x1541
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 HP
iProduct 2 Prime Graphing Calculator
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 41
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bInterfaceSubClass 0 No Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 0 None
iInterface 0
HID Device Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 33
bcdHID 1.01
bCountryCode 0 Not supported
bNumDescriptors 1
bDescriptorType 34 Report
wDescriptorLength 24
Report Descriptors:
** UNAVAILABLE **
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 1
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered)
====
Start CK before connecting the calculator. Sometimes it is necessary to start manually the command "wineserver" before the CK.
Always start all commands from a terminal, error messages can help a lot, as well as system logs.
My CK can handle the physical Prime, native Linux emulator and window (wine) emulator, all at the same time!
Unfortunately I can’t browse the content of the physical Prime. The terminal shows the error when I try:
===
"0041:err:hid_report:process_hid_report Device reports coming in too fast, last report not read yet!"
===
The backup context-sensitive menu is not available either...
Even so, I have no difficulties in transferring content or taking screenshots.

Good luck and stay safe!

Gianfranco
05-04-2023, 08:25 AM
Has anyone managed to update a HP Prime through the CK by using Wine? It unfortunately seems to be rather difficult to make USB devices accessible to Wine.
05-06-2023, 01:32 PM
(05-04-2023 08:25 AM)Lukas Wrote:  Has anyone managed to update a HP Prime through the CK by using Wine? It unfortunately seems to be rather difficult to make USB devices accessible to Wine.

According to the wiki, USB kernel drivers are supported (with some UDEV rules), but user space device access via winusb.dll is not yet implemented. HP Prime with the CK falls into the latter category, unfortunately.

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)