Does anyone have copies of SWAP from the Swedish HP user group?
08-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Does anyone have copies of SWAP from the Swedish HP user group?
Hello,

I wonder if anyone have printed (PDF?) copies of SWAP, the members "magazine" of a HP-handhelds user group in Sweden back in the 1980-ies? I was a member in that group for a while. I can scan the originals to PDF, if needed, and then make them public in this forum.

Please send me a PM for my address.

Regards,
Matti, Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2020, 02:52 PM
RE: Does anyone have copies of SWAP from the Swedish HP user group?
In what language is the Magazine written?
I wonder what kind of information the magazine published, and for what calculators: HP-25, HP-67, HP-41? How many numbers were edited?
It may be interesting to publish a scan of the tables of contents, to establish the degree of interest that each one can have.

Pedro
08-02-2020, 03:11 PM
If they are in English, I'd like to see them all.

If they are in Swedish, I'll leave it to Swedish-speaking people to comment.

In any case, thank you for the kind offer to share these with the community. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
08-02-2020, 03:19 PM
(08-02-2020 02:52 PM)PedroLeiva Wrote:  In what language is the Magazine written?
I wonder what kind of information the magazine published, and for what calculators: HP-25, HP-67, HP-41? How many numbers were edited?
It may be interesting to publish a scan of the tables of contents, to establish the degree of interest that each one can have.

Pedro

The "magazine" was written in swedish, standard A4 format, and it had B/W photocopied pages. It had articles of different kinds and one could send in listings of programs. There was also the possibility to buy programs made by the users in Mac or PC formatted 3.5" DD/(HD?)-diskettes . As I remember there were contributions for the 28C/S and the 48S(X). This was just before WWW and the Internet.

I really do not know when SWAP started nor for how long it was published (when the SWAP ended) so the information is inexact. I was a member for a period in the early 1990's.

/Matti Övermark
08-02-2020, 03:32 PM
(08-02-2020 03:11 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If they are in English, I'd like to see them all.

If they are in Swedish, I'll leave it to Swedish-speaking people to comment.

In any case, thank you for the kind offer to share these with the community. Smile

I forgot to say that SWAP was written in swedish, sorry...

There may be other from the Nordic countries that could benefit from a scan as swedish is the second language in Finland and might 'easily' be understood by Danes and Norwegians. There are of course a differences between the languages, but given the subject - HP - one should be able to get the point.

It's HP-nostalgia/history anyway, and what better Forum than this, to try to get access to copies that then can be preserved to coming generations?

/Matti
08-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Perhaps one with pertinent knowledge could add the magazine to List of Swedish Magazines wikipedia?

SlideRule
08-02-2020, 05:00 PM
I would say please scan them. If you don't do it now it might never happen and they'll be lost. We'll find a home for them.
08-02-2020, 07:27 PM
It would be nice to have them scanned. I have a 28s and would probably benefit from the magazine(s)

("Nordbaggare" här, och jag läsar Svenska Smile )

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
08-02-2020, 08:43 PM
If they could be scanned with OCR (maybe impossible from photocopied pages?) one may be able to use Google Translate to read them.
08-03-2020, 07:11 PM
(08-02-2020 08:43 PM)John Keith Wrote:  If they could be scanned with OCR (maybe impossible from photocopied pages?) one may be able to use Google Translate to read them.

I will try my best to at least scan and try to run some OCR-software with/on the documents if I can get some copies of SWAP or other Nordic user groups member magazines.

If I can get my hands on a printed version there might be a chance to run the OCR, but it might be difficult. I will try anyway.

Can someone please indicate what scanner software/OCR combination is "best", "good" and sufficient?

/Matti
08-03-2020, 10:17 PM
(08-03-2020 07:11 PM)MattiMark Wrote:  Can someone please indicate what scanner software/OCR combination is "best", "good" and sufficient?

If I understood the thread correctly, the originals are black and white photocopies?

If so then scan in greyscale at 300dpi or higher. Don't go higher than 600 dpi as it won't help much. Don't worry about the OCR - that can be run afterwards.

Most current flatbed scanners produce quite reasonable quality, but it will be pretty tedious. If you can get access to an office copier/scanner with a sheet-feeder mechanism that scans to files then that would be much quicker.

Alternatively, if you have a tripod and a half-decent digital camera then you may find it quicker to set the tripod up to point the camera facing down onto a table top and just take pictures of each sheet in turn. Lots of individual image files can easily be stitched back together and make it easier to remove photocopy marks if the originals aren't very good.
08-04-2020, 08:44 AM
(08-03-2020 10:17 PM)BruceH Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 07:11 PM)MattiMark Wrote:  Can someone please indicate what scanner software/OCR combination is "best", "good" and sufficient?

If I understood the thread correctly, the originals are black and white photocopies?

If so then scan in greyscale at 300dpi or higher. Don't go higher than 600 dpi as it won't help much. Don't worry about the OCR - that can be run afterwards.

Most current flatbed scanners produce quite reasonable quality, but it will be pretty tedious. If you can get access to an office copier/scanner with a sheet-feeder mechanism that scans to files then that would be much quicker.

Alternatively, if you have a tripod and a half-decent digital camera then you may find it quicker to set the tripod up to point the camera facing down onto a table top and just take pictures of each sheet in turn. Lots of individual image files can easily be stitched back together and make it easier to remove photocopy marks if the originals aren't very good.

Bruce, thanks for the information.

The SWAP originals were in black and white photocopies. The danish USER originals are also in black and white photocopies (as seen in an other thread here at HPMuseum.org 1985-5.pdf).

As I stated in my first posting in this thread I would like to get more copies of SWAP (and USER). Perhaps if the were/are Finnish and/or Norwegian user groups I can do the scan on them as well in due time. Does anyone know more about this?

I have a flatbed scanner and one with sheet-feeder at home.

Bruce, shall I scan the originals in JPEG or PDF to prepare for the OCR-transition in the next step?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)