HP-34C – Happy Anniversary!
01-11-2019, 10:52 AM
RE: HP-34C – Happy Anniversary!
(01-11-2019 04:39 AM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  In the PPC Journal V6N5P18 (August 1979) in the article "HP-34C - A Brief Review", the initial paragraph starts out with the statement "On August 15, 1979 Hewlett-Packard announced a new scientific programmable calculator called the HP-34C." Based on this, we've still got a few months to go for that anniversary. Just sayin'.....

Thanks,
Jake

Makes you wonder about the publication date of that PPC Journal issue. Must have been end of August, seeing how they talk about the announcement as a past event. They even found time for a short review.
Most sources I checked stated July 1, 1979.
At any rate, still a few months to go... ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2019, 03:02 PM
(01-10-2019 10:06 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  ... And no, this HP-34C Solution Book "Advanced Math" is not included in the MoHP DVD set nor anywhere else AFAIK.

I was given two complimentary copies after it got printed and sent one of them to the Australian PPC Melbourne Chapter (which published tons of my contributions back then) and still keep the other to this day. I'm intent of making the contents available for free (of course!) but I recently lost my system and have no scanning capabilities at the moment.

@Valentin - Was this Solutions Book published in English? It is not mentioned in any of the (US) HP Spice series brochures and catalogs of the period, which do list other titles, so it appears it was not released here, making it all the more interesting of course. Weird choice though, as I suppose most math is pretty much culturally independent (Black-Scholes stock formulas excluded).

--Bob Prosperi
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
(01-11-2019 10:35 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(01-11-2019 01:14 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have these original Spice/Spike manuals/qrg/booklets in my collection:
Code:
Product        Released  Model           Title
-------------  --------  --------------  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00034-90034-B  Jun 1981  HP-34C          Surveying Applications
00034-90035    Aug 1978  HP-34C          Student Engineering Applications

If you are interested, I could do a 200 DPI color scan of them and made them available in the articles forum.

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,
thank you so much for the offer. I'd love to include the programs in the booklets above in an update of RPN-34 CE. You may also send the scans directly to my contact address on cuveesoft.ch, if you wish.

email sent!
01-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Hi, Bob:

(01-12-2019 03:02 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-10-2019 10:06 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  ... And no, this HP-34C Solution Book "Advanced Math"is not included in the MoHP DVD set nor anywhere else AFAIK.

I was given two complimentary copies after it got printed and sent one of them to the Australian PPC Melbourne Chapter (which published tons of my contributions back then) and still keep the other to this day. I'm intent of making the contents available for free (of course!) but I recently lost my system and have no scanning capabilities at the moment.

@Valentin - Was this Solutions Book published in English? It is not mentioned in any of the (US) HP Spice series brochures and catalogs of the period, which do list other titles, so it appears it was not released here, making it all the more interesting of course.

Yes, it's probably quite an extremely rare collector's item (not that I would sell it) though a lot were sold at the time, mostly to students and engineers.

The complimentary copy I kept is the local version published here, in Spanish language, and I don't know for sure whether it was also published in English or in other countries, probably not or it would already have surfaced in some catalogs or brochures.

For your benefit, I've located my copy (not easy !) and had a look at it. It features 16 (not 20) quality, highly optimized, bug-free advanced math programs which take advantage of the full HP-34C functionality, some as large as 175 program steps and all of them extensively documented, with plenty of useful examples (many of them dealing with Engineering topics) and fully commented listings so that users can understand how they work and even adapt them to their own purposes or call them as subroutines. I was very proud of them at the time and still am.

I've made some pics (sorry, no scanner available right now) with an old iPad2, very low quality but at least you can have a look at its covers and some contents. The pics are attached to this post.

Quote:I suppose most math is pretty much culturally independent

Who knows, we'll only be sure when we make contact with aliens. If their math has many points in common with ours, that would be Exhibit 1 for the alleged cultural independence.

As to my Solutions Book, all equations and algorithms are clearly given in full detail, as well as registers/labels/flags/whatever usage, all inputs, all outputs, so an English (or French, etc) user would be able to understand everything even if they wouldn't know anything about Spanish language, plus most mathematical vocabulary is the same or almost the same, for instance:

"Sistema" = "System"
"Ecuacion" = "Equation"
"Diferencial" = "Differential"
"Matriz" = "Matrix", "Vector" = "Vector"
"Numero Complejo" = "Complex Number"
"Integral" = "Integral"
"Armonico" = "Harmonic"

and so on and so forth.

Have a nice weekend and best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2019, 01:00 AM
That's wonderful, Valentin!

Perhaps a short list of the table of contents (in English) ? :-)

If you took pictures of each page, we could (collectively) try to get the programs put online. People learn from **anything** you do and this would be no exception!

Gene
01-14-2019, 06:38 PM
(01-10-2019 04:33 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Some folks out here are still hoping for Android versions....someday. Just sayin...

Cuvee Software doesn't do Android. If you want an Android version you'll have to get that from someone else.

Bob

Regards,
Bob
01-14-2019, 09:31 PM
(01-14-2019 06:38 PM)bshoring Wrote:  Cuvee Software doesn't do Android. If you want an Android version you'll have to get that from someone else.

I know, and knew that even before Willy replied above. I was hoping that if enough Android folks spoke up, it may motivate Willy to see the light (from all the screens of the huge Android market). Alas... no luck. Just jealous of the nice apps, and great support, Cuvee provides for iPhone users.

--Bob Prosperi
01-14-2019, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 09:39 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
Hi, Gene:

(01-13-2019 01:00 AM)Gene Wrote:  That's wonderful, Valentin!

Perhaps a short list of the table of contents (in English) ? :-)

Thanks for your interest and kind appreciation. I will post the table of contents (in English) together with some extra info for each program within a few days when I retrieve it (the book) again (I *already* put the SB back in the same place where it was stored, which is not that easy to reach, *sigh*)

Quote:If you took pictures of each page, we could (collectively) try to get the programs put online. People learn from **anything** you do and this would be no exception!

Again, thanks a lot for your appreciation. I think that taking pictures won't be a good solution because of small text, etc. The proper way is for me to either scan it (I have a very good quality scanner but no system to connect it to) or else simply retype each program as a separate PDF file (which can afterwards be joined together in a single PDF) and find some way to make it all accessible to everyone (perhaps hosted by Sylvain, Eric, TOS or some other kind soul/site).

By the way, I wrote programs for another Solution Book as well (HP-41C Advanced Math), though I don't have the complimentary copy for this one, just my originals. Ditto for yet another SB with 41C programs dealing with applied sciences (Physics, Chemistry, etc). If I find the (considerable) time I'll see to it but first of all I must put to work some kind of system or other.

Thanks again and best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
This is great! Fills the hole left by my missing HP 32E... would it be possible, in a future version, to have the option to see the X, Y, Z & T registers simultaneously?

TIA,

Tim
01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Happy 40th Anniversary HP 34C!
01-17-2019, 02:35 PM
(01-15-2019 04:44 PM)Ignatz Wrote:  This is great! Fills the hole left by my missing HP 32E... would it be possible, in a future version, to have the option to see the X, Y, Z & T registers simultaneously?

Seeing the stack (and other registers) at one glance is just a tap on the display away. Or do you have a permanent view on the calculator screen in mind?
01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Willy... I was thinking of a four-five line stack display, like the Swiss Micros DM42 does it... X,Y,Z & T (and maybe LastX?).

TIA,

Tim
01-18-2019, 09:17 AM
(01-17-2019 04:53 PM)Ignatz Wrote:  Thanks, Willy... I was thinking of a four-five line stack display, like the Swiss Micros DM42 does it... X,Y,Z & T (and maybe LastX?).

Got it. Well, there's simply no space to add a 4- or even 5- line display to the main screen. However, based on your suggestion, I've been playing with an optional 3-line stack display above the main display. And, frankly, I like what I see...
01-18-2019, 04:35 PM
This maybe obvious, but back in day, HP would ask a local expert to create booklets showing use-cases like this one. They were given as promo-items to sweeten the deal for BTS and such events. You will find examples for models like the12C, 28C (I have contributed to one), the 19B, 41C.

That will be a tricky thing to add to a collection, most of them are gone when cleaning out dorms.

Local HP marketing had some fun items in the 80’s

I had some European posters of DaVinci with a paperplane, Einstein with white hair and extremely large shoes and one more I can’t recall now. I would love to have them today!

(01-12-2019 11:37 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  .
Hi, Bob:

(01-12-2019 03:02 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  @Valentin - Was this Solutions Book published in English? It is not mentioned in any of the (US) HP Spice series brochures and catalogs of the period, which do list other titles, so it appears it was not released here, making it all the more interesting of course.

Yes, it's probably quite an extremely rare collector's item (not that I would sell it) though a lot were sold at the time, mostly to students and engineers.

The complimentary copy I kept is the local version published here, in Spanish language, and I don't know for sure whether it was also published in English or in other countries, probably not or it would already have surfaced in some catalogs or brochures.

For your benefit, I've located my copy (not easy !) and had a look at it. It features 16 (not 20) quality, highly optimized, bug-free advanced math programs which take advantage of the full HP-34C functionality, some as large as 175 program steps and all of them extensively documented, with plenty of useful examples (many of them dealing with Engineering topics) and fully commented listings so that users can understand how they work and even adapt them to their own purposes or call them as subroutines. I was very proud of them at the time and still am.

I've made some pics (sorry, no scanner available right now) with an old iPad2, very low quality but at least you can have a look at its covers and some contents. The pics are attached to this post.

Quote:I suppose most math is pretty much culturally independent

Who knows, we'll only be sure when we make contact with aliens. If their math has many points in common with ours, that would be Exhibit 1 for the alleged cultural independence.

As to my Solutions Book, all equations and algorithms are clearly given in full detail, as well as registers/labels/flags/whatever usage, all inputs, all outputs, so an English (or French, etc) user would be able to understand everything even if they wouldn't know anything about Spanish language, plus most mathematical vocabulary is the same or almost the same, for instance:

"Sistema" = "System"
"Ecuacion" = "Equation"
"Diferencial" = "Differential"
"Matriz" = "Matrix", "Vector" = "Vector"
"Numero Complejo" = "Complex Number"
"Integral" = "Integral"
"Armonico" = "Harmonic"

and so on and so forth.

Have a nice weekend and best regards.
V.
01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
(01-18-2019 09:17 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(01-17-2019 04:53 PM)Ignatz Wrote:  Thanks, Willy... I was thinking of a four-five line stack display, like the Swiss Micros DM42 does it... X,Y,Z & T (and maybe LastX?).

Got it. Well, there's simply no space to add a 4- or even 5- line display to the main screen. However, based on your suggestion, I've been playing with an optional 3-line stack display above the main display. And, frankly, I like what I see...

Hi Willy. Hi all.

How about this idea:

For example, how about a Settings switch in 32CE to either show the stack with LastX or the extra functions in 32CE’s region above the display where the extra programming functions are?
01-18-2019, 11:10 PM
[attachment=6778]
(01-18-2019 10:03 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 09:17 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  Got it. Well, there's simply no space to add a 4- or even 5- line display to the main screen. However, based on your suggestion, I've been playing with an optional 3-line stack display above the main display. And, frankly, I like what I see...

Hi Willy. Hi all.

How about this idea:

For example, how about a Settings switch in 32CE to either show the stack with LastX or the extra functions in 32CE’s region above the display where the extra programming functions are?

Hi Matt. Something like this? See attached screenshot.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-19-2019, 12:11 AM
This is REALLY nice, thump up!
01-19-2019, 03:11 AM
(01-18-2019 11:10 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 10:03 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi Willy. Hi all.

How about this idea:

Hi Matt. Something like this? See attached screenshot.

(01-19-2019 12:11 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  This is REALLY nice, thump up!

Excellent! And then, simple swipes up or down (in your screen) would show the remaining stack registers and Last X, three lines at a time. I think you know what I mean.
01-19-2019, 02:00 PM
(01-18-2019 09:17 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  

That's really nice, Willy. That would work, and if you could display Y, Z and T as smaller red LEDs, I think I’d faint!. Some haptic feedback on the keys to simulate that amazing key-press feel that the HP 3X series had would be most welcome, as would a full-screen mode, like Antonio Lagana's 'Classic' skin for his HP 41CX...

TIA,

Tim
01-19-2019, 10:51 PM
(01-19-2019 02:00 PM)Ignatz Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 09:17 AM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  Got it. Well, there's simply no space to add a 4- or even 5- line display to the main screen. However, based on your suggestion, I've been playing with an optional 3-line stack display above the main display. And, frankly, I like what I see...

That's really nice, Willy. That would work, and if you could display Y, Z and T as smaller red LEDs, I think I’d faint!. Some haptic feedback on the keys to simulate that amazing key-press feel that the HP 3X series had would be most welcome, as would a full-screen mode, like Antonio Lagana's 'Classic' skin for his HP 41CX...

I think in the end it will look like in the picture below. You dismiss the stack by tapping it or by swiping the display left. You call it up by swiping the display right. Quite convenient, actually. Implemented in RPN-32, -34 and -38. Thanks for the prodding... ;-)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)