Battery life in G2
01-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Battery life in G2
Hello

I had an HP prime since aprox 2013. The battery is still perfect and last almost a month using it sometimes (not everyday). That's very good for me.

Last week I bought the new G2 HP Prime. It is really much faster (maybe three times faster), but the battery life seems very short (4 times shorter). Maybe less than a week without using it.
Is that normal?

I have seen in the 4th page of the MENU configuration, "Wireless Network Properties", that the STATUS is: "Looking for network…"
May this be the problem for such a short battery life?

It is not a big problem, but I would rather like to know if I am doing something wrong or if this is the price of the speed.

Thanks for your help

Toni
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2019, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 09:19 PM by toml_12953.)
RE: Battery life in G2
(01-03-2019 08:56 PM)Tonig00 Wrote:  Hello

I had an HP prime since aprox 2013. The battery is still perfect and last almost a month using it sometimes (not everyday). That's very good for me.

Last week I bought the new G2 HP Prime. It is really much faster (maybe three times faster), but the battery life seems very short (4 times shorter). Maybe less than a week without using it.
Is that normal?

Toni

I haven't used my G2 for more than ten minutes in the past two weeks (holidays, you know!) and it's still at 100% so there could be something going on with yours.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-03-2019, 10:26 PM
(01-03-2019 09:18 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 08:56 PM)Tonig00 Wrote:  Hello

Is that normal?

Toni

I haven't used my G2 for more than ten minutes in the past two weeks (holidays, you know!) and it's still at 100% so there could be something going on with yours.

I get similar battery performance. When I saw this post, I checked mine, and it’s still at 100%, despite not being used for the past few weeks.

smp
01-03-2019, 10:33 PM
My G2, received and charged to 100% the 23rd Dec. and used "every now and then" still shows 100% battery.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
01-04-2019, 01:23 AM
same here; though I do use the G2's new low-power OFF mode: hold down Shift and ON together for a few seconds then release.

You can tell when you turn it back on: it takes a second or two, whereas normally it's instant.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
01-04-2019, 07:19 AM
Battery life should be essentially identical, if not a bit longer then G1.

It seems like soemting is causing your unit to not go into lower power mode while not in use. Maybe try a reset and memory wipe?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-04-2019, 12:14 PM
I have G1 and G2. Some weeks ago I charged both in same time. Now G1 is on 100%, G2 is on 50%. Usage similar. My experience, G1 has a better battery life.
01-04-2019, 01:19 PM
My experience is similar. Both Rev. C units and the G2 charged the same day. I did a few things on a Rev. C earlier today then reached for the G2. Dead... It's charging now.
01-04-2019, 03:18 PM
(01-04-2019 07:19 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  It seems like soemting is causing your unit to not go into lower power mode while not in use. Maybe try a reset and memory wipe?

Tim, how long after being powered down is the G2 meant to go into coma mode?
01-04-2019, 03:55 PM
It would be interesting to know if you still see too large battery drain when putting the calculator into coma mode manually.

— Ian Abbott
01-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Thanks very much for your answers.

The ROM which came with the G2 was a strange version, something like 13765 (do not remember exactly but it was not a usual one).

I have updated the ROM yesterday to 2.1.14181 (2018/10/16). It Works perfectly and seems to solve the problem. Posibly with a reset may have worked as well.

The battery is still 100%, and has not diminished at all.

So thanks again

Toni
01-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Hello,

G1 and G2 have completely different power profiles. This makes it very hard to make side by side comparisons.

G2 uses more power when calculating. BUT, since it calculates faster, it uses less energy to perform a calculation. So this one is a point for G2.

G1 uses slightly less energy while in idle mode (from memory, I am not 100% sure). And G2 will spend more time in idle mode because it computes faster. So this is a point for G1.

G1 uses much less power in off mode than G2 (because of the G2 RAM which, despite being "low power" uses much more juice than the G1 technology, and is also bigger. Unfortunately, the RAM type was imposed by the CPU which did not handle the RAM technology used in G1). So, big point for G1 here...

G2 has the comma mode which uses virtually no power, as a result, G2 can stay in this mode for months. G1 does not have that mode and will die in off mode. So a big point for G2 here...

G2 also has a bigger battery 2000mAh vs 1500mAh, so another point for G2.

Unfortunately, when to use comma mode is a hard nut to crack. At the moment it is set to 3 days, but you can manually enter comma mode at the end of the day if you remember it, thus saving a lot of batteries...

I have a G2 at the country house, where I go in the WE that has not seen a charger for 6 months and that still has batteries.

For a heavy user, I would say that G2 batteries will not last as long, among other things because the higher speed means that you will do more calculations! But.. your mileage might vary.

There is also the fact that the charge status is very hard to measure accurately in SW and that they are a lot of variations from one battery to another. So whatever is reported to you by the calc is ~~~~.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
01-07-2019, 09:19 AM
(01-07-2019 06:27 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  There is also the fact that the charge status is very hard to measure accurately in SW and that they are a lot of variations from one battery to another. So whatever is reported to you by the calc is ~~~~.

True, but when the thing doesn't switch on because it's run out of juice, that's more ==== than ~~~~ Smile
01-07-2019, 02:56 PM
(01-07-2019 06:27 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  G1 and G2 have completely different power profiles. This makes it very hard to make side by side comparisons.

<...snip...>

Thanks very much, Cyrille, for this detailed explanation! Greatly appreciated.

smp
01-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Hi!, all :
The new version of HP PRIME have CE Certification Declaration of Conformity for many countries included USA ... http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument...c=es&lc=es

The comparison and performance and durability of batteries, can see, from ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison...alculators

Kind Regards.
informach.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)