The traditional "Merry Christmas" thread -- with a twist
12-24-2018, 11:46 PM
The traditional "Merry Christmas" thread -- with a twist
It is a few hours yet until Christmas day here in the USA, but I thought I would get a headstart since it is already Christmas day across the pond and elsewhere.

So Merry Christmas, but what I would like in this thread is for each person to consider stating something that they are thankful for...and try not to just repeat what the previous person said unless that's what you really want to say! :-)

I will begin by saying I am thankful for the patience people show with me, day to day, here and elsewhere. I suspect that patience is something critical for the world to get along, and I hope to develop more of it. We are "all in this together" so my wish is for each of us to be more patient in 2019.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2018, 12:17 AM
RE: The traditional "Merry Christmas" thread -- with a twist
I'm thankful that the world finally seems to be moving towards trying to fix some of the problems we've created for ourselves. It might be too little, but it is a beginning. Despite the kicking and screaming.

I want my children and their children to be as happy and prosperous as we are.
12-25-2018, 02:09 AM
It is Christmas already in Australia. I am thankful for sunshine, warm weather, the opportunity to barbecue lunch for my family and then cool off in the swimming pool later. And for the blessing that is my family.

My wish for 2019 is for everyone, all around the world, to apply a simple test in every facet of their lives. Is what you are about to say or do something you would not like said or done to you? Then don't say or do it to another human being. Such is the wisdom of Rabbi Hillel, thousands of years ago. BC even.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
12-25-2018, 07:46 AM
I am thankful for living a happy 74 years (almost) and still be in relatively good health. Because of that I am able to enjoy the fellowship of my colleagues, friends and family. And especially with all of the gentlefolk on this forum.

Merry Christmas (or whatever seasonal greeting is appropriate for each of you) and a happy and prosperous new year.

John
12-25-2018, 11:22 AM
I'm thankful for the many happy moments in this year and the strong support and signs of friendship in the sad moments.

Code:

__/ \__
   \     /
   /.'o'.\
    .o.'.
   .'.'o'.
  o'.o.'.o.
 .'.o.'.'.o.
.o.'.o.'.o.'.
   [_____]
    \___/

Merry Christmas
12-25-2018, 01:02 PM
New wine in old wine skins
[attachment=6698]
new friends & old friends
BEST!
SlideRule
12-25-2018, 02:44 PM
I am thankful for those who invented Internet, for those who make great sites and forums like this one, and for all members here that share not only their knowledge about HP calculators, but also about other machines, post links to other instructive sites, books, or videos, or relate their past experience when calculators were not as widespread as nowadays.

I am thankful for the existence of Ebay, which permits to acquire old devices with only some patience. This year for example I have formed a small collection of nice slide rules, which would never have been possible without Internet and Ebay.

I am thankful for this intelligent use of Internet, as opposed to the lies, fake news, manipulations, intolerance and other primitive emotions that overrun some popular social media.
I wish the light side of the web will remain active and strong, and will have more influence on humanity than its dark side.

Merry Christmas

Jean-Charles
12-26-2018, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2018 02:54 PM by pier4r.)
(12-25-2018 02:44 PM)Helix Wrote:  I am thankful for those who invented Internet, for those who make great sites and forums like this one, and for all members here that share not only their knowledge about HP calculators, but also about other machines, post links to other instructive sites, books, or videos, or relate their past experience when calculators were not as widespread as nowadays.

[...]
I wish the light side of the web will remain active and strong, and will have more influence on humanity than its dark side.

I fully agree, and in general I am thankful for quality contributions shared to the public, even better if completely open. (as paywalls limit circulation, but hey, better than having no contribution at all!)

I am thankful for communities understanding the importance of libraries, physical or digital, therefore building and expanding them.
I am thankful for wikipedia, the internet archive and all other places were information is collected, processed and preserved.
I am thankful for the idea of collaborative places like wikis.

I am thankful that even though history, recent or ancient, is full of examples of people destroying, belittling or dismissing efforts of other people, that tried to improve the quality of life of a community or the understanding of the universe; somehow, even with all the destruction, humanity progresses. Although the progress should be sustainable (see global warming).

I am thankful that more and more knowledge - and therefore decision power - is becoming more and more accessible. Only people should not focus on lies and misinformation, otherwise there is no way to help them and their society.

I am thankful that my loved ones are healthy and I hope more people will be so, even switching their habits (for starters: 15 minutes of physical activity a day help!).

I am thankful that I have, although not being wealthy (nor I consider being "wealthy" a just status at times, as wealthy implies that the large part of the society isn't and it may be highly unfair), so many interesting activities still to explore and it is much more I can chew. This with relatively limited resources (well compared to some parts of the world I have plenty). Pen, paper, maybe a calculator, an old but stable computer, an internet connection and the ability to read some common languages.

I am thankful for many other stuff, but it takes too long to mention them.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-28-2018, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 07:01 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
I am thankful Christmas comes once a year.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)