Casio fx-29 - how to enter "y"
12-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Casio fx-29 - how to enter "y"
Today I noticed my partner pull out an old Casio fx-29 calculator that I didn't know she had!

Here is a photo I found on a website of this calculator.

[Image: main-qimg-ef447bc19f0809d76128a09dd76d918b]
Needless to say I immediately had a play.

I liked the keyboard feel and the glowing blue display. The time it took to calculate SIN was longer than I thought - about a second. I'm sure HP was never that slow!?

Then I hit the main stumbling block - how to do x^y. I can't find a manual online and not sure how to enter a second number before pressing the x^y key. Can anyone please give me a hint on how to drive this thing?

P.S. Relatedly, found this interesting article about operator precedence in Casio's calculator design history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2018, 07:43 AM
RE: Casio fx-29 - how to enter "y"
(12-05-2018 07:29 AM)tcab Wrote:  Today I noticed my partner pull out an old Casio fx-29 calculator that I didn't know she had!

Here is a photo I found on a website of this calculator.

[Image: main-qimg-ef447bc19f0809d76128a09dd76d918b]
Needless to say I immediately had a play.

I liked the keyboard feel and the glowing blue display. The time it took to calculate SIN was longer than I thought - about a second. I'm sure HP was never that slow!?

Then I hit the main stumbling block - how to do x^y. I can't find a manual online and not sure how to enter a second number before pressing the x^y key. Can anyone please give me a hint on how to drive this thing?

P.S. Relatedly, found this interesting article about operator precedence in Casio's calculator design history.

Isn't it [x] x^y [y] = ?
I have one at home, could check this evening...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Yes that seems to work - thanks. What confused me was when I enter a number then hit the x^y key the calculator does something to the number and changes it. E.g. "2 x^y" gives me 0.6931 (confusing!) and when I keep going and hit "4 =" then finally I get the answer 16.

What is 0.6931 supposed to mean? Seems you have to ignore the intermediate number and just press on with the key sequence. Entering different x values followed by x^y give different "intermediate" numbers. Very confusing.
12-05-2018, 07:58 AM
0.6931 is approximately ln 2

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Fascinating. I just crunched a series of numbers on the Casio fx-29, and indeed, pressing NUM x^y is the same as pressing NUM ln.

I wonder what the relationship between ln and x^y is, such that the calculator feels the need to do this...
12-05-2018, 09:02 AM
(12-05-2018 08:53 AM)tcab Wrote:  I wonder what the relationship between ln and x^y is, such that the calculator feels the need to do this...

Once you have implemented the algorithms for ln(x) and e^x, you can easily get x^y as x^y = e^(ln(x)*y)
12-05-2018, 01:00 PM
I never had a fx-29, but I'm pretty sure I had a fx-39 at some point during my school years. I don't remember seeing any strange behaviour for the x^y key so I guess they changed it between the fx-29 and fx-39, although I no longer have the calculator to check.

— Ian Abbott
12-05-2018, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 02:33 PM by Albert Chan.)
(12-05-2018 01:00 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I never had a fx-29, but I'm pretty sure I had a fx-39 at some point during my school years.
I don't remember seeing any strange behaviour for the x^y key so I guess they changed it between the fx-29 and fx-39,
although I no longer have the calculator to check.

Any AOS calculator that had [X<>Y] key cannot assume x^y = exp(y * ln(x)).
It had to wait until [=] key is pressed (or other operators, say + - x /)

So, based on googled fx-39 pictures, you will not see ln(x) intermediates.
12-05-2018, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 06:06 PM by edryer.)
Quote:The time it took to calculate SIN was longer than I thought - about a second. I'm sure HP was never that slow!?

Interesting no factorial function, probably as this was an entry level Scientific, however I believe this was on the FX-501P (likely +1 years, 1979) but not the later fx-29 equivalent (likely the FX-80 +1-2 years).

69! was very slow on the early TI's that had the function, likely the Casio and HP's as well.

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
12-05-2018, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 11:34 PM by ijabbott.)
(12-05-2018 02:31 PM)Albert Chan Wrote:  
(12-05-2018 01:00 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I never had a fx-29, but I'm pretty sure I had a fx-39 at some point during my school years.
I don't remember seeing any strange behaviour for the x^y key so I guess they changed it between the fx-29 and fx-39,
although I no longer have the calculator to check.

Any AOS calculator that had [X<>Y] key cannot assume x^y = exp(y * ln(x)).
It had to wait until [=] key is pressed (or other operators, say + - x /)

So, based on googled fx-39 pictures, you will not see ln(x) intermediates.

Actually, it might have been an fx-110 I had, which was similar to the fx-39, but with extra digits on the display, and the angle/sd mode switch in a different place. EDIT: Probably not though, because I don't remember mine having a dB conversion function. I've not seen a dedicated dB conversion function on a calculator before!

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)