question about the HP49g+ F3 and F4 keys
11-30-2018, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2018 09:02 PM by grossi.)
question about the HP49g+ F3 and F4 keys
Good day to all!

Some years ago I bought an HP 49G+ (my serial begins with CNA515), without testing it a lot, and then I left it it in the drawer. Since now my old HP 48GX begins to have some problems, today I have decided to begin to use it.

However, I have noticed that in my calculator, contrary to all the other keys, the F3 and F4 keys (the central ones under the display) don't click at all and don't give me any touch feedback. They just slightly move, but they don't go down and then up again sharply: I have the confirm of the success of my operation only from the result on the display.

I know about the problems with the old HP 49G and HP 49G+ models, but I am wondering if this particular behavior is a standard "feature" or if it is a problem of my specific unit.
Do you have experienced the same fact on your HP 49G+ calculators?

Can some HP 49G+ owner give me an answer?
Thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2018, 01:58 AM
RE: question about the HP49g+ F3 and F4 keys
On my 49g+ all of the top row of keys have the same click and feel. Perhaps some debris worked its way down below the two keys. Maybe a blast from a can of air might help?

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
12-01-2018, 02:55 AM
(11-30-2018 01:03 PM)grossi Wrote:  Good day to all!

Some years ago I bought an HP 49G+ (my serial begins with CNA515), without testing it a lot, and then I left it it in the drawer. Since now my old HP 48GX begins to have some problems, today I have decided to begin to use it.

However, I have noticed that in my calculator, contrary to all the other keys, the F3 and F4 keys (the central ones under the display) don't click at all and don't give me any touch feedback. They just slightly move, but they don't go down and then up again sharply: I have the confirm of the success of my operation only from the result on the display.

I know about the problems with the old HP 49G and HP 49G+ models, but I am wondering if this particular behavior is a standard "feature" or if it is a problem of my specific unit.
Do you have experienced the same fact on your HP 49G+ calculators?

Can some HP 49G+ owner give me an answer?
Thank you in advance!

I wonder if one or both of the plastic hinges have broken on those two keys?
Early production models of the HP49g+ were known to have a suffered from keyboard issues where the plastic hinge material would break and leave the key sitting loose in the key hole. IIRC the short key life issue was caused by the manufacturer taking the excess plastic left over after forming the keys and melting it back into the plastic used for new keys. This "tempered" the plastic and made it too brittle which caused the key hinge to break prematurely. HP fixed this in later production runs of the HP49g+.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Dear mfleming and Steve Simpkin,

thank you very much for your prompt answers!

Ok, then it is a defect of my unit.
As soon as I will find the time, I will try to see if it is something solvable or not.

Thank you again, it has been very kind of you!
Have a good day!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)