Printing on HP48-GX transparent keyboard overlay
11-15-2018, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2018 06:27 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
Printing on HP48-GX transparent keyboard overlay
I have three HP48-GXs and I was looking into getting some transparent keyboard overlays from Samson Cables ( here -- Also from eBay : https://goo.gl/zdFAiB ). I want the overlays to have specific, custom printing on them for a project I'm working on. I contacted Samson Cables with a request for a custom KB overlay, but they said there wasn't enough demand. Now, though, they've added the following text to the KB overlay page : "We can make other overlays for you if you need something different."

I want to create some custom overlays but the only way I know of in the case of printing on plastic is a Dye-sublimation printer, which I don't have and which is way out of my budget.

Is there an easier way? I'm thinking that the answer is "no" Sad

Thanks,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2018, 06:46 PM
RE: Printing on HP48-GX transparent keyboard overlay
(11-15-2018 06:14 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  I have three HP48-GXs and I was looking into getting some transparent keyboard overlays from Samson Cables ( here -- Also from eBay : https://goo.gl/zdFAiB ). I want the overlays to have specific, custom printing on them for a project I'm working on. I contacted Samson Cables with a request for a custom KB overlay, but they said there wasn't enough demand. Now, though, they've added the following text to the KB overlay page : "We can make other overlays for you if you need something different."

I want to create some custom overlays but the only way I know of in the case of printing on plastic is a Dye-sublimation printer, which I don't have and which is way out of my budget.

Is there an easier way? I'm thinking that the answer is "no" Sad

Thanks,

Jonathan

If someone were going to make only one and wanted it to look really professional, I might suggest looking at dry-transfer letters (look up that phrase). You rub them on one letter at a time. If you can keep a straight line, you can get super results, but it takes a while... again, it's one letter at a time.

I personally would sacrifice a little looks for speed. I would print them on transparent labels (Brother P-Touch label maker or equivalent... mine can print really small and many different color tape and print available), and trim them down to size. This would be a lot faster than dry transfer and one could print multiple copies of each label in order to make several identical overlays.
11-15-2018, 08:00 PM
RE: Printing on HP48-GX transparent keyboard overlay
How about something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Wireless...aroid+zink

You can print on 2x3" sticky labels. I have one, it's Bluetooth compatible and prints fairly fast. It'll be an initial cost, but it's a portable chargeable small photoprinter intended for mobile pics.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)