[43S] Just to have it on the new forum, too
12-19-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: [43S] Just to have it on the new forum, too
And, although I know I'm an outside enthusiast *and* although I know I can assign the keyboard the way I want when I purchase one (and I will purchase one)... ;-)

I would really prefer to have the shifted digit keys with functions preprinted on them. Ideally, the trig and inverses and log and antilog functions. I'm not really worried about clutter if it is organized well - which has always been one of Walter's strengths. :-)

That would use 10 of the 11 open keyfronts but free up two primary key locations as well.

Just me... Probably assign those functions to those keys in the first 5 minutes the machine is in my hands, but I hate to see open space sit idle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
(12-19-2013 03:33 PM)walter b Wrote:  
  • Complex unit would move from J to Z.

I actually think that is at least as appropriate as associating it with J. After all, Z is used to designate a complex number in general mathematical notation, whereas J only designates the imaginary component of a complex number in the electrical engineering discipline.

(12-19-2013 03:33 PM)walter b Wrote:  
  • Since COMPLX should travel with [i], it would separate TEST and FLAGS from the other programming operations - please see the yellow frame in the picture of my OP. To repair that, TEST and FLAGS must be moved, too. Also PARTS would stand a bit isolated so it should move elsewhere as well. Please try to setup a new 'program operations center' next to [R/S] - I frankly admit lacking motivation.

Well, I guess I don’t see a strong need to have TEST and FLAGS “connected” to the other programming operations by the P.FCN menu. I don’t think most users would have any trouble finding them without that connection. As for PARTS, forgive me, but I don’t remember exactly what functions will be there. But if you desire a ‘program operations center’ around R/S including those keys and menus in your yellow frame, that will be more difficult with my proposal.

(12-19-2013 03:33 PM)walter b Wrote:  Looking at the last consistent series of RPN calculator models HP made (Pioneers), we find [R/S] bottom right and [<-] at the right end of center row, followed by [E] and [+/-] going left. I like that :-)

Summing up, I'd stay with the layout of the OP until you return (or somebody else appears) with a better offer. Thanks for your understanding. Else feel free to convince me that my choice is wrong.

d:-)

Attempting such convincing would be analogous to trying to convince one who has proclaimed that chocolate is his or her favorite ice cream flavor that vanilla should be, since it is just better. If I go to a party hosted by a chocolate lover, I’d be a poor guest indeed to complain about the lack of vanilla Smile

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
12-19-2013, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 08:37 PM by aurelio.)
whow, Walter!!!
just it's missing the output for a "espresso italian coffee", what elseSmile ?

I think "undo" and "clear" on the most right side like in the first picture.

the operator in a reverse position from up to down: -, +, x, /, but maybe this second option was already refused after the previous polls
12-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Ciao Aurelio,
(12-19-2013 08:16 PM)aurelio Wrote:  just it's missing the output for a "espresso italian coffee", what elseSmile ?
Mille grazie! Smile What more can I achieve? Wink

About the order of the arithmetic operators: I think we'll stay with the order of the OP -- got enough flames for putting them on the left side below of ENTER. Don't want to get fully roasted.

12-19-2013, 09:57 PM
(12-19-2013 09:43 PM)walter b Wrote:  got enough flames for

Flames? What flames?!?

Big Grin Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2013, 10:45 PM
(12-19-2013 09:43 PM)walter b Wrote:  About the order of the arithmetic operators: I think we'll stay with the order of the OP -- got enough flames for putting them on the left side below of ENTER. Don't want to get fully roasted.

always on the left I meant, Walter, old RPN way, and for that reason in a different order:from up to down: -, +, x, /, the original one!
12-20-2013, 01:23 AM
When do you forecast the launch of this package?

R Nav
Clinton Twp, MI

28c
28s
48sx
49g
50g
17bii
33s
35s
Prime
wp34s
DM42 (daily user)
12-20-2013, 06:24 AM
The 34S firmware took about three years to go from some initial design and implementation ramblings to something useful. We haven't started coding the 43S at this stage and the hardware isn't ready.

I'd consider it all semi-viscous vapourware at this point.

- Pauli
12-20-2013, 07:06 AM
As a lefty I've got to advocate for handedness.

I hold the calc in my right hand because my best poker finger is on my left. Right hand thumb manages the operators. Left finger is for numbers and fancy stuff.

So I'm happy with operators on the right, thanks for favoring us lefties.

But makes me sorry for those rare right handed folks. Are there right handed traitors that prefer the left hand arrangement?

Maybe in the future we can have reversible keys so customized for users handedness?
12-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Eri,

You'll find extended discussions and even polls about the 43S layout in the forum archives. Please look at them. I'm not going to open that box again.

d:-/
12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
(12-19-2013 04:37 PM)Gene Wrote:  I would really prefer to have the shifted digit keys with functions preprinted on them. Ideally, the trig and inverses and log and antilog functions. I'm not really worried about clutter if it is organized well - which has always been one of Walter's strengths.
Thanks for your kind words.
Do you know you won't reach any popular trig or inverse or log or antilog any faster by that? The unshifted menu lines of [TRIG] and [LOG] will look like \(sin, arcsin, cos, arccos, tan, arctan\) , and \(ln, e^{x}, lg, 10^{x}, x^{3}, log_{x}y\) , respectively. So once e.g. [TRIG] is called, COS is just one keystroke away.

(12-19-2013 04:37 PM)Gene Wrote:  Probably assign those functions to those keys in the first 5 minutes the machine is in my hands, but I hate to see open space sit idle.
I disagree: I love open space -- space that's not necessary to be populated.

12-20-2013, 02:59 PM
(12-16-2013 09:27 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  As happy as a sandboy | clam | Larry | lark | dog with two tails...

Smile

Even when the arithmetic operators are out of order? Just imagine switching from the HP-41CX to the 43S and doing a division when you intended to do a subtraction...
12-20-2013, 03:06 PM
@Walter, yep the 2nd layout. :-)

But again, I am fully aware of the USER abilities as well as the multi-layer displayed functions shown for menus.

Call me old school cause I am!

And, none of these discussions should be taken as any dissatisfaction with the work done already. Far from it.
12-20-2013, 03:22 PM
(12-20-2013 02:59 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Even when the arithmetic operators are out of order? Just imagine switching from the HP-41CX to the 43S and doing a division when you intended to do a subtraction...

It could be strange to you and other aficionados but, unlike others here, I don't need to look at the digits when poking around on the keyboard (so I don't mind if they are hidden from my own hand), instead I always check the operators: since they've already been shuffled around on different series

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I know what you want to tell me, but ...
Gene,
(12-20-2013 03:06 PM)Gene Wrote:  @Walter, yep the 2nd layout. :-)
Please avoid the button 'New Reply' -- it will put your reply at the very end of the thread and nobody will know what you're talking about. Instead, go to the post you want to respond to, press 'Quote' and start writing your reply (you may delete the quotation completely). Sounds complicated but isn't -- although less easy than on the old forum.

d:-/
12-20-2013, 07:11 PM
(12-20-2013 03:22 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-20-2013 02:59 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Even when the arithmetic operators are out of order? Just imagine switching from the HP-41CX to the 43S and doing a division when you intended to do a subtraction...

It could be strange to you and other aficionados but, unlike others here, I don't need to look at the digits when poking around on the keyboard (so I don't mind if they are hidden from my own hand), instead I always check the operators: since they've already been shuffled around on different series

I remember to have used at school time the 25c keyboard so frequently, that it was like to play music with my alto recorder, not worried by the position of the holes, no mind even the music score ....
But when I began to use the 48 (or the 42) it was like to change the instrument...I was playing the oboe thinking to have a recorder in my hands, you can imagin the result!
12-20-2013, 08:22 PM
(12-20-2013 05:17 PM)walter b Wrote:  Gene,
(12-20-2013 03:06 PM)Gene Wrote:  @Walter, yep the 2nd layout. :-)
Please avoid the button 'New Reply' -- it will put your reply at the very end of the thread and nobody will know what you're talking about.

Gene: Good tip. Thank you!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)