Plastic sheet to make HP-41C overlays
11-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Plastic sheet to make HP-41C overlays
I would like to make overlays for my HP-41C and I am looking for printable sheets of plastic of the right thickness. Alternatively, I could print on adhesive vinyl and laminate with a plastic back sheet. Does anyone know where to find either the printable sheets or the back sheets?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2018, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2018 09:27 AM by Zaphod.)
RE: Plastic sheet to make HP-41C overlays
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasticard-0-...B_T_w:rk:1Tonguef:0

?

(Ignore the funny fave , the link still works as an example ), I guess some place would offer a laser cut service too
11-06-2018, 01:46 AM
(11-05-2018 09:25 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasticard-0-...:rk:1:pf:0

?

(Ignore the funny fave , the link still works as an example ), I guess some place would offer a laser cut service too

Just for future reference, below the entry box there are two tickboxes; one for Signature, the other for Disable Smilies. There may be more than that but those are the two I see here.

That should allow you to do neat stuff like :) and :D.
(Post 312)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2018, 07:48 AM
One option is to print on thin card and cover with transparent, sticky-backed plastic.

— Ian Abbott
11-06-2018, 04:38 PM
I guess you guys know that page to produce your custom labels. Maybe some have forgotten ...
http://hp.meshuggeneh.net/
Instructions included
11-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Zaphod, AndiGer,

Thank you very much for your input
11-08-2018, 10:50 PM
(11-05-2018 09:25 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasticard-0-...B_T_w:rk:1Tonguef:0

?

Well, is the plastic laser printer proofed or "only" for bubblers?
11-09-2018, 07:58 AM
(11-08-2018 10:50 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 09:25 AM)Zaphod Wrote:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasticard-0-...B_T_w:rk:1Tonguef:0

?

Well, is the plastic laser printer proofed or "only" for bubblers?

It's modelling supplies, so you might need to paint it. I can't imagine ink jet ink sticking to it. Laser toner might stick to it. Screen-printing ink might stick to it.

— Ian Abbott
11-09-2018, 12:36 PM
I think hes asking if its heat resistant to be able to put it through a laser.

I used to sell a lot of fusers to a local college every fall when new students would put inkjet transparencies in laser printers.
11-10-2018, 06:02 AM
I contacted the seller of such sheets and they answered the sheets can only be used with inkjet printers. They melt in laser printers
11-10-2018, 11:17 PM
You could contact Michael Fehlhammer, who actually produced some HP-41 overlays not long ago.

-- Ray
11-11-2018, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2018 02:09 AM by toml_12953.)
(11-06-2018 04:38 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  I guess you guys know that page to produce your custom labels. Maybe some have forgotten ...
http://hp.meshuggeneh.net/
Instructions included

Some of the characters (such as in P→R and R→P) don't come out properly on the finished image in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. Is there a way to fix that?

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-11-2018, 09:23 AM
@Tom
Try another browser. Works with Firefox for me, does not work with IE here as well.
Andi
11-16-2018, 10:20 PM
Hi all,
Maybe a dumb (obvious) question, but if one prints an overlay using a paper (or plastic) sheet, how do you cut out all the button rectangles?
My solution so far has been to use strips of removable tape running vertically between the buttons so I can still see all the original functions. Crude, but works for me.
Thanks (and forgive me if this has been covered, but I've never seen it).
Tom
11-17-2018, 03:06 AM
IMHO the ideal solution will be to create a 3D printed parts that will cutout the extra paper/plastic/etc (keys) of the printed overlay.
  • part 1 : reproduce an overlay but thicker
  • part 2 : reproduce an negative overlay with slots to place small metal cutters around keys to cut the extra paper
How to use it
  • you place the paper/plastic/etc printed thin overlay on top of the first part (thick overlay)
  • you press the second part (negative overlay) on top of the first part (thick overlay) and you press to cut the extra paper/plastic/etc of the thin overlay
11-17-2018, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2018 10:21 AM by ijabbott.)
(11-16-2018 10:20 PM)tpugsley Wrote:  Maybe a dumb (obvious) question, but if one prints an overlay using a paper (or plastic) sheet, how do you cut out all the button rectangles?

Maybe a dumb answer, but you could use a laser cutting service.

EDIT: It may even be possible to laser etch the writing and fill it in afterwards.

— Ian Abbott
11-17-2018, 10:45 AM
You can also use toner transfer. Take a thick, bright, empty overlay, print a negative of the labels on paper, iron it really quick to the overlay and put it immediately in cold water. Then rub the paper off and you have an overlay with labels on it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)