Python comes to the Casio fx-CG 50
10-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Python comes to the Casio fx-CG 50
The Casio fx-CG 50 joins the HP Prime and Numworks to have Python programming. See the OS Update Information section: https://edu.casio.com/products/graphic/fxcg50/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2018, 05:04 PM
RE: Python comes to the Casio fx-CG 50
(10-21-2018 09:57 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The Casio fx-CG 50 joins the HP Prime and Numworks to have Python programming. See the OS Update Information section: https://edu.casio.com/products/graphic/fxcg50/

We want MicroPython (or full Python on G2!) for the Prime, too!

Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
10-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Great news. I’d probably buy the calculator except I don’t want to pay for a yearly fx-CG Manager PLUS Subscription in order to transfer Python files.
10-23-2018, 02:21 PM
(10-23-2018 11:53 AM)tcab Wrote:  Great news. I’d probably buy the calculator except I don’t want to pay for a yearly fx-CG Manager PLUS Subscription in order to transfer Python files.

You can connect it as a USB mass storage device to transfer files. (Actually, it might be MTP or PTP mode - I can't remember!)

— Ian Abbott
10-23-2018, 03:51 PM
(10-23-2018 02:21 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  You can connect it as a USB mass storage device to transfer files. (Actually, it might be MTP or PTP mode - I can't remember!)

When you connect a USB cable the CG-50 prompts you to choose which mode you want to use: USB Flash (i.e. mass storage), or a couple of other modes for connecting to the Screen Receiver software on a PC, or to a projector.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
10-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Ok the USB cable idea is getting me tempted re this calculator. I briefly looked through the manual at the Python chapter and couldn't quite figure out if the Python integrates with the graphing and other features of the calculator, or whether the MicroPython just lives in its own little mode/world?

Also, can anybody compare this calc to our venerable mighty Prime? I can predict the Prime will be way faster, but in terms of design and UI I'd be interested in a quick opinion from someone who owns both.
10-24-2018, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2018 09:34 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
I asked about whether the CG50 MicroPython could access pixels in this thread...it appears not.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-107...ght=python
Though I don't have one to test myself.

Whereas the Python syntax on the Prime can as evidenced by this Mandelbrot example by Parisse:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11522-page-2.html

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
10-24-2018, 10:13 AM
(10-24-2018 08:07 AM)tcab Wrote:  Also, can anybody compare this calc to our venerable mighty Prime? I can predict the Prime will be way faster, but in terms of design and UI I'd be interested in a quick opinion from someone who owns both.

I own the Prime (hardware version A). I don't own the Casio CG-50, but I do have a Casio CG-20 and the school at which I teach encourages sixth-form maths students (ages 16-18) to buy the CG-50, so I know what it is like.

The two calculators have a similar price: on amazon.co.uk the CG-50 is about £10 cheaper than the Prime V2. Both are well built. The Prime keyboard is more of a classic HP feel; some people don't like the softer Casio keyboards, but they are completely reliable (as is the Prime, in my experience). The colour display of the Casio is lower-resolution but it is clearer: it uses bit-mapped fonts as opposed to the antialiased fonts on the Prime. This isn't an issue; the Prime is plenty clear enough.

There is no touch screen on the Casio. I use the touch screen on the Prime a lot - for moving graphs around, selecting previous inputs / outputs, etc. - if you've never had one you won't miss it, of course!

Both calculators use apps, with a good number built in on each. Without exception, I think that the apps on the Prime are well ahead of the corresponding app on the Casio machine. I don't think that there is anything like the Prime's advanced graphing app on the Casio. The Prime numerical solver handles multiple equations with ease; the Casio solver doesn't. Casio's BASIC programming language is an app - it works, but it isn't great. It doesn't begin to compare with programming on the Prime - very little structure and (I think) only single-character variable names. There is no built-in CAS app on the Casio; the Prime's CAS is, of course, very powerful. Finally, the Prime does have an RPN mode built in: this may or may not matter to you.

Extra apps are available for the Casio: C.Basic is much faster and fuller-featured than Casio Basic; Bernhard Parisse has ported XCas to the Casio, so you can have a CAS if you want one. There is even a (rather limited) RPN calculator that I wrote a long time ago: this runs on the CG-20, so it will probably run on the CG-50 too.

But on the Prime, everything is fully integrated. All of the built-in apps and the CAS have been designed to work together, or at least to work in the same way. The Prime user experience is better, in my opinion.

For school use: in the UK, Casio calculators rule. HP appears to do zero marketing here, and even TI is rarely seen in high street shops. The Casio calculator is approved for use in exams, so long as its memory is cleared beforehand (so, naturally, no CAS or pre-written programs!). In exam mode the Prime should be fine as well, but schools won't be familiar with it and will probably not allow it unless they are introduced to it well in advance. Schools will be familiar with Casio machines.

Documentation: there are complete online manuals for each machine. People have complained about the lack of CAS documentation for the Prime, but most questions can be answered if you look around or ask here. The Prime has excellent built-in help; the Casio doesn't.

I can't comment on the Python as I don't actually have the CG-50. For Python on the Prime, see this thread.

My verdict (as you've probably guessed): the Prime, unless you're buying it for use in a UK school. Both calculators are great, but the Prime does far more. However, the Casio does what it does do very well (and it comes with a periodic table built in!).

Nigel (UK)
10-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Feature wise, the HP Prime beats the Casio fx-CG 50. I wish the fx-CG 50 allowed us to choose more than 8 colors like the HP Prime does.

The Casio fx-CG 50 Python module is Micro Python 1.9.4. The set consists of primary basic universal commands (print, while, if, input, float, int, etc.), the math module, and a few commands from the random module. I found that most of the time I would be accessing the commands through the catalog. What is nice is that the catalog in Python mode is tailored to that mode.

Sample Python Code: The Four Means

User enters data. When finished, enter -9999. By the way, to enter negative numbers in Python mode, the minus key [ - ] is used, not the negate key.
Code:

means.py:

import math
print("Enter -9999")
print("to terminate.")
# initialization
x=float(input("Data: "))
n=0
sx=0
ss=0
ps=1
# Enter data
while x!=-9999:
  n=n+1
  sx=sx+x
  ss=ss+x**2
  sr=sr+x**-1
  ps=ps*x
  print(" n = ", str(n))
# calculations
print("Means")
print("Arithmetic ",str(sx/n))
print("Geometric ", str(math.pow(ps,1/n)))
print("Harmonic ", str(n/sr))
print("RMS ", str(math.sqrt(ss/n)))
10-24-2018, 05:35 PM
No graphics in CG50 MicroPython yet, but perhaps they'll add some support in a later release.

— Ian Abbott
10-25-2018, 01:05 PM
(10-23-2018 11:53 AM)tcab Wrote:  Great news. I’d probably buy the calculator except I don’t want to pay for a yearly fx-CG Manager PLUS Subscription in order to transfer Python files.

A subscription is not required to transfer files from a fx-CG 50 files to a computer. All that is needed is the USB cord that comes with the calculator. When you connect fx-CG 50 to the computer, the calculator will offer connection choices. Select USB and the calculator acts like a USB drive.
10-25-2018, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 03:05 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(10-25-2018 01:05 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  

A subscription is not required to transfer files from a fx-CG 50 files to a computer. All that is needed is the USB cord that comes with the calculator. When you connect fx-CG 50 to the computer, the calculator will offer connection choices. Select USB and the calculator acts like a USB drive.

Thats good to know, as the Casio software seems unavailable in the uk (tapping on Purchase Now/Click Pay does nothing)...and if it did, its listed under a "classroom" subdirectory, so might not be available to adults...I was actually hoping to discover the cost, but without graphics probably wouldn't buy.
https://edu.casio.com/products/classroom/fxcgm_plus/
I'm hoping that when you say you need the cable with the calculator, a standard usb cable will work - not something else.

Update: Apparently that Casio button works for some.

10-25-2018, 02:03 PM
(10-25-2018 01:35 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Thats good to know, as the Casio software seems unavailable in the uk (tapping on Purchase Now/Click Pay does nothing)...and if it did, its listed under a "classroom" subdirectory, so might not be available to adults...I was actually hoping to discover the cost, but without graphics probably wouldn't buy.
https://edu.casio.com/products/classroom/fxcgm_plus/
I'm hoping that when you say you need the cable with the calculator, a standard usb cable will work - not something else.

The fx-CG50 (and most other USB Casios) uses a plain old mini USB cable.
10-25-2018, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 04:38 PM by Zaphod.)
(10-25-2018 01:35 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Thats good to know, as the Casio software seems unavailable in the uk (tapping on Purchase Now/Click Pay does nothing)...and if it did, its listed under a "classroom" subdirectory, so might not be available to adults...I was actually hoping to discover the cost, but without graphics probably wouldn't buy.

The button does work.

It then opens a separate browser page (so it may be you have some anti pop-up software enabled?)

Anyway I clicked the buy button at the bottom of https://edu.casio.com/products/classroom/fxcgm_plus/

and it loads up:
https://edu.casio.com/softwarelicense/po...e07e65c435

which you then click the 'my commerce' link

and it loads up https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/produ...e07e65c435

which shows prices of subs (including 1 user)

These links may time-out as they have some session data within
10-25-2018, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 03:04 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Thank you for that info. Most 3rd party sites and ads pop-up fine on my Android, but not that one I described.

01-11-2020, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2020 09:09 AM by Csaba Tizedes.)
A cheaper chioce with B/W LCD: the Graph 35+E II (starts at 45 sec in the video below)
Video link - YouTube

And the TI-83 with Python but color LCD:
Video link - YouTube
Education TI Website

Any experience?
Manual is available?
These calculators are applicable for learning Python? (Eg. I want to use them for basic numerical methods like here: Stewart calculus with TI-83).

3rd party libraries (eg. for plotting) can be use?

Thanks!
Csaba
01-11-2020, 05:59 PM
The Python I have on Casio fx-CG 50 is pretty limited: Basic commands and a simplified Math library.
01-11-2020, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2020 07:03 PM by ijabbott.)
(01-11-2020 05:59 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The Python I have on Casio fx-CG 50 is pretty limited: Basic commands and a simplified Math library.

There is supposed to be an update in April with graphics support in Python. (It was actually announced for the French version, but presumably it will also be available for the international version.)

https://mailchi.mp/casio.fr/nouvelle-bib...c72106bfeb

— Ian Abbott
01-11-2020, 08:50 PM
(01-11-2020 05:59 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The Python I have on Casio fx-CG 50 is pretty limited: Basic commands and a simplified Math library.

And if you compare it to the TI's Python which seems better? TI Python Manual and a Middle school booklet for Python applications.

Csaba
05-20-2020, 10:18 PM
(01-11-2020 08:50 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  

And if you compare it to the TI's Python which seems better? TI Python Manual and a Middle school booklet for Python applications.

Csaba

ええと、私はフランス語が出来ません。

Looking at the bits I can understand (e.g. screenshots and the module/function list), it seems like TI's is pretty barebones, with just simple 'math' and 'random' modules. I'm assuming the TI implementation won't achieve very much system integration (graphics, TI variable access, etc.) since there's essentially a separate system running Python with the calculator just acting as a terminal. Casio at least has the casioplot module for graphical output now.

The TI code editor does have a smaller font than Casio's, so it can fit more code on screen, which is nice. But then the Casio can be connected to a computer like a USB flash drive, making it easy to transfer source code files back and forth without needing to mess with something like TI Connect CE.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)