Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
10-09-2018, 01:08 AM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
(10-09-2018 12:57 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hello!

I've modified how it works so it now becomes a simple opt-in at that link. Please click it (and refresh the page if it doesn't show you a "click here to become a tester" button.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com...calculator

Should also show up in the larger Play store somewhere I'd assume. Happy testing!

(please, if you are someone that has had issues with crashing or irregular screen updates, let me know what you see now. Thanks!)

That's solved my issue of the Prime Pro app not saying "you're a beta tester…" in the Play store, even though it had given me the beta version. It does now, thanks.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2018, 02:07 AM
(10-09-2018 01:08 AM)cdmackay Wrote:  
(10-09-2018 12:57 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Hello!

I've modified how it works so it now becomes a simple opt-in at that link. Please click it (and refresh the page if it doesn't show you a "click here to become a tester" button.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com...calculator

Should also show up in the larger Play store somewhere I'd assume. Happy testing!

(please, if you are someone that has had issues with crashing or irregular screen updates, let me know what you see now. Thanks!)

That's solved my issue of the Prime Pro app not saying "you're a beta tester…" in the Play store, even though it had given me the beta version. It does now, thanks.

I had problem being in beta too: Google play on my desktop showed I'm in beta, but on my phone it showed nothing. Now, with Tim's link I'm in beta and within a minute I had HP Prime beta installed.

So far I have only tested any possible app shutdowns and no factory reset occured yet.

Prime, 15C CE
10-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Thanks Tim. With the latest link I've received the beta update for the Prime Pro. I will check and report any issue.
10-11-2018, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 02:55 AM by sasa.)
On Linux 64-bit version I have noted several issues may be fixable in some future release.

The first is freezing when start some simple PPL programs which modifying Ymin and Ymax... Application can be regularly closed, however calculator cannot be stopped the executed PPL program. And that happens until the calculator reset. After restoring these saved PPL files, the same program usually now runs fine, until some other moment when start to behaves similar...

The second is that sometimes PPL programs modifying Ymin and Ymax return syntax error on Ymax, however sometimes compilation with the same code pass without any problems and run correctly...

Perhaps, for upper can be found exact steps to reproduce it, however main problem is that calculator reset delete any user saved files with PPL. This require previous backup, before the reset process, reset and close emulator, then again copy these PPL files back to the same directory, then start the emulator...

This is indeed quite demanding task and perhaps is possible to make another checkbox in emulator's settings to preserve user saved PPL files after calculator reset.

I may submit this as official request, however here may be more suitable if more test users have similar experience and have found similar issues with similar practical problems.
10-12-2018, 09:16 PM
I already had the Pro. (Android).
I'm not sure what happens when the Beta ends one day...
Anyway I have also a real Prime and the PC version.

For comparison I'm buying a TI-Inspire CX CAS next week.
It is used inside the Finnish Matriculation Examination Linux USB stick "Abitti"

I may take the test again for Physics just to see how it's done w/o pencil+paper.
We Finns had our first e-test a few days ago. I may try it early next year.
I already have the top score, but the old guys way.
The next spring the young dudes do everything using a laptop (school/BYOD)
(In the Oulu Adult High School they seem to have adopted hp Elitebook 840 - good choice)

I'm beta testing everything in the real life of a graduating student in Finland
GeoGebra is used in Physics. MarvinSketch in Chemistry. Abitti Math tool in Math.
Teachers prefer sending home test results (1-2 on a few courses) using LibreOffice Writer.
In biology I can use LibreOffice Draw or a tool of my choice for the drawings.

I'm not sure how soon after the Physics exam I can give a review
since I'm also planning to apply for the university again in May. - Summer?
Let's see if any of this will really happen - God willing!
10-13-2018, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2018 11:22 PM by akmon.)
I´ve done a test with the command RANDMAT(100,100,100) with the beta firmware and with an older official firmware, on physical units (hp prime G2 with last beta and G8X92AA with 13441 software version

I detected that the beta has a problem dealing with large matrices. Although the new beta shows a compressed matrix, it takes a really long time doing any operation after this.

For example, showing the whole matrix, (100x100), chronograph in hand

13441 software version: 10,4 secs.
14091 software version: 22,7 secs

But what it´s worst: after showing the matrix, just for scaping from it it takes about 25 seconds, and if you want to go to APPS menu you have to wait another 60! seconds to get into it.

So with large matrices it doen´t compensate the new compressed view feature because it get too slow.

UPDATE: I´ve upgraded both units (G1 and G2) to beta firmware, and surprisingly after finishing the work, if I press APPS on G1, you go to APPS menu on an instant, but in G2, it takes 7 seconds. Later if you press ESC key it takes 20 seconds on G1 and 17 seconds on G2 for reaching the main stack.
10-14-2018, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 12:12 PM by dg1969.)
(10-13-2018 10:52 PM)akmon Wrote:  I detected that the beta has a problem dealing with large matrices. Although the new beta shows a compressed matrix, it takes a really long time doing any operation after this.

But what it´s worst: after showing the matrix, just for scaping from it it takes about 25 seconds, and if you want to go to APPS menu you have to wait another 60! seconds to get into it.

So with large matrices it doen´t compensate the new compressed view feature because it get too slow.

UPDATE: I´ve upgraded both units (G1 and G2) to beta firmware, and surprisingly after finishing the work, if I press APPS on G1, you go to APPS menu on an instant, but in G2, it takes 7 seconds. Later if you press ESC key it takes 20 seconds on G1 and 17 seconds on G2 for reaching the main stack.

Thank you for noting this difference in behavior between the two versions G1 and G2.
That surprised me too and that's what I tried to highlight in my remarks here on post #10 and #11 http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11522.html
But my bad mastery of the English language has made my speech incomprehensible since it has not succited any remark. I believe, like you, that there is something wrong here ...
10-14-2018, 04:27 PM
I gave 'MatInv1' CAS function code in another thread.
That crashes on Android Prime Pro app if the Matrix is too large.
It works fine on a 200x200 matrix on my physical G1 Prime.

I'm switching to TI or Casio for the real calculations on my Physics courses,
which do NOT involve any matrices.

I will test the HP Prime, but I'm not trusting it on my huge Mi Max 2 droid.
I'm trusting the real calculator, though.

Let's see how the competition holds on...
Maybe I'll bump into other kind of bugs?

I want to succeed in test without worrying about the CAS software.
Life sucks - always...
10-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Hi, is there any way in the Android app to directly import a zip file with an app? Or do you need connsuite?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2018, 04:58 AM
(10-15-2018 03:47 PM)eried Wrote:  Hi, is there any way in the Android app to directly import a zip file with an app? Or do you need connsuite?

Connkit only at the moment.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-17-2018, 09:17 AM
(10-17-2018 04:58 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 03:47 PM)eried Wrote:  Hi, is there any way in the Android app to directly import a zip file with an app? Or do you need connsuite?

Connkit only at the moment.

I see, I was looking for the Documents folder like in the computer, but my phone is not rooted.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
10-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Yeah, it is buried in the normal app sandboxed location. I thought about exposing it, but there wasn't enough time this go round.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-20-2018, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2018 02:58 PM by sasa.)
It would be informative at least, to make an automated message feedback to reporter that his report is received, after sent it through calcbeta@hp.com.

The problem may exist is reporter's email server is on black list, as the most of free email service probably are. Without knowing exact company policy about spam protection and frequency of respond on report, an automated message would be quite nice.
10-27-2018, 09:29 PM
(10-09-2018 12:57 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  (please, if you are someone that has had issues with crashing or irregular screen updates, let me know what you see now. Thanks!)

I'm happy to report that I have had no freeze nor crash issue so far with the Android beta version, while the previous released version was barely usable on my tablet.
11-01-2018, 09:59 PM
(10-13-2018 10:52 PM)akmon Wrote:  I´ve done a test with the command RANDMAT(100,100,100) with the beta firmware and with an older official firmware, on physical units (hp prime G2 with last beta and G8X92AA with 13441 software version

I detected that the beta has a problem dealing with large matrices. Although the new beta shows a compressed matrix, it takes a really long time doing any operation after this.

Update: after last official firmware release, something has changed: in the same case, you go to APPS menu on an instant in G2, the same like G1. Thank you Tim for sorting this challenge.
01-25-2019, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2019 12:31 AM by EugeneNine.)
hmm

Code:
bash-4.3$ ./HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator-x86_64.AppImage 
QFileDevice::seek: IODevice is not open
QIODevice::read (QFile, "/tmp/HPCK_e5ced4fc-2d0e-4dd1-81d5-0e536c080b53.lock"): device not open
HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator-x86_64.AppImage: browser.c:581: avahi_service_browser_new: Assertion `client' failed.
Aborted

I've used appimages before without problems.
01-26-2019, 12:52 AM
(09-18-2018 01:32 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Special thank you to Eric Rechlin at hpcalc.org for hosting the files for us.

Quote:http://www.hpcalc.org/prime/beta/

Have fun!

Hi Tim,

Very much enjoying the betas and being able to interact with the real devs like you guys. I gave my Prime to my son and bought another for myself. Bought the phone app as well. Good times! We live in the future. Anyway...

I wanted to give the HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator-x86_64.AppImage a go under Fedora27. It started off well...

benson@:~/bin $ export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2
bbenson@:~/bin $ ./HP_Prime_Virtual_Calculator-x86_64.AppImage
[...Qt noises snipped...]

...then a dialog showed up saying it only runs for 60days. Doh!!

If you'd like a playtester for Fedora and RHEL, I'd love to look at any appimage you're able to share and give appropriate feedback.
01-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Hi,

since running the Windows Version of the HP Prime Virtual Calculator with Wine/Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 is a heavy task (sometimes even too hard),
I would love to try out the x64-AppImage.
Will there be a linux version with prolonged date of expiry ?
06-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Any chance of the Connectivity Kit having a beta for Linux? I currently have no way to send anything to my new G2 as I only use Linux.
06-10-2020, 01:09 PM
I agree, that would be awesome, though I understand it is extra work and I bet there are some more things in the to-do list to add refinements to the HP Prime. In my case, also working with Linux, by now I have problems running the CK with Virtualbox. I have to try VMWare or prepare a native Windows installation only for the Prime.

(06-09-2020 07:48 PM)parkerlreed Wrote:  Any chance of the Connectivity Kit having a beta for Linux? I currently have no way to send anything to my new G2 as I only use Linux.

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)