Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
09-30-2020, 01:21 PM
RE: Public Beta Availiable - Win/Mac/Linux/Firmware/Android/iOS
As far as educational use goes, most anything on the calculator can be used in good or bad ways. I think the Triangle Solver can be used as a great exploration tool. (Come up with a conjecture to determine when a Side-Side-Angle situation produces 1, 2, or no triangles. Use the Triangle Solver to confirm or reject your conjecture.) I have encouraged students with Primes to use the Triangle Solver to check to make sure they are doing their homework correctly, but I would not allow its use on a test where you have to show all your work anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2020, 09:57 AM
(06-19-2020 12:18 PM)Reiner Wrote:  
Quote:...
I would really like the HP Connectivity Kit on Linux as that would greatly improve my workflow and be much easier to recommend it to colleagues and friends.

For me the old version of the HP Prime Calculator appimage is working very well, but it annoys me how hard it is to get my application onto the HP Prime when working on Linux.
Otherwise a small program to sideload the application or an API/protocol to do it without relying on Windows or MacOS, but instead open software like Linux.

I really hope that HP Prime on Linux has not been abandonned.

+1
I hope for a connectivity kit on linux, too.

regards
Reiner

+1

I second this.

A question: I am wondering where the Linux Prime stores its data/programs etc ? It is very likely somewhere in $HOME, but haven't found it yet.
11-06-2020, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 10:23 AM by emax.)
> where the Linux Prime stores its data/programs

Have found it.

For those who wonder as well: go to the applications Edit->Settings menu. There you can set the directory.

11-09-2020, 03:07 PM
(09-30-2020 01:19 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  I'm sure this issue of what to provide on a calculator and what to leave to the user to program is an issue that calculator designers wrestle with regularly. There is definitely a trend to add more built-in Wizards and Solvers and such to handle problems that could have been done by the user through other built-in functions or by programming.

When TI added the Stats Wizards to the 84+ and Nspire, it did not add any functionality, but my students' errors reduced significantly as a result. TI recently added a Diff Eq Solver Wizard to the Npsire. I think the Triangle Solver is similar. You could do it yourself, but the App uses a clean visual interface using system commands that are not available using PPL (UserPPL?).

I might not have thought to ask for such an App, but since it's there already, adding area seems like a natural suggestion.

I agree on this too. Nobody told HP to include an application for solving triangles, which in the first instance is pretty straightforward for most and could be programmed. But, since they made the application and it is factory installed, it could be improved, indeed, each of the installed applications could always be improved somewhat, according to the opinions of the users. And I think that adding the area calculation to the triangles application should not require a lot of programming effort from HP, and it would be quite useful, in fact I have 2 programs installed on my HP 50g for triangles that also calculate the perimeter and the area for the triangle in addition to finding the sides, Triangle solver and another called Triangle.
11-11-2020, 01:47 AM
Hello!

Please tell me,
who are elegible to be beta tester and what he/she need to do?

My problem is that I can only contribute only a time per month.

Carlos - Brazil
Time Zone: GMT -3
http://area48.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2020, 11:50 PM
This is a very old thread and there's no beta currently available. If a new public beta is released, then anyone can download and try it for themselves.

Cemetech | YouTube
12-19-2020, 08:14 PM
(12-19-2020 07:29 PM)compsystems Wrote:  I think the HP-Prime development group took a year off,

New public beta test of NumWorks 15.2
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...46#p258146

[Image: sO6wkGMt.png]

Why?? that calculator doesn't even have a CAS (symbolic) mode, so, it doesn't have integrals, derivatives, transforms. HP Prime's OS is far better and intuitive, the dev team does not "take a year off", is because this amazing calculator has reached the most stable features. Also, Prime was released in 2013, so it has had a lot of support.

I really don't know why this obsessions to have Python (even Julia is better and faster) inside a calculator, having a really good programming language (HPPL) to code your own programs.
12-19-2020, 08:39 PM
(12-19-2020 07:29 PM)compsystems Wrote:  I think the HP-Prime development group took a year off,

G3 !!!
12-20-2020, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2020 08:32 PM by jebem.)
Ra ta ta ta ...
Sorry, just kidding, the G3 is a famous automatic rifle used for many years by the Portuguese army and it was designed in the West Germany.

The absence of communication in these forums by HP members is notorious, no matter how busy they are. That never stopped them to post here from time to time before.

My best guess is that the infamous HP policies kicked in since some time ago to stop them to post here as frequently as before.
Or else the HP calculator team is no more in business, and that would be aligned with the HP non existent calculator business on their website and anywhere in the shop shelves.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-22-2020, 06:29 AM
(12-19-2020 08:14 PM)Archanus Wrote:  

New public beta test of NumWorks 15.2
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...46#p258146

[Image: sO6wkGMt.png]

Why?? that calculator doesn't even have a CAS (symbolic) mode, so, it doesn't have integrals, derivatives, transforms. HP Prime's OS is far better and intuitive, the dev team does not "take a year off", is because this amazing calculator has reached the most stable features. Also, Prime was released in 2013, so it has had a lot of support.

I really don't know why this obsessions to have Python (even Julia is better and faster) inside a calculator, having a really good programming language (HPPL) to code your own programs.

Is this supposed to be a joke ? You call HPPL a programming language ? Yes, it has common programming constructs but I wouldn't call it a programming language.
12-22-2020, 10:46 AM
(12-22-2020 06:29 AM)medwatt Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 08:14 PM)Archanus Wrote:  [...]

Is this supposed to be a joke ? You call HPPL a programming language ? Yes, it has common programming constructs but I wouldn't call it a programming language.
Im curious, why wouldnt you call HPPL a programming language? What would you call it?
12-22-2020, 12:05 PM
(12-22-2020 10:46 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 06:29 AM)medwatt Wrote:  Is this supposed to be a joke ? You call HPPL a programming language ? Yes, it has common programming constructs but I wouldn't call it a programming language.
Im curious, why wouldnt you call HPPL a programming language? What would you call it?

IMO it definitely is a Turing-complete programming language, but not one that lends itself to input on the machine on which a program written in that language is supposed to run. You're much better off writing a program using the connection kit (or writing it in your favourite text editor and copy/pasting it into the connection kit), using the virtual HP-Prime to debug it and then copying it to a physical HP-Prime.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
12-22-2020, 12:27 PM
(12-22-2020 12:05 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 10:46 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  Im curious, why wouldnt you call HPPL a programming language? What would you call it?

IMO it definitely is a Turing-complete programming language, but not one that lends itself to input on the machine on which a program written in that language is supposed to run. You're much better off writing a program using the connection kit (or writing it in your favourite text editor and copy/pasting it into the connection kit), using the virtual HP-Prime to debug it and then copying it to a physical HP-Prime.
I agree. I suspect the same can be said for Python or the dialects of BASIC used by other calculator manufacturers. IMHO the last calculator keyboard entry friendly language was the keystroke programming model used on the older RPN machines although it was not easy to decipher a program that someone else had written. An ease of keyboard entry vs ease of understanding compromise.
12-22-2020, 12:58 PM
(12-22-2020 12:27 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I agree. I suspect the same can be said for Python or the dialects of BASIC used by other calculator manufacturers. IMHO the last calculator keyboard entry friendly language was the keystroke programming model used on the older RPN machines although it was not easy to decipher a program that someone else had written. An ease of keyboard entry vs ease of understanding compromise.

Python? Agreed 100%. Just because it's a language being pushed in education doesn't make it "right" on a calculator that makes it difficult to input and also difficult to view on a small screen.

Most machines programmed in BASIC come with a full QWERTY keyboard, so it's a lot easier to input. The screen is the Achilles' heel of those devices. I'm thinking of the HP-71B and the countless Casio and Sharp pocket computers.

I would add RPL to the "easy to input but hard to decipher" group, particularly on the HP-48 series, where you didn't have to dig down 6 levels of menus to find commonly used functions like you do on the 49g+/48gII/50g.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
01-12-2021, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2021 07:56 PM by fs5qc.)
Is the beta still open on iOS ?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)